Brent Valerien Guest

Ice Rink Construction

Hello everyone,

I am new at this and no almost nothing about refigeration. A buddy of mine is HVAC certified and could help me with this little project of mine. Basically I have constructed an ice rink that is 16x40ft and I am using the cold weather to freeze the ice. I live in New England so it's not too bad right now but I have a hard time keeping the ice consistent for my son. This project is for next year. I am looking to adding an economical solution to this and am not sure of the best way to go. I do not want to spend 10,00USD. I do not mind spending 2,000 on a unit and extra for the piping. SO I am looking at used equipment. Here's my list of questions.

1. Do I use air or water cooled?
    2. How many tons will I need?
    3. If I use either air or water, can I use sometype of PVC or Pex combo for distribution under the ice?
    4. AC requirements I would like to stay as low as possible, do to the fact I have 30 amp 240 out there right now in the garage?
    5. Is this even possible in my budget? which would be around 4,000. Over the course of the coming year into next season.

Thanks everyone, I am very handy but obviously don't want to waste my time and money on something that I am unsure of. Most quotes from companies are coming in around 25-50 grand but they will set it up and build the boards, which I have already done just want the equipment.

jeelansharieff Guest

Re: Ice Rink Construction

whats the height of the tank

Brent Valerien Guest

No tank, I have nothing yet. I want to build a new system so not sure which is the right way to do it? So I need help in designing a system if I can while staying in my budget

Hi Brent,
    a hundred years ago I worked on an outdoor ice rink larger than you are planning.
    Basically they had a concrete slab with a 2 inch nib wall around the outside. Then they rolled out a plastic pipe grid with cross flow supply, each pass was approx 4 inches centres. then filled /covered the grid with sand then flooded with water up to top of nib wall around the outside.
    When the ambient temps dropped below freezing, they cranked up a glycol chiller, with a header tank of around 3 metres cubed. They ran system overnight for cheap power rates, and circulated glycol during the day.
    You could use a largish heat pump and heat your house at the same time.
    During the summer they used it for in line roller blade skating rink.

hope this is of interest. magoo

Brent Valerien Guest

Sounds good so far, mind if I pick your brain a little more. Again keeping in mind Im a layman when it comes to refrigeration. I guess Im unsure of the heating my house part. Assuming this is the heat that is given off of running the chiller? Also would a asphalt driveway work or does it need to be concrete? Figuring I would run some type of PEX piping in the same manner, covery it with sand then add a 7 mil poly liner on top of sand and then fill with water. Does this sound about right? So basically the 3 main parts I would need is a holding tank for the glycol or refrigerant, a chiller and a pump to run the fluid through the lines? Thanks for all your help just trying to save a few bucks I do not have the 25 grand that I have been quoted.

Brent Valerien Guest

Also what size PEX would work 1/2 inch or bigger, and what size pump would be required to pull the glycol through the lines, assuming that I would use approximately 4000 feet of continous line. Is that even the best way to do it?

Put the poly on top of concrete or asphalt, sand around pipes then fill with water. 1/2"pipes sound OK. Only suggested concete as you need to have it near perfect level. Remember cross header the pipes so as you have equal length from entry to exit, cuts down pressure drop and pump size. best way to explain, like a step ladder top left entry bottom right exit, so from entry through any cross pipe to exit is always the same length. Probably a 1 HP single phase pump with high pumping head will be close, you dont need high flow rates in each cross branch.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I can't help technically but this website might prove useful...

http://www.mybackyardicerink.com/ice-rink-chillers.html
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Brian_UK
    an excellent post.
    Brent Valerien its all there

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Yup, he just needs the cash now.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

megous Guest

We live in a world in which our fuel resources are shrinking rapidly, growing constantly more expensive and are prone to frequent disruptions in power supply.

megous Guest

We live in a world in which our fuel resources are shrinking rapidly, growing constantly more expensive and are prone to frequent disruptions in power supply.
    '''''''''