Hello everyone,

I am new at this and no almost nothing about refigeration. A buddy of mine is HVAC certified and could help me with this little project of mine. Basically I have constructed an ice rink that is 16x40ft and I am using the cold weather to freeze the ice. I live in New England so it's not too bad right now but I have a hard time keeping the ice consistent for my son. This project is for next year. I am looking to adding an economical solution to this and am not sure of the best way to go. I do not want to spend 10,00USD. I do not mind spending 2,000 on a unit and extra for the piping. SO I am looking at used equipment. Here's my list of questions.

1. Do I use air or water cooled?
2. How many tons will I need?
3. If I use either air or water, can I use sometype of PVC or Pex combo for distribution under the ice?
4. AC requirements I would like to stay as low as possible, do to the fact I have 30 amp 240 out there right now in the garage?
5. Is this even possible in my budget? which would be around 4,000. Over the course of the coming year into next season.

Thanks everyone, I am very handy but obviously don't want to waste my time and money on something that I am unsure of. Most quotes from companies are coming in around 25-50 grand but they will set it up and build the boards, which I have already done just want the equipment.