midonald Guest

Can anyone give advice about heat pump quandry?

Hi folks. i wonder if anyone can help me with a central heating quandry?
    I think I have decided to get involved with the recently announced renewable heat thingy. I thought it would simply be a matter of making a decision then going ahead with a heat pump and underfloor heating. However I have subsequently come across a heat distribution system it looks like I should consider but don't know why(I'm no heat engineer!!).
    The systems main claims over UFH from what I can see are a constant flow and return drop of 5 degrees, a sensor/thermostat operating to 1 tenth of a degree, and a response time of 15/20mins. So I think it should cost less to run than UFH but how would it effect the efficiency of the heat pump? That is my main concern; that I could lose at one end what I gain at the other.
    Any input at all would help.
    Hope I've got the right site.
    Thanks

Re: Can anyone give advice about heat pump quandry?

Quote Originally Posted by midonald View Post
    Hi folks. i wonder if anyone can help me with a central heating quandry?
    I think I have decided to get involved with the recently announced renewable heat thingy. I thought it would simply be a matter of making a decision then going ahead with a heat pump and underfloor heating. However I have subsequently come across a heat distribution system it looks like I should consider but don't know why(I'm no heat engineer!!).
    The systems main claims over UFH from what I can see are a constant flow and return drop of 5 degrees, a sensor/thermostat operating to 1 tenth of a degree, and a response time of 15/20mins. So I think it should cost less to run than UFH but how would it effect the efficiency of the heat pump? That is my main concern; that I could lose at one end what I gain at the other.
    Any input at all would help.
    Hope I've got the right site.
    Thanks
    What temp does the system run at?
    Any system that has a quick heat up will have a quick cool down so you'll have to install a buffer tank if using a HP. This takes up space and pushes up the cost of the system.

I think you need to look into how all these systems work before you get involved in the "renewable heat thingy" as you're on a hiding to nothing if you don't know what you're selling and installing. You'll create so many problems for yourself it will make your head spin

Btw a properly designed ufh system should have a differential of 5k between inlet and outlet

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Perhaps if you gave us the link to this 'wonder' device we might be able to comment on it more fruitfully.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi Brian thanks for that. The system is called Best Board radiant heating. http://www.bestboard.at/en/technik.php
    The layman in me says that the heat pump will have less work to do therefore be more effective/efficient.
    But I simply do not know.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    So instead of using UFH you are thinking about a skirting heater, finned pipe.

I think you need to consider the installed cost of each system also the UFH will heat the structure and provide a 'steady' response to heat input/output.

The skirting heat heats the air only can, in some cases, restrict your use of wall space rather like radiators.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    So instead of using UFH you are thinking about a skirting heater, finned pipe.

I think you need to consider the installed cost of each system also the UFH will heat the structure and provide a 'steady' response to heat input/output.

The skirting heat heats the air only can, in some cases, restrict your use of wall space rather like radiators.
    Ufh is far superior to this product for use with a HP. HP's like long running periods and long shut down periods, which is what you get with ufh because of the heat storage in your screed.
    This product will have no storage and so will require a buffer storage tank incorporated into the system to give an efficient return. Otherwise you'll end up with the compressor starting and stoping 20 times a day, which will destroy your compressors life expectancy and drive up bills

Skirting heaters, or as we call them, convectors are the least efficient heating method around. Where UfH can use 30-35c, convectors need 80c and designed with 10-15C deltaT, unless you want to put them on every sq foot of wall. They are cheap in comparison but a boiler is needed.

Even with your cold snap, ASHPs are the way to go but you should do a high mass floor heat system.