David A. Guest

Hotpoint Mistral with a mind of it's own

Hi there, I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice please – We have a Hotpoint Mistral approx 8years old and have historically had some of the more common problems listed on this forum (if only I had found you sooner!).

We now have a new problem - Everything over the last 6 – 8 weeks is too cold! – The freezer temperature varies from -18 to -22 although the contents seem to be really cold (i.e. Ice cream is set like concrete!) and the contents also have a frost build up/ice on them – In addition, the upper section keeps freezing everything despite being set at 4 or 5. In fact, changing the temperature settings makes no noticeable difference.

I have cleared out the dusty heat exchange area and the fridge/freezer door seals appear all OK. Is it likely to be the thermistors and if so which ones (freezer or top section or both?!). Many thanks.

Re: Hotpoint Mistral with a mind of it's own

Not being an expert on domestic fridge freezers, but your problem seems to be about a lack of control, so I would suggest that the thermostat or thermostat control system may be faulty.

You mention that the fridge is -18 to -22, well, this is quite normal, but the over cooling in the fridge section isn't. Do you hear the compressor running all the time or does it switch off every now and again.

If it switches off then the problem could be the flap between the fridge freezer section being stuck in the open position.

Maybe one of our domestic experts will be along soon to offer advice.

David A. Guest

Hi Frank, thanks for this - yes, the compressor does turn off and on so it may be the flap . . . but having just had a quick look for one, could you tell me where it is and how do I access it? - Thanks.

need to replace thermistors

David A. Guest

Thanks - so it sounds as if it's just a case of (switching off,) opening up and replacing two (I think that I have read somewhere else a yellow and a green) thermistors and away I go! - Many thanks.

We have just had exactly the same problem, engineer reckons it is the motorised baffle staying open.

David A. Guest

Hi, does this mean that the engineer hasn't repaired it yet? - I'd be interested to hear how you get on as my wife did a massive shop and has filled the freezer (and jammed all the draws shut!). - I am going to have to wait a few weeks before I actually have a go at the repair(s). - Thanks