Oxy/Acetylene porta-pac

I was informed of a situation recently where a House in Exeter was on fire.
    When the fire brigade arrived the householder informed them that he had Oxy/acetylene stored in the Garage.

The firemen set up a water curtain and watched the house burn!

The Householders Insurance then refused his fire cover. Stating that because of the Fire Brigades limited action. (as a result of the acetylene being stored on the premises).

I store mine in a steel locker outside the house but it has me wondering whether to return the cylinders I hold to the depot?

It appears that the more worldly wise of my colleagues have not stored acetylene at home for years.

Can anyone advise.
    Grizzly

Re: Oxy/Acetylene porta-pac

Typical insurance company. Not like much is salvageable after a house fire anyway, what is not burned or ruined by smoke is ruined by water anyway, so it's a 100% loss regardless normally. What a way to weasel out of insurance.
    I keep mine in my vehicle or a detached shed when I have to empty out my vehicle for any reason.

I wont even keep it in the van overnight i use what i need then return to the supplier if i need it overnight then i store on site if they have the correct storage facilities if not then back to the suppliers for the next day

I've a bottle in the van, and one in the garage too after the time it took boc to deliver last time, better hope the house don't catch fire

Have been thinking of using propylene instead of acetylene, (its whats in mapp gas cans now) but would prefer a bigger bottle.

On a side note found out my local calor gas place does returnable mapp bottles for about the same price as the disposable ones, which is nice as it seems wastefull to chuck them away after one use.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by james10 View Post
    I wont even keep it in the van overnight i use what i need then return to the supplier if i need it overnight then i store on site if they have the correct storage facilities if not then back to the suppliers for the next day
    I'm a little confused with this James

How can you get a cylinder of Acetylene from the suppliers, use what you want on site and then take it back to the supplier at night?

We have to rent our cylinders and then buy the gas inside via refills.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I'm a little confused with this James

How can you get a cylinder of Acetylene from the suppliers, use what you want on site and then take it back to the supplier at night?

We have to rent our cylinders and then buy the gas inside via refills.
    Whenever we quote for a job the full cost of oxy/accet is included in the quote ie gas, cylinder rental etc if there is any left in the cylinder then it is still returned as empty and a new one purchased next time i need it, the guys at my local suppliers are good lads and dont mind me leaving cylinders overnight they are keen to see gases stored correctly
    Last edited by james10; 15-12-2010 at 08:50 PM.

sounds like a very wasteful way of using the resources especially in this day and age.

I can't see a problem with keeping a bottle in a van, as long as it's secured correctly..

Tis a bit dodgy keeping any sort of bottles at home though, oxy, acet or refrigerant...

legally in the uk refrigerant bottles are allowed to be stored indoors in a designated area but all combustables have to be stored out side the building in cages or compounds. also i was once told you are only allowed to carry a maximum of for small refrigerant cylinders in the working vehicle im not sure how true that is though?

Typical insurance companies, any slight out clause and they walk away.
    Would the same apply to a BBQ bottle, or gas water heater, or gas heating, propane refrigerator. Sounds to me the Fire Service over-reacted.
    Could be good test case to go to Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    Typical insurance companies, any slight out clause and they walk away.
    Would the same apply to a BBQ bottle, or gas water heater, or gas heating, propane refrigerator. Sounds to me the Fire Service over-reacted.
    Could be good test case to go to Court.
    Now you are applying good old logic, my friend.
    In the U.K. Acetylene has become the new pariah!

Although to be fair to the fire brigade when heated Acetylene becomes highly unstable and can self ignite.

I for one would not like to be anywhere near one when it did!

I now have several sites where it's use is either banned or I have to obtain special permission.
    Before i can bring it on-site and use it!
    Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Frosty View Post
    sounds like a very wasteful way of using the resources especially in this day and age.
    It does i know but i would rather waste the lot than find myself in the same situation as the guy who lost his house the company i work for are quite generous but i doubt they would rebuild my house and replace all my possesion's

im sure if u keep a set in the van and when they are getting low you could replace them then as not all jobs require the use of a full set unless on big jobs. just thinking of the environment by any chance james are you on the welham forum for fishing?

was on a boc traing course and the trainer said you need to informe insurance company if you store gas bottles at home even bbq bottles

im sure if u keep a set in the van and when they are getting low you could replace them then as not all jobs require the use of a full set unless on big jobs. just thinking of the environment by any chance james are you on the welham forum for fishing?
    I could keep them on the van, but the firm does not cover me to do so and if anything (unlikely i know) to happen it's me who's up s**t creek, for not following there rules, also the various governing bodies out there recomend that gas cylinders of all kinds should not be stored in enclosed veichle's longer than is necessary to transport to the required location. I do however try to avoid waste by only using the smallest bottles i can get away with or passing to another engineer who may need it

fair enough mate. are you on the welham forum?

fair enough mate. are you on the welham forum?
    Dave The Rave?

that is me my friend :-)