Covering Altherma Outdoor Unit

During the past couple of weeks with the serious cold snap the amount of ice on my outdoor unit has increased considerably. This is causing the unit to spend a good bit of time in the defrosting cycle. I was thinking about putting an insulated structure around it to see would this reduce the amout of ice forming. I know that the ice forming is just a by product of the way the system works but if I could decrease it a bit it might spend less time defrosting, anyone ever tried this or think it is a good/bad idea??

Re: Covering Altherma Outdoor Unit

Quote Originally Posted by rebellad View Post
    During the past couple of weeks with the serious cold snap the amount of ice on my outdoor unit has increased considerably. This is causing the unit to spend a good bit of time in the defrosting cycle. I was thinking about putting an insulated structure around it to see would this reduce the amout of ice forming. I know that the ice forming is just a by product of the way the system works but if I could decrease it a bit it might spend less time defrosting, anyone ever tried this or think it is a good/bad idea??

bad idea all round.. DON'T

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    bad idea all round.. DON'T
    Thanks, any particular reason why?? I am not considering covering the unit completely it would be like putting a shed around it more than anything else, there would be plenty of room for air circulation - also I was thinking that this would prevent the unit from weathering excessively as well.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

The frost/ice comes from the air passing through the coil.

Putting a structure around it, with adequate ventilation, will not stop the ambient air being drawn through the unit.

If you actually build a shed around the unit to fully enclose it then it will turn into a cold room and generate ice even better.

By all means keep snow off it or from it but do not restrict the airflow through it.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015