Thread: Level 3

Level 3

Hi I have just started my Level 3, can anyone reccommend any books for this course thanks

Re: Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by markh85 View Post
    Hi I have just started my Level 3, can anyone reccommend any books for this course thanks

Hi Mark.

The obvious ones are Dosset and Modern Refrigeration.

Both about Ģ30 but you can sometimes oick them up from ebay.

Make sure you buy a version with metric SI units not imperial.

All the best

taz

Ok thanks Ive found this Refrigeration and Air - Conditioning by Hundy New Book but im unsure as I don't want to waste my money on a book that isnt going to help me for level 3

Quote Originally Posted by markh85 View Post
    Ok thanks Ive found this Refrigeration and Air - Conditioning by Hundy New Book but im unsure as I don't want to waste my money on a book that isnt going to help me for level 3

Where are you doing the training??

Is there a library??

For level 3 you can't go wrong with Dossat..

All the best

taz

Hi no there isn't im training at Ellis. Ok thanks I'll try and find them

What about modern refrigeration and aircondioning Althouse, Turnquist, and Bracciano. A very good book cover all underpinning knowledge for engineers/techs, On the pricey side though, in excess of seventy quid! And it has SI and imperial units in there for reference purposes. See if you can get it as a Crimbo presi.

I think they're on with the 18th edition of the book now, it tends to cover more for the North American market, and makes more references to the EPA, rather than the F gas regulations, but they all lead to the same thing. However the copy that I have is some twenty eight years old, but even back then it had exellent underpinning knowledge. And answered a lot of questions about the technical side of the job, that the guys I worked with couldn't.

Ellis training... is that HAL training in Doncaster? I only thought that Stuart did the 2078/9.

No it's just off the m25 near potters bar very good training facitlitys thanks for your help

The sceince behind level three is just a progression from L2 but deeper and more maths.
    The technology side deals in complex equipment such as multiple comps, evaps and oil management.
    System loading / unloading, back pressure regulators and crankcase protection.
    Hot gas / electric defrost, reverse cycle and inverters.

All the best

taz

And three phase

The older versions of Dossat are fine on their own. The newest is missing some needed material such as the old chapters on motors. Because of this a supplementary book such as Modern Refrigeration & Air Conditioning is required but then generally only the Dossat is suitable for level 3.

You should read Dossat cover to cover at least twice during the year doing as many of the pressure enthalpy and psychometric problems as possible.

You should point John Ellis to this article:
    http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...d.php?p=209306

I wrote that article because at the last RAC show John was giving a talk on F-Gas. An engineer in the crowd asked what of the residual charge after recovery could be used as a trace. John replied that the residual amount makes for a good trace but John emphasized that the engineer should not add so much nitrogen as to condense the trace out of detection. I realised John does not understand Psychrometrics or the basic gas laws so I wrote that article and published it in the RAC Service Engineer magazine. I'm sure he knows a bunch other stuff enough to compensate though

I give free lectures to our subcontractors so long as they come to my office and don't expect me to go to them.

Any student can come to any of my lectures for free so long as they can prove they are a student on a course related to the lecture material.

My lecture of Psychrometrics and Pressure Enthalpy are by far the best in the UK and possibly the world. I have had feedback from degree's engineers working as designers and sales for the biggest of OEM's in the UK who have attended training on these subjects in France and the USA.

This next weekend Saturday I am giving a lecture on general troubleshooting - logging - subcool and superheat, electrics from IR drop methods to electronics including inverters. Come along if you want - bring your student card.