I`ve seen guys do some stupid things but...

....this one really sent shivers down my spine.
    I was working in a plasterboard factory the other day and I saw a guy blowing the dust off his dirty overalls with the oxy from his burning torch. With him being saturated in pure oxygen all it required was a patch of grease or oil on him and he`d have been a human fireball.
    I was going to tell him how dangerous it was but Ive learnt from experience it`s better to leave people to thier own stupidity
    I had a burn up in my garden last night and the heat from it and the mental picture of that guy engulfed in flames turned my stomach and made me wonder how I would have dealt with him had he caught fire.

Re: I`ve seen guys do some stupid things but...

I can understand why you were disturbed by what you saw Glenn.
    You can be weighed down by rafts of H&S paperwork.
    But you can't stop idiots or stupidity.
    The guy cannot of been qualified to use the cutting torch surely?
    Grizzly

I recall an office building with an oil fired boiler whose ignition didn't work. Whenever they needed heat, the maintenance man would open up the oil valve and then throw in a lit rag.
    Stupidity is everywhere.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Makes you realise why firms started the Don't Walk By safety schemes doesn't it.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

man i used to do some crazy stuff,wash my hands in diesel,drive without a licence,chase after ugly women,jump off hieghts,and worst of all drink to excess lol.

Finished up on a coldroom job, went over to the clients washbasin, no soap but plenty of dishwashing detergent in origional squirt bottles. Picked the one with the least amount in it and straight away knew it was not for hands.. spent 10 mins getting bleech concentrate off..

Just remembered a stupid thing I did a few years back. Looking for a drum to put waste oil in, the one I found had a small amount of liquid in it. For some reason I took a good sniff of it....it was ammonia, it nearly blew my head off. I`m only glad I don`t work with that stuff.

.While working on a vehicle a/c at a motor mechanics shop, one mechanic had drained fuel out of car tank into 20 litre drum, left lid off while another mechanic in next bay was grinding away with sparks falling very close to container... Unleaded fuel.

Yesterday a contractor welder on our site went and cut off a 2" liquid pipe with a angle grinder, the plant were blown down and vented but he went and cut it where liquid ammonia is still lying in the pipe and burned himself into hospital.

DO NOT CUT A PIPE THATS FROZEN UP !!!! ITS A SIGN THAT THERE IS STILL LIQUID IN THE PIPE A HOLE
    THE BEST WAY OF LEARNING IS TO DO IT YOURSELF!!!

We must be our brothers keeper, it is clear that we are all capable of making a mistake, or bad decision and by the grace of god survived it, I would only hope that someone would stop me from doing something so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodiev View Post
    Yesterday a contractor welder on our site went and cut off a 2" liquid pipe with a angle grinder, the plant were blown down and vented but he went and cut it where liquid ammonia is still lying in the pipe and burned himself into hospital.

DO NOT CUT A PIPE THATS FROZEN UP !!!! ITS A SIGN THAT THERE IS STILL LIQUID IN THE PIPE A HOLE

eVEN BETTER WHEN I WAS WORKING AT SASOL THE GUY WAS SAT ON THE PIPE HE WAS CUTTING BETWEEN TWO BRACKETS ...... NO NEED TO MENTION WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM!

I was filling LOx from a tank when I was disturbed by a snake moving in the trolley in the room. Did the only thing possible and used the vent to cryofreeze it, and when I was suitably engulfed in a cloud stopped filling the by now full tank and went hunting for my now solid snake. Only problem was the gloves are clumsy, dropped it and it broke into pieces. Nice thing about handling LOx is that you NEVER use shoe polish, quite handy that was.