heavyd1 Guest

Whirlpool 20RB D4, side by side American fridge freezer not getting cold.

I have a whirlpool american fridge/freezer which is now 3 months out of warranty and just developed a fault. The fridge and freezer have stopped getting cold but the display says all is fine -18 for the freezer +4 for the fridge . I first noticed that the ice cubes were melting, so i checked the food and sure enough the frozen food on the top couple of shelves was getting soft , i removed all the food . It will not make ice cubes either , but the back wall of the freezer unit is icing over quite badly which it has never done before. There are no red lights or anything flashing on the display panel. The motor still seems to run ok , this can be heard.
    Any suggestions ???

heavyd1 Guest

Re: Whirlpool 20RB D4, side by side American fridge freezer not getting cold.

I'd just like to add , the water works ok and is chilled and the ice dispenser works fine. It doesn't produce the ice to fill the bucket.

Sarcasticmaster Guest

One of the following is bad: defrost timer/board, defrost termination thermostat/bi-metal, or defrost heater.

yair718 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticmaster View Post
    One of the following is bad: defrost timer/board, defrost termination thermostat/bi-metal, or defrost heater.

defrost termination thermostat seems like i cought up on this

hako Guest

G'Day,
    We had an identical problem with our side by side fridge - temp displays OK but ice melting. Turned out the vents at the rear of the frig are located near the floor and were almost blocked with hairs/dust etc which stopped airflow to the compressor. Spoke to a repairer and he said this problem was fairly common especially with newer smooth back Korean made fridges and usually overlooked. Sometimes the fix is simple.
    Good Luck.