Thread: Tophat?

Tophat?

Hi,
    I'm venturing further into the industrial field and my new boss refered to the term 'Tophat' when talking about some compressors and solenoid unloaders. I have a feeling it was to do with the pipework joining the unloaders solenoid oil together. Can somebody enlighted me as to what 'Tophat' would refer to as far as UK industrial wet systems ammonia or *****. I've never heard the term before but it's more than likely something i know but haven't put a name to.

Merci

Put the screwdriver down and step away from the expansion valve !!!! OK Gary i won't touch it unless instructed.

Re: Tophat?

Cant you just ask him what he means ?

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post
    Cant you just ask him what he means ?

I just get the impression that he thinks that someone of my level would know this and i just don't want to show myself up, i'm due to start next week. But thanks for all your help so far.
    Put the screwdriver down and step away from the expansion valve !!!! OK Gary i won't touch it unless instructed.

Sorry' I don't accept "someone my level"/
    We are all equal. Even the Prime Minister gets tooth ace, cuts and hemorrhoids.

Its how you approach him. Its the respect some people in higher positions think they should get.

Let me tell you a little story, I went to buy a new van last year. As a self employed person, every penny count.
    I have asked for a discount of 20% but the salesman could only give me 5%. Went on in the company ladder till I got to big boss office, asked him the same question but differently, " Is 20% discount too much for a person who comes for the fifth time to buy a new van?"
    He gave me 15% + a toe-bar, electronic anti theft system and steel protector for under the engine.

Its how you say things, not what you say. Remember.
    Good luck with the Tophat and when you find out, let me know too cause I don't have a clue.

I'm sure they'll all be here with the answer shortly.

It could be the central set of pipe work on a multi compressor pack?

Theres 10 points for the right answer.

I don't know but i now have this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizrfcAI13A

stuck in my head

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

The only reference I can find that might get close is about Top-Hat Bushes.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by get the gauges View Post
    Hi,
    I'm venturing further into the industrial field and my new boss refered to the term 'Tophat' when talking about some compressors and solenoid unloaders. I have a feeling it was to do with the pipework joining the unloaders solenoid oil together. Can somebody enlighted me as to what 'Tophat' would refer to as far as UK industrial wet systems ammonia or *****. I've never heard the term before but it's more than likely something i know but haven't put a name to.

Merci
    I think this is a reference to the top hat suction stopper for suction cut-off compressor unloading?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    I don't know but i now have this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizrfcAI13A

stuck in my head
    Erm.... i don't think thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    The only reference I can find that might get close is about Top-Hat Bushes.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
    They'd make a nice top hat for a hamster.

Quote Originally Posted by DTLarca View Post
    I think this is a reference to the top hat suction stopper for suction cut-off compressor unloading?
    Thats a very angular squareish comp is it a copeland?

It cuts off the suction to some cylinders when the solenoid energises does it?

So you reckon these are known as top hat arrangements?

Thanks for the info and all the effort with the pics.

I am with Chemi, just ask the guy!
    We all use different terms in this industry (as i have just found out on other threads), that does not mean you do not know what he is actually talking about, and if you dont, a good chance to learn.