mizakzazy Guest

How's effective ref HC to replace HFC R134?

Hi, I am quite new in refrigeration industry. There has been a trend in my country to introduce 'green refrigerant' to replace common R134 in chillers? Just to know whether it is not just a hype or it's truly efficient compared to common refrigerant? Need to know opinion from all members.

Re: How's effective ref HC to replace HFC R134?

Quote Originally Posted by mizakzazy View Post
    Hi, I am quite new in refrigeration industry. There has been a trend in my country to introduce 'green refrigerant' to replace common R134 in chillers?
    Welcome in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by mizakzazy View Post
    Just to know whether it is not just a hype or it's truly efficient compared to common refrigerant? Need to know opinion from all members.
    Green and efficient are not synonyms. HC are much more eco-compatible than fluorinated refrigerants, and have similar efficiency although here your mileage may vary depending on the actual application.
    Basicly, HC have a lower primary co2 footprint, and may have a slightly higher or lower secondary co2 footprint depending on the actual application.

The big drawback is that they are extremely flammable, and I wouldn't suggest to adopt such refrigerants unless the society is ready to take the responsibility and the risk, the legislation is encompassing and complied to, and the engineers are properly trained.

Re: How's effective ref HC to replace HFC R134?

Hello and welcome, As you say you are new to the industry I suggest you take some time and read here and elsewhere much of the discussion regarding hydrocarbons (HC) as refrigerants. From a purely chemical and thermodynamic standpoint the HC molecules have decent refrigerant performance properties, depending on the type of system. From a practical standpoint the extreme flammability of these gases is a huge risk hurdle to overcome versus other gases in many applications and geographies. It continues to evolve with time.