Chris520 Guest

How to make residential scroll compressor into VFD compressor

Hey,

Im in the process of building my own house. For my heating /cooling system id like to form my own air/air heat pump. I was thinking of buying a normal 3ton heat pump and doing some modifications to make it more efficient.
    Id like to make the compressor into a VFD compressor and have the heat pump hooked upto my hot water tank. My main goal is to be able to control the heat pump, by VFD, and operate its hz from inputs from the temperature of water from hot water tank and from room temperature of zone 1 and zone 2 since house will have 2 floors. I guess im looking for advice on what kind of VFD to buy or if this idea is just stupid lol. Any info. greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Re: How to make residential scroll compressor into VFD compressor

Sounds like a good project. Which part of Canada are you in? You might want to reconsider about the air to air heat pump and opt for a ground source heat pump. If your in a Province where the temperature gets down to -40, an air to air system will struggle to generate any heat. Even the mits units struggle when your down to -20 with an air to air system, and they're one of the leading split/packaged systems.

What is the make of system your putting in? Quite a lot of the newer systems come with vvf drives as standard on the higher tonnage models. If its not vvf driven then you may have to contact the manufacturer to see if their compressor is compatible to be vvf driven. Usually its not a problem but these days with warranty clauses, its best to be safe than sorry.