nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Illegal practices

I was trawling through some sites the other day looking for some info when I stumbled across a site where they give advise for diy installation of ac splits.

I was curious what instruction would be given to the diyer for him to evacuate the system on completion.

Simple .... just pressurise the lines from the condensing unit and then press the little stem in the valve to purge the air. For good luck do it a second time!

Page 5. http://www.orionair.co.uk/diy%20air%...g%20manual.htm
    Last edited by nevgee; 04-11-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

Re: Illegal practices

nice english and why did i spend 3 years at college when i could of looked on there site !

You must always bear in mind that the origins of the modern day split system came out of the need to sell air con to the hot climate countries, mostly where the systems were likely to be installed in areas where a technically minded tooled up guy did not exist.

Build them bullet proof and all selve protecting. Then think of easy way to install and purge ... Precharged units were the answer.

That's why builders and Plumbers could do it here, but for the grace of the EU and "f" Gas we may be saved
    Last edited by nevgee; 04-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

Why is this post in the CPU Overclockers section?

Cos I am stupid .. sorry

I need sustenance

www.ossett-brewery.co.uk
    Last edited by nevgee; 04-11-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Cos I is daft

I would have moved it but I don't have permissions in this section

I have 2 cheap splits here. The installation instructions *FROM THE MANUFACTURER* explain in detail how to use the refrigerant to purge the lines. If this is how sparkies install split A/C's it's no wonder they (mostly) last just long enough to get past the warranty.

Hrm.. how do I edit my post? Anyway, I had a look at the link in the top post, and surprise surprise, it's a scanned version of the instructions I have here. Branded PYE in Australia. Obviously cheap Chinese junk.

Oh well, I did buy them from E-bay

johnnyLaw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon View Post
    nice english and why did i spend 3 years at college when i could of looked on there site !
    You went to three years of college for mini split/evacuation!!!?! My God where did you go? University of Alabama?

And while certainly it is illegal to vent the gas into the atmosphere, it is not illegal to buy the equipment and even connect it as long as you don't energize or charge the system. It's not even illegal for regular people to buy refrigerant as long as they don't break the cap on it. I am a very technical DIYer and I can pretty much guarantee that it didn't take me three years of college to figure out how to vacuum a system nor to evacuate an old one. It is protectionism like this that gives the HVAc business contractor a baaaaaaadddddd name. No wonder there are so many DIYers. Can do AT LEAST as good of a job as the flunkie who put in my first three systems and probably a better job than most "professionals". I have a vacuum pump and a recovery system, does that mean that I need three years of college?

Of course u don't need to go to college for 3 years or 4 years as it is here but u do need it when it comes to fixing these systems and to understand there full operation and all the theory that is involved with a/c and ref. I have no prob with people who want to install there own units but don't complain when it lasts only a few years and it costs u a fortune to have a pro repaire it. I spend more and more time looking at these units lately because they are badly installed. U do seem well kitted out especialy with your recovery unit. But there is also a Safty issue with diy units. Does everyone who fits one of these units leak check and strenght test before operation?

as far as three years at colledge good on you for for learning and i agree why do we as registered engineers spend thousands on training when a plumber can go in to a pluming supplies and buy a dispossable can of pipe freeze with its main part being r134a straight to atmosphere why

Quote Originally Posted by charlie patt View Post
    as far as three years at colledge good on you for for learning and i agree why do we as registered engineers spend thousands on training when a plumber can go in to a pluming supplies and buy a dispossable can of pipe freeze with its main part being r134a straight to atmosphere why
    Its not the main part being R134a it is R134a .

I do have a tale to tell but not here and I do agree with your sentiments