RichardPowditch Guest

Question C&G 2079 - A couple of questions

Hi all

I wonder if you could help me out on some questions regarding the C&G 2079 course that I am due to take soon.

However first I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Richard, but everyone calls me Stan. I've been a Refrigeration Engineer for little over 35years now where I learnt all I now in the states.

I moved from the states to the sunny shores of the UK a little over a year ago. It wasn't long before I found out about these wonderful F-gas regs you have set up over here.

Up-to now I have been working with no qualification that the UK will accept (I have a few from the states that I got about 30 years back, which one section of the course involved sticking a hose over the garden fence to vent SO2 and laugh gently as you watch the geraniums turn to dust. I think people may frown upon such situations these days), and have decided that before your government sets up a task force to hunt scum like me down, I better get legal & above board.

I'm pretty comfortable with the theory side of things, as the people I'm doing the course with sent some good stuff, and practice exams which I believe I'm passing with ease, however It does bring me to my first question :

1. What is the pass mark in regards to the theory side of things? Is it 80%?

The rest of the questions is with regards to the piratical side.

2. How do I set up the recovery pump? In the states (and for the last year here) I would connect the gauges to the high & low side of the equipment, purge the lines, connect to the recovery pump, purge the line from the recovery pump to the recovery bottle, connect to the recovery bottle, open all valves (on the manifold & recovery pump) and then start recovering. The thing I'm worried about is the purging bit. Am I able to still do that, or is there a more acceptable way of doing it?

3. I'm guessing that I will be expected to use Virgin refrigerant, and not the stuff I just recovered?

4. I understand that I am to braze two bits of copper together, to later place on the test rig. Will there be a choice of Phoson & silver solder, and if so Is there any reason why I should not use Phoson when brazing copper to copper?

5. When nitrogen testing, how long will they expect me to wait? Usually I would inspect for leaks immediately then (on smaller systems) give it a couple of hours, check the pressure to see if it has dropped then inspect for leaks again. On larger systems I would leave it 24hrs. What I plan to do is point out to the instructor that under normal conditions I would leave the system for at least 4 hours and inspect for leaks again.

6. What sort of size test rig we talking about? In my mind I can see a normal split TEV system (Like you would find in a small could room) mounted on a rectangle slab with a single/ dual fan evaporator & Hermetically Sealed compressor.

7. On the test notes, it points out a spare compressor to one side. I can only think of two reasons why it would be there, but I can't see why they would test my ability to change the compressor, so maybe it's an oil change? If it is an oil change can you provide some information on the correct process to do this?

That's all for now, although I'm sure some other questions will pop up between now & the test.

Thank you in advance for any help & advice

Stan

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: C&G 2079 - A couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPowditch View Post

Welcome Stan, sorry don't know the answer to that one; I believe that it can change depending on the results of the day. It's all computerised.

2. How do I set up the recovery pump? In the states (and for the last year here) I would connect the gauges to the high & low side of the equipment, purge the lines, connect to the recovery pump, purge the line from the recovery pump to the recovery bottle, connect to the recovery bottle, open all valves (on the manifold & recovery pump) and then start recovering. The thing I'm worried about is the purging bit. Am I able to still do that, or is there a more acceptable way of doing it?
    You've got it covered I think. The Regs do allow for/expect a small percentage of leakage from the service hoses during connection/disconnection.
    3. I'm guessing that I will be expected to use Virgin refrigerant, and not the stuff I just recovered?
    Doubt it, they'll reuse the recovered as much as possible but it does depend on the refrigerant being used.
    4. I understand that I am to braze two bits of copper together, to later place on the test rig. Will there be a choice of Phoson & silver solder, and if so Is there any reason why I should not use Phoson when brazing copper to copper?
    Basic brazing rod will be supplied. The test should be to make a swaged joint, braze it and then cut it open to confirm penetration.
    5. When nitrogen testing, how long will they expect me to wait? Usually I would inspect for leaks immediately then (on smaller systems) give it a couple of hours, check the pressure to see if it has dropped then inspect for leaks again. On larger systems I would leave it 24hrs. What I plan to do is point out to the instructor that under normal conditions I would leave the system for at least 4 hours and inspect for leaks again.
    These tests are to show you ability and use of equipment. The test could be as short as 5 minutes, all depends on how they set the test up.
    6. What sort of size test rig we talking about? In my mind I can see a normal split TEV system (Like you would find in a small cold room) mounted on a rectangle slab with a single/ dual fan evaporator & Hermetically Sealed compressor.
    You've got it in one.
    7. On the test notes, it points out a spare compressor to one side. I can only think of two reasons why it would be there, but I can't see why they would test my ability to change the compressor, so maybe it's an oil change? If it is an oil change can you provide some information on the correct process to do this?
    Sorry, no idea; didn't have that on my test (CITB not C&G)
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Re: C&G 2079 - A couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPowditch View Post
    Hi all

I wonder if you could help me out on some questions regarding the C&G 2079 course that I am due to take soon.

However first I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Richard, but everyone calls me Stan. I've been a Refrigeration Engineer for little over 35years now where I learnt all I now in the states.

I moved from the states to the sunny shores of the UK a little over a year ago. It wasn't long before I found out about these wonderful F-gas regs you have set up over here.

Up-to now I have been working with no qualification that the UK will accept (I have a few from the states that I got about 30 years back, which one section of the course involved sticking a hose over the garden fence to vent SO2 and laugh gently as you watch the geraniums turn to dust. I think people may frown upon such situations these days), and have decided that before your government sets up a task force to hunt scum like me down, I better get legal & above board.

I'm pretty comfortable with the theory side of things, as the people I'm doing the course with sent some good stuff, and practice exams which I believe I'm passing with ease, however It does bring me to my first question :

The rest of the questions is with regards to the piratical side.

6. What sort of size test rig we talking about? In my mind I can see a normal split TEV system (Like you would find in a small could room) mounted on a rectangle slab with a single/ dual fan evaporator & Hermetically Sealed compressor.

That's all for now, although I'm sure some other questions will pop up between now & the test.

Thank you in advance for any help & advice

Stan

As Brian says you have most of the information.

If you are doing the assessment only then you would be expected to
    walk up and carry out the assessment without any help or practice.
    If you are doing a 1, 2 or 3 day training course with assessment then
    they will let you play with the equipment first so you are comfortable with the thing.

Just remember you can do anything that you want on the assessment as
    long as you do not contaminate the system or lose too much refrigerant.

There will be a natural progresion to the assessment because of the way it
    is designed to work but as long as you
    are within the the time limits you will be fine.

By the way you sound like you know what you are on with so just be
    yourself and do what you normaly do.

Do not try to impress the assessor (he will have seen it all) just be carfull
    and mythodical. There should not be any tricks or traps on the system so
    it will be a straight forward assessment. If somthing goes wrong, deal with
    and keep calm.

taz

Last edited by taz24; 26-10-2010 at 09:02 AM.