Paul-M Guest

Liquid Return & Discharge Pipework Selection and Design

Could anyone offer me some advice please?

I'm about to begin an installation where the plant room containing the compressor receiver set is on a first floor approximately 4m above the condenser situated outside at ground level. Should I be allowing for any special considerations with the pipe sizing and the actual design of the discharge and liquid return pipework because of their relative positions, maybe keeping the liquid return velocity on the high side because of the 4m lift?

Any advice received would be most welcome

Re: Liquid Return & Discharge Pipework Selection and Design

Bad design. I would put the receiver at ground level or invert the condenser and the receiver relative positions.
    Anyway, ASHRAE refrigeration fundamentals (2005) has a chapter dedicated to solve this type of problems.

Paul-M Guest

That's potentially a problem also; unfortunately I do not have access to the ASRAE manual, where online can I read the relevant chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-M View Post
    That's potentially a problem also; unfortunately I do not have access to the ASRAE manual, where online can I read the relevant chapter?
    You can't, it's protected by copyright, but if you are familiar with "the bay", you'll find it there.
    I checked my copy, and in no chapter the receiver is placed above the condenser, therefore I'm prone to believe that your layout is not going to work.