Liebherr kgnves3846 - warning beep keeps sounding

All,

I have a KGNves3846 frisdge/freezer that has been trundling away just fine for the last 6 years until it suddenly started beeping at us. It was also making some interesting ticking/clicking sounds from, I think, the top (around the digital display?) of the unit as though something was trying to switch on or off.

If the power is on at the wall but both fridge and freezer turned off the fridge digital display appears to show IL - the L looking morelike a digital U with the upper right element of the U not displayed.

First thing I did was turn off completely at the plug and defrost fridge and freezer sections for about 3 days to make sure everything was free of stubborn ice and nice and dry. When I powered it back up the fridge seemed to get down to operating temp reasonably quickly but the freezer seemed to take an age to get to the right temp and all the time the warning beeper would keep kicking in at more or less random intervals from 1 minute to about 20 minutes.

Also, a fridge thermometer that appears to be reasonably accurate in our other fridge/freezer was showing the freezer at about -18 while the digital diplay sugested it was only -8.

We went off to bed leaving the super freeze button on and had a disturbed night as the bleep, bleep, warning beep kep sounding and then turning itself off until at about 3am I had to get up and manually intervene as it went on beeping for absolutely ages. At that time the digital display showed -30 though I was too sleepy to check the thermometer. I turned the superfreeze off and went back to the land of nod.

This morning the display showed -18 and the thermometer read -18 but that dratted beeper keeps going off .

What I also noticed this morning is that the clicking sound was also back, though somewhat intermittently.

Although the unit has only 1 compressor it appears as though the fridge and freezer can be turned on/off separately with buttons near the respective temp display. I turned the fridge off and the beeper continues to sound at irregular intervals.

My guess is that some sensor or something is shot but I do not know where to look.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Cheers

Gary

Re: Liebherr kgnves3846 - warning beep keeps sounding

No takers?

if temp at -18 but display showing -8,could be freezer section temp probe out of range. in which case it should be replaced
    this is loacated behind panel in top or at back of freezer. if i can find tech info on this on my pc at home i will attatch it later tonight
    Last edited by digerious; 25-10-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Hi digerious,

Apologies for not coming back sooner but we have been away over the half term break.

What is interesting is that we decided to have another go with powering up the fridge/freezer upon our return seeing as it had been off for a total of about 10 days and hey ho it seems (so far) to be working OK - having said that I bet the alarm goes off in the middle of the night though...

Anyway, while it was cooling down from room temp the alarm sounded a couple of times as expected but for the last 3 or 4 hours now it has been showing 5 degrees in the fridge and -18 in the freezer and the thermometer suggests 3 degrees on the bottom shelf of the fridge and -23 in the freezer (it is a cheap old thing from Comet so might not be as accurate as I originally suggested above) and everthing seems stable iun terms of temperatures.

While it was cooling down the clicking sound was heard as mentioned below but now all appears normal.

Is it possible that there was some stubborn ice somewhere that took more than the original 3 days or so to melt but has now finally gone and that that was causing the problem or is it still likely that the sensor you mention is the issue?

Either way, is it possible to get hold of a service manual so I can locate the sensor type/number and change if necessary?

Did you have any luck on your PC?

Cheers and thanks for your help

Gary

I knew I was posting my previous reply too soon - couple of minutes ago the alarm started sounding and cancelling it does no good as it just kiscks off again a couple of minutes later.

Temperatures still showing 5/-18 degrees and thermometer still reading as already mentioned.

Guess it is the sensor after all, so any help and guidance gratefully received.

Time to turn it off again and let it warm up...

Cheers

Gary

I contacted Liebherr and the response was that it may be one of the sensors in the freezer section.

I am aware of what appears to bea sensor clipped to the back wall of the freezer but are there more?

Any advice greatfully received.

All,

No takers?

After writing my last post I had one last go at running the unit but this time with food in the freezer and for some reason everything seemed to have cured itself.

Everything ran like normal for about 2 weeks and then, yesterday, it woke us in the night with the dratted beeping. Today it seems to beep on a roughly half-hourly basis for about 30 seconds and then switches the beeping off again.

Temperature in the frezer shows -18 on the digital display and the fridge thermometer shows about -22, so we are at or about the right temp.

This brings me back to the sensors as being the cause of the problems so I would really appreciate any help from you experts out there as they can't be that difficult to swap out.

you need to replace the sensors