Tawny Guest

Question Fujitsu indoor unit removal

Hi all -

I need the repaint the walls in a room with an indoor unit (ASTA09LFC) for a Fujitsu heat pump system.

What would be involved in taking down the indoor unit so that I can repaint? I'm a qualified electrical engineer, so that side of things isn't an issue, but what about the pipes going to the outdoor unit? Is it effectively a sealed unit where the indoor unit can't be removed without remedial installation work anyway? And what's the procedure for removal anyway?

If anyone could give me some pointers it'd be very much appreciated.

I don't know who originally installed the system, and as much as I'm sure an installer would do a great job, I could really do without having to pay someone a few hundred dollars just to repaint the walls!

Thanks very much
    Tawny

Re: Fujitsu indoor unit removal

hi tawny,
    well if you know the person who fitted it originally, why not give them a ring and get a price?

Tawny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    hi tawny,
    well if you know the person who fitted it originally, why not give them a ring and get a price?
    Thanks for your reply sedgy - although I said I don't know who fitted it originally.

Besides, it must be comparatively simple to just temporarily take down an indoor unit, surely? It feels like I'm missing something completely obvious.

If it's just for decorating purposes, why do you need to remove the indoor fan coil?

When the wall is painted and then the fan coil is re-fitted, you won't see the wall behind the fan coil anyway?

Seems like an un-necessary expense to me.

hi tawny,
    no your not missing something obvious, its just that to the untrained person there are LOTS of pitfalls to the simple job of removing the indoor unit
    loosing gas
    getting air in the system
    getting moister in the system
    getting blown off the ladder by an explosion of gas
    getting badly burned by the gas
    being a skilled man you know that you are capable of doing a very good job at most other trades, but this one is,nt something that can be learned as you go along< apolagies for missquoting you earlier<

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi Tawny,

As Frank says, there is no need to remove the unit completely from the wall.

Turn off the power to the system, open the filter access panel and remove the filters.

You should see two or three screws above the air outlet slot which secure the plastic cover to the base unit.

Undo and remove the screws; have a look at the top of the casing and also along the bottom of the casing. You should see some plastic locating clips which when released will allow the outer plastic cover to be removed.

You should now have the base unit left on the wall and if you use a small paintbrush you can paint right up to the framework of the unit. The plastic cover overlaps the base frame so everything will look OK when it is refitted.

If you need a user manual for the unit then click here..
    http://www.fujitsugeneral.com.au/pro...247/asta09lfc/
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Tawny Guest

Thumbs up Re: Fujitsu indoor unit removal

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    As Frank says, there is no need to remove the unit completely from the wall.
    Thanks for the info - that's what I did today in the end - and managed to get a good-looking finish when the casing was replaced.

Thanks very much to everyone for your responses - I really appreciate all your comments and info!

Tawny

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

^^ You're very welcome, now then - the green paint on the website needs a touch up here and there, what are you doing over the weekend?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015