nh3junkie10 Guest

Question water softener effects on condensing tower

We recently added a water softener system large enough to soften the entire plant water supply to include the towers. We are softening the water supply to between 0 and 1 grains (0 – 17 ppm) harness. My concern is how is this going to affect my condensing towers? They are all older galvanized towers, the newest one being 15 years old.

I am ready articles about how it can destroy the tower, and I am also seeing articles that say you can run soft water just not below around 2 grains (35 ppm).

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: water softener effects on condensing tower

Hello Nh3junkie10 I am a little confused you mention water softness then you say 0-17ppm. Water hardness is dissolved Calcium and is measured mg/l CaCO3 Ppm is a measure of dissolved solids and that is a completely different thing. Use a drop count test kit to measure this. It is very important that you do not over soften your water so you need to mix the softened water with hard water. The basic process of softening the water will change the charge of the water. using softned water will lead to excessive corrosion especially in galvanised condensers so you will need to install sacrificial anodes. Talk to your condenser supplier/agent they normally know what to fit.