Question Pressure Testing

With the new EU directive on pressure system safety testing a 'view' has been taken that all pressure systems (above 0.5 bar g) need an annual safety inspection.

A further 'view' is taken that this means an annual re-proof test, relief valve test and leak test at working pressure.

Discuss........

Personal view makes nonsense of environemntal legislation if I have to recover the system charge every 12 months.

Like some arguments for the next site safety review.

Derek

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy
    I must read up on this again Derek but I thought that the pressure test regs related to a/c - fridge systems of a certain size; below this size no testing was required.

Mind you just over 18 months ago watched some poor guys venting several hundred OČ bottles from full to below 1 bar just to comply with the regs.

As you are about to ask, it was at an underground Forces command bunker; they decided it was cheaper to vent the gas than to get all the bottles tested.

Please don't tell the Russians, Chinese or whoever is our enemy now because if there is an alert the UK will have to ask for 48hours notice so that the OČ can be ordered from BOC
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Personal view makes nonsense of environemntal legislation if I have to recover the system charge every 12 months.
    Most environmental legislation is nonsense, promulgated by those who A)Have something to gain or B)Are totally clueless or C)Both. It's about money and control.

Unhappy

Derek, I think this legislation would be acceptable for large plants in industrial settings, where I feel that many ***** plants would benifit from this or something similar. But I can imagine what the supermarkets would say if we were to sugest shutting down shop to pressure test cabinets once a year and where would the money come from, supermarkets are reluctant enough to pay contractors to do decent maintenances on there kit as it is. As for the small corner shop with ac or the local butcher I think not!
    Regards. Andy.

Originally posted by Gary

Most environmental legislation is nonsense, promulgated by those who A)Have something to gain or B)Are totally clueless or C)Both. It's about money and control.
    Once you get past that, there are still some worthy issues, for us poor folk.

Dan

Gentlemen, I am in Florida, so I really don't know what you are talking about here. Is it possible that you fellows could perhaps sift this thing out for me? Is it possible that your government is requiring that you evacauate all pressure cylinders annually? This strikes me as so absurd.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something.

Dan

Cool Under More Pressure

UK (Europe?)legislation implies all systems over 250bar litres and fridge plant over 25kw should be examined anually under a 'written scheme of examination' WSE. Examination taken to include test of ability to stand operating pressures. I call that a re-proof test but the compressed air guy's call it a hammer test.

Theres also words affecting phase change fluids and all systems over 0.5 bar gauge. So all refrigeration systems then....

All cylinders, regulators etc (implied) examined and life'd using BGA stamp (UK) or (implied) 5 years life.

Legislation typically suggests exemptions but expects you do something equal or better.

I know there are more exemptions and this is only a basic summary all the deatils are on UK HSE and European legislation websites...yawn.....

Any one outside the UK seen the new EN standards 378 theres even more tasty pressure points in there.

Seems the steam guys keep killing people so we pay the price. Nice view is lots of refrigerant needed and work for the industry employed.
    Derek