marky121 Guest

John Lewis JLFFW2007 Fridge Freezer Door Dropped

Hi

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, it is a John Lewis JLFFW2007 domestic Fridge Freezer, just over 3 years old and at the weekend the door dropped a few milimeters and wouldn't shut, when I look closely underneath the fridge door the metal hinged had pushed through the base of the door, it has never been abused and you can tell by the condition otherwise it still looks new so I suspect it is a bad design.
    Consumer Direct advise a product like this should be expected to last for 6 years. John Lewis where very unhelpful (warrenty expired 2 months ago), first denying any knowledge of The Sale of Goods act and then saying I would have to take them to court to enforce it.
    If anyine else has the same problem please let me know or if you have a John Lewis Fridge Freezer and your warrenty is nearly up check under the doors to see if any signs of the same thing about to happen

Thanks for reading

Re: John Lewis JLFFW2007 Fridge Freezer Door Dropped

If you can't get satisfaction you can always change the door hang to the other side,add a spacer washer to prevent wear on the door frame.
    Too many monster milk cartons in the door shelf don't help the fragile stuff thats on the market either.
    Have salvaged a few over the years by adding a metal plate underneath along the bottom edge of the door,thats if there's anything reasonably substantial to attach it to.

Its probably been opened and shut at least 25,000 times in those three plus years...

I'd pop rivet a plate on the bottom of the door to get it working again.

Had a similar problem with my own fridge, door catching on the bottom and not shutting unless i lifted it as it shut, turned out to be the hinge at the top allowing the door lean over and then be too low on the opposite lower corner, may be work checking, i replaced the worn hinge pin with a roofing bolt and its been working fine since!

Jon :-)

marky121 Guest

Many Thanks for kind replies, I took the door off today to reverse it, when I took the freezer door off and looked underneath the plastic had also given way so I know it isn't a weight issue as nothing can be loaded on the freezer door, it just seems a bad design having a metal prong going into a plastic trim piece with no metal reinforcement.
    Thanks again

Paul16 Guest

I've just had the identical problem with a JLSS2009 (John Lewis, made by AEG/Electrolux), door drops with a bang at about 40 degrees opening, cracked at hinge on bottom. Luckily under warranty. New door doesn't fit properly, there's a gap between the door and the body on the opening side, another new door on order!
    Engineer said a lot of these doors fail, don't put heavy things in them! I think "not fit for purpose" springs to mind.

marky121 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul16 View Post
    I've just had the identical problem with a JLSS2009 (John Lewis, made by AEG/Electrolux), door drops with a bang at about 40 degrees opening, cracked at hinge on bottom. Luckily under warranty. New door doesn't fit properly, there's a gap between the door and the body on the opening side, another new door on order!
    Engineer said a lot of these doors fail, don't put heavy things in them! I think "not fit for purpose" springs to mind.
    Thanks for info, As I suspected it sounds like a common fault, have you checked the base of your freezer door as well as the same has happened to that on mine.
    We're going to buy a new one, certainling not a John Lewis AEG Electrolux Fridge Freezer as obviously have lost faith in that brand and worried about the door falling off when one of the children open it sometime in the future

dknyalan Guest

I have a John Lewis - JLSS2009

Had exactly the same fault with the door 3/4 months ago. Door was replaced and engineer also mentioned this is a common fault.

Problem is that the door has gone again and now out of warranty. Does anyone know if the repair will still be in warranty with John Lewis.

Im going to call them tomorrow to see what can be done. Not very happy.

Greeny Guest

Angry Re: John Lewis JLFFW2007 Fridge Freezer Door Dropped

I too have a John Lewis - JLSS2009
    It's had 2 new doors for exactly the same reason as above, the weight of the door is on the plastic trim. If the trim breaks for any reason, such as the small plastic clip on the underside catching, then the door drops. First call to John Lewis was unhelpful and in fact rude, suggesting we don't use the fridge so much. Today though after 40 minutes on hold I was offered a new fridge - however, the fridge offered is £200 less than we paid for this one and not to the same specification that we spent so long deciding on originally. Now reading the sale of goods act.

weshgirl Guest

Interested (and frustrated) to read the chain on John Lewis fridge freezer doors. We bought our JLFFW2007 in Jan 2008 - and - yipeee - last week (5 weeks out of warranty) the fridge door dropped. Bottom line thus far is that John Lewis will not repair it as the warranty has expired - but I will also pursue on the basis of 'fitness for purpose' and 'reasonable durability' and spurred on by other owners comments. We will have a go at making sense of the the helpful suggestions for DIY repair - but we are pretty useless in this domain. Anyone able to give a rough idea of the likely repair cost? Many thanks.

lucydf Guest

I have had this problem twice now with my John Lewis JLFFW2007 fridge freezer. The first time it was 3 months old and repaired under warranty. Both the door and hinge were replaced. Now its happened again outside the warranty.

Did anyone get any further pursuing John Lewis under the Sale of Goods Act? This is clearly a common fault. I saw on another website that someone paid £150 for the door to be replaced plus £100 for labour.

weshgirl Guest

Thanks Lucy.

Just about given up. In addition to our continuing door problem (with the JLFFW2007) we also finally established that the cause of our electrical circuits tripping was down to the fridge freezer. A new compressor (at a cost of £160 including installation - far less than the cost quoted by the John Lewis authorised repair company) sorted out the electrical problem. The door could not be repaired. Have pursued John Lewis repeatedly via e-mail - and they have not been helpful. Their authorised repair company will charge £147 for a new door plus labour at around £82 per hour. John Lewis have offered £50 towards repair costs! Do we just give up and buy a new fridge? Extremely fed up - would expect a £500+ fridge freezer to last more than 3 years.

lainchs Guest

I also have the same isue with the JLSS2009 FF and the warranty run out 5 day ago! Did anyone get any further pursuing John Lewis under the Sale of Goods Act?