Hybrid View

Re: LG Multisplit ongoing issue... slowly getting there I think!

Little update

Engineer was here 3 hours today, cost me £140... waste of money.

He totalled the pipe work on the unit to 8 meters to bring it upto LG spec.

We really did think this would resolve the issue but truth be told it has made no difference whatsoever so a 2 meter pipe run makes no difference what soever to the performance of the system.

So we have exactly the same issue which means more engineer time to investigate only this time LG will talk to us because we have brought it upto spec.

I got lg technical on the phone when engineer was on site to speak to him, after he left LG stated they asked engineer to check the pipe temperatures, engineer only checked air off temps and didnt do as they had asked. I rang LG back and they said engineer didnt sound very enthusiastic to do what they were asking... I said well if you dont think he was enthusiastic then you can imagine what all the other guys were like as this guy is pretty good.

Engineer is now convinced that the EEV is staying open on that unit but only way to check this is by changing the problem units pipework over onto a working unit, meaning a further pump down and another 2 hours work. LG say he can push the pin down by taking the head off... so why didnt he do this on his first visit when I paid him £80 to investigate a sticking valve when he said he coudlnt get to the pin?

I queried if it was a valve issue then why is it closing down in cooling at thermostat off and the coil does not get cold... they state they need the engineer to check the valve heads etc and push the pin down to check nothing is obstructed... waste of time I think as it works in cooling. I advised them what if the valve is free to move etc they then said that they would have to look at the control strategy of the system.

The system is 2½ years old now...

I raised the idea that the strategy of the floor mount units is to keep the fan running if the coil is above a certain temp in thermostat off whereas the wall mounts keep the fan off at thermostat off no matter how hot the coil gets. Even if the valve is letting to much gas through to the coil its the fan running all the time that is zapping duty from the other units as we proved when we disconnected the fan motor on said unit.

So I am back on the war path again with how rubbish quality lg units must be to have such a poor control strategy on the floor mount units. Also these issues have been there since day 1 2½ yrs ago!

If they were all wall mount units (cheaper unit all round) then we would never know if a valve was sticking open in heating mode as the fan would only run when the unit was calling for heat.

What do you think...
    Last edited by back2space; 05-10-2010 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by back2space View Post

What do you think...
    I'd actually be very annoyed myself to have spent all that money and achieved no results

PITA Richard, but you're convincing me of what I need to avoid at all costs in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_WSM View Post
    I'd actually be very annoyed myself to have spent all that money and achieved no results

PITA Richard, but you're convincing me of what I need to avoid at all costs in the future!
    Key word... LG

I am very annoyed, I have a good engineer this time round though but it just shows that all of them I have had so far have been no good.

My engineer is under instruction now to resolve this with LG, I need to get it fixed I cant spend this much money so far and just give up now it needs resolving and the job closing.

LG suspect either the valve is faulty (doesnt explain why it is closing in cooling properly) or its a control issue which again doesnt tally with why the other units and valves work ok.

If you have a good engineer now then stick with him as he will know your system.