Altherma & Dimplex Smartrad

I am about to install a Daikin Altherma split system into my own home as a trial using Dimplex Smartrad convector fan coils/rads.

I intend to install the Dimplex fan coils without thermostatic radiator valves and use the on board temperature controls to stop/slow/speed up the fan. These have been designed for heat pump flow temperatures of between 35 and 50 degrees C and a 5 deg delta t.

The Daikin controller will be used to control heating flow temperature and the hot water cylinder. I envisage the unit being on 24/7 with set back temperatures at night or unoccupied periods.

Has anyone used this combination, or any other non Daikin fan coils?

If so were there any problems in commissioning.

My tools. Screw driver, Hammer & a Condom:
    If you can't fix it, hit it. If you can't hit it, F**k it!

Re: Altherma & Dimplex Smartrad

I can't see a problem with using the fan coils, but the Low Temp Altherma doesn't give the option of night set back temperatures.

If it's on 24/7 and with a 35C flow temp, you shouldn't need night set back.

The other option is to use a centrally located programmable room thermostat and control the Altherma on/off via this.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I can't see a problem with using the fan coils, but the Low Temp Altherma doesn't give the option of night set back temperatures.

If it's on 24/7 and with a 35C flow temp, you shouldn't need night set back.

The other option is to use a centrally located programmable room thermostat and control the Altherma on/off via this.
    Thanks Frank,

Did give a long reply asking if I used the Daikin roomstat if that would give me the night setback option. Then I read your post properly! Doh! I see that is exactly the case.

Once again thanks Frank.

its not true that you cant set temperatures back with Altherma. Ive got one, you can adjust the temperature 5 x a day in the time clock settings its easy. if you want advice on how to do this try the manual which is very hard to understand or get someone at daikin to talk you thru. I can send you a quick guide if it helps.

ref using other fan coils ive just been to Jaga radiators (fan coils in all but name) they work brilliantly with heat pumps. the altherma has no way of knowing what is connected to it. The only thing to watch if using altherma is make sure you have adequate water volume to avoid recycling. Recycling on altherma is a *******, it stops the unit going into defrost. Install a buffer tank or another heat pump and you wont get problems.

hope ive been of help. An hey i don't even sell altherma. regards

Graham

Thanks for that. It will be a little while before I get to start the install as work as gone a bit hectic again, so I am putting off the install for 3 weeks. Going to take 2 weeks off and just ignore the phone!

I'll let you know how it went at sometime in November!

if you need any easy user guides there is an Daikin Altherma section which has easy guides to setting the system up if required.
    Register for the extranet to download these documents.

www.altherma.co.uk