My First Compressor Install Gone Wrong

I have a old Sani-Serv 115v tabletop softserve machine & the old r12 compressor went bad. The New replacement is a 404a refrigerant.
    1. Cut out old compressor
    2. Cut out dryer
    3. Flow of nitrogen while I sweat in compressor
    4. Pressure checked at 250lbs no leaks
    5. Pulled system down to 1100 microns (best I could get)
    6. Charged with 1 lb of 404a
    7. Turned on and no suction pressure, head pressure started to rise & compressor shut down tryed to restart once but turned off.(WHAT DID I DO WRONG)

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: My First Compressor Install Gone Wrong

Got the oils mixed up ? Caused a blockage?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Is this a capillary tube system or txv?
    What was done to match the existing system to the new refrigerants properties?
    As Brian said oil compatability?
    An R134a comp and an R12 drop in would have been favourite for being the nearest to what the system was designed for.

What type of drier, spun copper connecting to capillary tube, 1/4 flare/ 1/4 solder? my guess is blocked capillary from either an existing problem or blocked by solder.. mike.

Hermedic no oil change

Possible I replaced a bullet dryer and this system has a TVX. The manufacturer recommend this replacement compressor

I thought so to but the manufacturer said this is the replacement and it has a TVX I did have a problem with sweating in a bullet dryer is there a way to check for a blockage

Blog Entries

First you make wrong retrofit. R12 system should be retrofitted to R134A refrigerant.
    Since compressor doesn't care what refrigerant it is pumping and you having TXV you are not in complete mess if compressors displacements are simmilar. First check that.
    Now you need to evacuate R404a from system, change oil in compressor with new charge of POE oil and change soldered bullet drier with flared one like Danfoss DCL032 (easier to replace).
    Than system should be charged with old R12 refrigerant (or R12 drop in) and run like that 24 hours. Than filter and oil should be changed again and oil checked that has less than 5% residual mineral oil. If OK than you should charge R134A. If not than repeat oil and filter changes while still on R12 until you get to below 5% residual mineral oil and only then change to R134A.
    There are some reagents on market which will tell you if MO is below 5%.
    Last edited by nike123; 08-09-2010 at 06:46 AM.

"charge with old R12" <<<<<<
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 07-04-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Too many <<'s

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyaircon View Post
    "charge with old R12"/??
    Kind of illegal suggestion methinks.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hairfaircon Guest

Do you know precision air conditioners,we use R22 /R407C/R410A.
    Different system with yours.

HFC are not miscible with MO, hence you should change the oil firstly, then, as Nike said, you should go to R134a which is nearer to R12 working conditions and performance.

Regards,

Nando.

mofrobaggins Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fri3Oil System View Post
    HFC are not miscible with MO, hence you should change the oil firstly, then, as Nike said, you should go to R134a which is nearer to R12 working conditions and performance.

Regards,

Nando.
    or you could flush the system out with flushing fluid then u wont need r 12 and start fresh and find out whats the cause of your blockage but u would know if something is wrong when u try to flush and it isnt coming out the other side of the system

Quote Originally Posted by mofrobaggins View Post
    or you could flush the system out with flushing fluid then u wont need r 12 and start fresh and find out whats the cause of your blockage but u would know if something is wrong when u try to flush and it isnt coming out the other side of the system
    I meant, change the oil, by flushing in a close circuit, the same R12, until you have extracted all the MO. If you flush a "flushing fluid", inject from point A and release from point B, you will not be sure that you took out all the flushing fluid, as it would be remain in the circuit traps (syphons).

Blog Entries

Why would be illegal if you charge with recovered R12 from system?

EER Guest

I believe that due to Regulations Regulation CE 3093/94 and CE 2037/2000, from 31 December 2000, CFC12 is considered a dangerous waste, and it has to be recovered and destroyed when servicing any device that contains the mentioned refrigerant. The following regulations, continue in the same line with HCFC´s: CE 1005/2009 CE 842/2006, 1516/2007, 1272/2008

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by humblepie View Post
    I have a old Sani-Serv 115v tabletop softserve machine & the old r12 compressor went bad. The New replacement is a 404a refrigerant.
    1. Cut out old compressor
    2. Cut out dryer
    3. Flow of nitrogen while I sweat in compressor
    4. Pressure checked at 250lbs no leaks
    5. Pulled system down to 1100 microns (best I could get)
    6. Charged with 1 lb of 404a
    7. Turned on and no suction pressure, head pressure started to rise & compressor shut down tryed to restart once but turned off.(WHAT DID I DO WRONG)
    You didn't change the TXV.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EER View Post
    I believe that due to Regulations Regulation CE 3093/94 and CE 2037/2000, from 31 December 2000, CFC12 is considered a dangerous waste, and it has to be recovered and destroyed when servicing any device that contains the mentioned refrigerant. The following regulations, continue in the same line with HCFC´s: CE 1005/2009 CE 842/2006, 1516/2007, 1272/2008
    I still don't see why you shouldn't charge recovered R12 from same unit, let it in to wash residual mineral oil, make oil change recover again R12 and fill it with new R134A. What harm will be done to atmosphere by that procedure?
    Are you all blindly following letter of law no matter what stupid paragraph it is contain and no matter what office mouse with no field experience whatsoever is written that stupid paragraph.
    Are you afraid of STASI?

I see the O P is last years but

Was at my mothers a couple of years back and found a dumpy of R12 I had left in the shed and had forgot about

Thought it best to return it to the suppliers and really wish I had not

I ended up with some jumped up counter hand telling me how I had broken the law and that he would have to report me

Cant tell if he did or not as I never heard no more about it but I can say he certainly had me worried !

EER Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    I still don't see why you shouldn't charge recovered R12 from same unit, let it in to wash residual mineral oil, make oil change recover again R12 and fill it with new R134A. What harm will be done to atmosphere by that procedure?
    Are you all blindly following letter of law no matter what stupid paragraph it is contain and no matter what office mouse with no field experience whatsoever is written that stupid paragraph.
    Are you afraid of STASI?
    Refrigeration and air conditioning are my life and I must admit that this is a difficult business without those all regulations. We are arriving to a point in where sometimes I spend the same time working and doing the paperwork, and not always is possible make the costumer understand that the bill is that expensive because following the regulations.
    Even so I follow the laws although I sometimes not agree with them, and they make my job tougher.
    In this very moment, we have got all the certifications and have adapted the whole activity of our company to the most recent regulations about refrigerant gases. It was neither cheap nor easy and it makes our day by day work, more difficult than it was a year ago, but we are doing this, anyway.
    I agree with you. I do not like some laws. But I follow them.

All the best.

I have just realised its a bit on the old side. I agree about the oil incompatibillity and blockage, and maybe the OFN had pushed debris along to the XV and stopped up the strainer. And I think he should've have used a triple vac method to get that 1100 mic way below half of that, as it does seem high for recommisioning.
    Last edited by chilliwilly; 07-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

I agree. Change it.

Replace TXV or AEV.

I should close this thread.
    As so many times happens here on RE, a poster has a problem, comes here asking for a quick solution for their clumsy work. They never come back to give the latest information or to say what the final solution was so we all can learn from it. They even never come back to those whom helped him.
    I call this good manners which the original poster apparently hasn't.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hands raised if you agree O.P. can be listed as a missing person?? Eleven months since his last visit........? Case closed.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.