ihatemyfridge Guest

Samsung RS21-NCMS

We have a 6 year old RS21 fridge/freezer that is tripping the RCD next to our fuse box. It doesn't do this immediately on switching the fridge on but after approx 8 seconds after displaying the temps on the control panel, no fault code. And the 8 seconds is consistent, happens every time.

So I took off the back panel and disconnected the compressor power plug. The fridge starts up and after 8 seconds, no RCD trip, then the condenser fan starts up as normal. So I'm thinking it's probably a new compressor needed and the cost of having an engineer fit it, almost not worth the cost compared with buying a new FF.

Before I call someone out, just thought I'd ask if I'm right in assuming the compressor is 'dead' or if there's something a lot cheaper and easier that could be causing this. I read on here that a bad thermal fuse can cause RCD trips but the fault in that thread was with the RCD tripping at the same moment the FF was switched on, not seconds later after the self test. I've had the evap cover off by the way, and it wasn't iced up (did that within an hour of it first happening so definitely no ice, it was evening and all the lights went out!) I might get the multimeter out if it's worth it and check the sensors and heater

Any help appreciated, living with my wife will be a lot more pleasant if I can get this fixed fast

Re: Samsung RS21-NCMS

If you feel you are competant to do this, with the electric off, make a note of where the wires go on the compressor or take a photo, remove wires and make safe with insulating tape or a terminal block, turn on fridge and see if it still trips rcd.
    Do not touch the fridge whilest trying this. You can still get electrocuted despite being protected by an rcd.

If it still does it there is likely something else wrong, thought the comp could still be faulty, if it doesn't do it it is likely the compressor is at fault though it is possible it is fine and the other faulty item is just not tripping the rcd now.

This is about as good as it gets for fault finding without metters etc.
    Last edited by monkey spanners; 04-09-2010 at 03:06 PM.