What's your personal best

Distance travelled by service vehicle in 24hrs to your job location, hours on site + able to complete the work required from vehicle stock(important), recieve payment in full(can be 30 days later), then arrive home in one piece, without sleep? Any takers? I know that it is a disadvantage for some in cities or islands but others have a large service area to cover.. mike

Re: What's your personal best

You banana benders have noooooo idea. No idea at all! How does 90 - 120 hours a week sound? And no, I am NOT joking as many ex Linde UK guys can attest.
    Being up north though, I figure you'll do some serious milage. Here in SE Qld. colleagues are astonished when I tell them I used to do around 100 000k's a year back in the UK!

mine is 7 and a half hour drive there (northern england to bournemouth) to service a split then when i arrived told me i couldn't go on the roof to the condensor 15 minutes on site then 7 and a half hours home 600 miles later but a lot richer the company charged £40 lost around £1000 good management i say

I attended a call and 37 hours later I left site, no sleep and a lot of compounded double and tripple time.

I also worked with a guy who in the seventies boarded a cargo ship off the east coast of England and he was
    given the time it took to sail to Southampton to repair the fault. He was then due to be taken of by the pilot
    boat in Southampton and the cargo ship was to sail onto Brazil. The pilot boat could not make the meeting due
    to bad weather so the engineer had to stay onboard until Brazil and then flew home.

2 weeks of fully expenced on a passenger carrying cargo boat all on full pay...

coolrunnings

Last edited by cool runings; 18-09-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cool runings View Post

I attended a call and 37 hours later I left site, no sleep and a lot of compounded double and tripple time.

I also worked with a guy who in the seventies boarded a cargo ship off the east coast of England and he was
    given the time it took to sail to Southampton to repair the fault. He was then due to be taken of by the pilot
    boat in Southampton and the cargo ship was to sail onto Brazil. The pilot boat could not make the meeting due
    to bad weather so the engineer had to stay on board until Brazil and then flew home.

coolrunnings

If you start talking Marine then us land based guys may as well quit the post.
    The first Ship call out I did. I was advised by my colleagues to ask when the ship sailed.
    When I in all innocence asked why?
    I was told because If you don't make sure you are down the gangplank before that time.
    The ships company will happily leave with you still on board.

One time I left 1 end of the dock whilst on sea trials.
    On return the ship berthed 2.5 mls. further on down the dock!
    Guess where my vehicle was? ( Tools on board with me)
    Cheers Grizzly

So i'll have to backup my motivation for posting the origional question. I thought it impressive to have done it by vehicle, anyway, with 24hrs notice, i did a 850km round trip to a cattle station and was able to complete repairs on a freezer room and coldroom and to top it off, i was paid before i left around 7pm. I covered one of the worst roads ever to be available to general traffic, luckily i only had to travel 80k of the 520k on that stretch. The corrugations on the road limited speed to 30hm/h in places, still enough to rattle stock off the shelves. Night travel is extremely dangerous here so on the trip home, one has to be on the lookout for anything. Road trains have many powerful spotlights that limit sight even from several kms away, thats when low beam is totally ineffective and accidents with the wildlife occur. Had a hawk(Quite large wingspan) lift off about 300m ahead only to circle its dead prey on a highway and come in contact with my ladder on the roof. The bird was only grazed and it took off. Anyway, mission complete on that adventure.. mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    So i'll have to backup my motivation for posting the origional question. I thought it impressive to have done it by vehicle, anyway, with 24hrs notice, i did a 850km round trip to a cattle station and was able to complete repairs on a freezer room and coldroom and to top it off, i was paid before i left around 7pm. I covered one of the worst roads ever to be available to general traffic, luckily i only had to travel 80k of the 520k on that stretch. The corrugations on the road limited speed to 30hm/h in places, still enough to rattle stock off the shelves. Night travel is extremely dangerous here so on the trip home, one has to be on the lookout for anything. Road trains have many powerful spotlights that limit sight even from several kms away, thats when low beam is totally ineffective and accidents with the wildlife occur. Had a hawk(Quite large wingspan) lift off about 300m ahead only to circle its dead prey on a highway and come in contact with my ladder on the roof. The bird was only grazed and it took off. Anyway, mission complete on that adventure.. mike.
    Respect!

And I thought Holiday traffic, Middle lane drivers, lane hogging lorries,
    Cop's with hand held speed camera's.
    Were an issue?Etc.
    Sometimes I feel far more drained having driven for an hour through a densely populated (large number of vehicles).
    Than 2 or 3 hrs shall we say "Off Peak".

Most of the Guys I have worked with will say it's the lack of sleep that's the killer literally!
    Grizzly

18 hours in a plane each way, getting paid for travel was cool.

18 hours? Quite a large service area you have, however, unless the plane was on the ground the whole time, i would consider that as cheating.. mike

Callout from Australia to American Samoa, 5 days on site (some awaiting parts), return flight and all on the clock! woohoo$$$$
    ...and she said "give it to me you big fridgie"

mikeef,
    yes a large service area.

Quote Originally Posted by 750 Valve View Post
    Callout from Australia to American Samoa, 5 days on site (some awaiting parts), return flight and all on the clock! woohoo$$$$
    In 2 words.
    Lucky Git!
    (Git is said in a nice way of course!)
    Grizzly

Talking Re: What's your personal best

Back Home Down South Africa, I had to attend a call in stellenbosch, It was for Pep stores the managers Air-Conditioner had failed.

From Johannesburg to stellenboch is roughly 14 hrs drive just under 1000 k, the road is very unforgiving and goes right through the dessert, it is no easy task in the summer especialy if your boss is to tight to pay for a/c in the van.

On arrival at site the ferking system was a portable unit which had not been drained, even though in bright red lights it said "CONDENSATE TRAY FULL" with a little picture showing you to empty it!

Now we know why some call us saffa thick!

Quote Originally Posted by cool runings View Post

to bad weather so the engineer had to stay onboard until Brazil and then flew home.

coolrunnings

I can imagine what the wife said to that

Quote Originally Posted by spinerkop View Post
    Back Home Down South Africa, I had to attend a call in stellenbosch, It was for Pep stores the managers Air-Conditioner had failed.

From Johannesburg to stellenboch is roughly 14 hrs drive just under 1000 k, the road is very unforgiving and goes right through the dessert, it is no easy task in the summer especialy if your boss is to tight to pay for a/c in the van.

On arrival at site the ferking system was a portable unit which had not been drained, even though in bright red lights it said "CONDENSATE TRAY FULL" with a little picture showing you to empty it!

Now we know why some call us saffa thick!
    But the rest of us dont... C.D.
    NH3 for me