Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Re: What did we do today?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Yay Eggs! you've passed!

I went with refcom as the others had silly names.

Called to a cold room that wasn't working today and found that the front half of the compressor had fallen off, that'll be why its not workin....

New system time
    Do you mean the cyl head / prestcold

Congrats on the passing! Still working on the new split, been a busy 2 weeks, only able to do little bits as and when. Been so long a rock dove has made it's home in the hole with the blocks, and laid an egg. At least the unit is in and cooling, and the room is mostly repainted ( none of the old colour is left, and I have a lot of the new colour around so did the 2 coats, but it needs 3 and some touch up - only 2 drips on the floor ) with touch ups to do next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    Do you mean the cyl head / prestcold
    Belt drive tecumseh thingy, old lorry body now static. Bolt sheared off, shaft worn pulley and fan fell off brushed the condenser fins.

Looks old enough to be on R12 or drop in so thinks its time to move into the 21st century!

Might try and rescue it and make a recovery unit that don't take hours to recover a few kgs

Jon
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Might try and rescue it and make a recovery unit that don't take hours to recover a few kgs

Jon
    Hi Jon
    'Old Skool' tricks mate reminds me of working on that type with no leccy in sight, running the unit to 'self recover' the refrigerant and then again to 'self vac'.... you could get away with it to get you out of trouble back then with 'MO' but slightly frowned upon these days.... would have to get a genny I suppose

If unit will run, I always pump it down & push/pull the liquid out first, then suck the vapour, saves a lot of time especially when I got to transfer 100+kg.... then same when charging, it just flys in

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Matador1 Guest

Removed and installed a dual water cooled condenser on a 30 year old 80 Kwatt air con unit.
    Did all the work myself with only the aid of my apprentice to help remove and put back in.
    Allowed the apprentice to pressure test, charge and commission while I watched.
    Got the apprentice to check and set the superheat and I watched.
    Allowed the apprentice to get me a coffee while I checked his work then t watched.
    Got back in the van only to find another job to do, damn thought it was gonna be a short day....

This week I am trying to get my 5kw PV system installed before my contract deadline. At $.80/kwh paid for 20 years, its worth it.

Curretnly trying to weld a leaky Toshiba shrm condenser.. having a bit of a mre tbh

Wet weather today, so my main job was to change a fan motor in a domestic ducted split.
    You know how you need long allen key wrenches to go through the fan barrel to the grub screw?
    And the long side of the allen key wrench is often 'balled' so it can be used at an angle?

Yeah, mine snapped off at the weak thin point of the allen key wrech in the grub screw. So packed up my gear, buggered off and ordered a new barrel fan for one side

Had the wrench set for years and years, and it was 4mm hex that snapped too, the most used one that had to choose that time to fail. Why couldn't it have failed in a outdoor service valve where it could have been drilled out? I don't think anyone sells a 25cm long 2mm drill bit so impossible to drill it out on the indoor fan motor fan. While anywhere else it wouldn't have been a "give up and go home" moment

Refrig install side of the business sorted out with a cheap installer like I mentioned elsewhere/before. Spent the afternoon trying to find someone decent for evaporative cooler work as I get a lot of that and not interested myself.
    Never will get successful on the tools all by myself, too busy in summer, too many jobs and phone calls, too many annoyed people doing more harm than good knowing my phone number with me flat out...
    So I'm trying to get together a team of good people I can sub off too that don't charge the earth so I can still add mark up and be competitive... While I just stick to the repair side of things.
    Last edited by paul_h; 26-10-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Had to pull a broken coupling out of an Atlas Copco drum dryer. A right pain as the coupling was 500mm inside the dryer. We drilled and tapped a 12mm hole and fitted studding to make a puller to remove it.089.jpg096.jpg094.jpgThe third picture is my son using our high tech puller, doing some work for once! he`s moving on soon so we won`t be working together anymore. We have great fun working together, it makes the day go quicker

Today, I got my 12,000 BTU Toshiba A/C compressor. So I can finally move forward with my projects and use the old small one as a vacuum pump.
    Visit http://www.kompulsa.com/ for technology news, reviews, and more. Twitter: Kompulsa.

Well, good luck with that kompulsa. Was on the blower (phone) to Skope New Zealand. Warranty issues with hardware on a cabinet of theirs, however, Mad F never told us about The city of Christchurch current condition?? City business district only open now to the public after that major earthquake, so long ago now. Businesses working out of containers? 20,000 people went through CBD over the weekend. Hmmm.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Did two site surveys, took a ratchet and spanner back to wholesalers that was left in a special build unit they supplied and got a new monkey wrench!!!

Put up a few shelves for the boss ,drank way to much coffee,watched stupid videos on youtube and generally dossed about.All this time off is starting to bore me.
    Gotta look at a coldroom and a serve over tomorrow in exchange for free beer , should be a good Friday so.
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

youve gotta fix it first!! and if them shelves arent level or colapse then mrs stufus will beast ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by stufus View Post
    Put up a few shelves for the boss ,drank way to much coffee,watched stupid videos on youtube and generally dossed about.All this time off is starting to bore me.
    Gotta look at a coldroom and a serve over tomorrow in exchange for free beer , should be a good Friday so.
    Cheers
    Stu

Shelves are grand I nailed them up onto the plasterboard.
    It clearly says "I have to LOOK AT a coldroom and serve over in exchange for free beer"....
    At no point was fixing them brought up.
    Cheers
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    youve gotta fix it first!! and if them shelves arent level or colapse then mrs stufus will beast ya!

Ahhhh, what a life in Ireland.....Him drinkin beer and I'll be on a roof putting up another solar system.

mike-u have to have ginger hair to be a true paddy!!and pale skin helps!

Well that's Al sorted I must be an exchange student or the son of a sailor

Cheers
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    Ahhhh, what a life in Ireland.....Him drinkin beer and I'll be on a roof putting up another solar system.
    Roofs! Every few months i have to get up there, drag a hose and scrubbing brush and clean the mold growth off the solar hot water panels. 2 story up with steep roof. Have to tie myself to the TV antenna in case i slip .
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Well it is our national pastime ,I'll sink a few for you.haha
    Cheers
    Stu

Dentist

and in mid flow he says ''your tonsils look inflamed, I recommend bla bla bla"

I said " what ! thats like taking technical fridge advice from a gas man "

Tried to take 3 units off a 16 indoor VRV system and re-assign the group numbers, but they were all addressed (stickers) incorrectly, so ended up re-grouping the whole lot......aaggghhhhhh!!!!!

Today I searched the "situations vacant" as I will be out of work by the end of the month.
    Shyte 2011 & 2012 looks like it's going the same way.
    Anyone need an A/C sales/design/project management/product management or account management guy with 35 years experience in the Beds Herts or Bucks area of UK?
    If in doubt read the instructions. If still in doubt follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrocer View Post
    Today I searched the "situations vacant" as I will be out of work by the end of the month.
    Shyte 2011 & 2012 looks like it's going the same way.
    Anyone need an A/C sales/design/project management/product management or account management guy with 35 years experience in the Beds Herts or Bucks area of UK?
    Hi Greengrocer

maybe worth a butchers http://www.jobsite.co.uk/job/area-sa...421?src=search

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    Hi Greengrocer

maybe worth a butchers http://www.jobsite.co.uk/job/area-sa...421?src=search
    Thanks Chillerman.
    Currently I'm talking to all the usual suspects / agencies & personal contacts in the industry.
    Seems to me that the agencies are a waste of time & post ghost jobs on their websites to attract CV's from the likes of me & then punt them around the industry. In truth they don't have any tangible or factual jobs on offer at all!!
    My search goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrocer View Post
    Thanks Chillerman.
    Currently I'm talking to all the usual suspects / agencies & personal contacts in the industry.
    Seems to me that the agencies are a waste of time & post ghost jobs on their websites to attract CV's from the likes of me & then punt them around the industry. In truth they don't have any tangible or factual jobs on offer at all!!
    My search goes on.
    Most agencies yes, you have their cards marked right, but ring the london office http://www.prsjobs.com/contact/ and ask to speak to Dave Haxell... can highly recommend Dave and he will not punt your cv about... also will only send your cv to a company after you have all the job/company details and are sure you want the role

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    Most agencies yes, you have their cards marked right, but ring the london office http://www.prsjobs.com/contact/ and ask to speak to Dave Haxell... can highly recommend Dave and he will not punt your cv about... also will only send your cv to a company after you have all the job/company details and are sure you want the role
    Thanks. Will give them a tug.

IM, you've seen my pic. I could pass for pale skin. But the Danes (from which I come, along with the Dutch and Scottish) don't have gingervitis

Threw some more up today (solar panels), same as Monday. One more to do this week, weather permitting currently 4C and a bit windy.

No musicals Mike ??
    Cheers
    Stu
    Threw some more up today (solar panels), same as Monday. One more to do this week, weather permitting currently 4C and a bit windy.

Hell no....I've had enough until War horse comes (don't think it is a musical, but it is live)

BTW, if its raining/snowing I ,too, will be doing the shelving and beer jobs

4 degrees c? Oh P L E A S E!!! Want some of my free 33c ambient? Could cook an egg on the ute's talegate !!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    4 degrees c? Oh P L E A S E!!! Want some of my free 33c ambient? Could cook an egg on the ute's talegate !!
    If you can get it here i'll take all you will give me. Send me some Blonds as well.

Send me some Blonds as well.
    Now thats the Scandinavian coming out in you........... Swedes phroar

is that how it's spelled "phroar"? Always heard the Python folks do it but never could spell it.

Hey.....1000 posts, beer is on me.

I'll have a shandy .... cheers

Did a cowboy job today on a Samsung. Been running, but every so often will quietly stop cooling. No alarm or anything, and turning off at isolator and back on works. Changed sensor assy, remote control, controller board and Micro board all at once, as I have a "spare" indoor unit to hand, not used, but waiting in the corner for whenever another one drops a blower fan or clogs up solid. Seems to be holding up, and I am suspecting it is the old problem of dodgy sensor assemblies, as I have changed those often enough under warranty, but this one is 6 years old, and only the outdoor unit capacitor has died ( last week would you believe).

Another had the compressor case rust through as well, just outside the 5 y warranty. Things are tight, so repair it is, new condenser coil ( 3 out of 7 made it intact- the other 4 had the piping bent and broken by the couriers or the packing staff, will wait and offer a little more than scrap price for them, then cut out 4 rows and reuse them) and a slightly used Toshiba compressor ( would you believe out of stock at all suppliers, and those with stock are charging wounded buffalo for them) that will be made to bloody fit ( a little matter of 3 mounting holes that are going to move slightly around the circle) and give me a spare to place in service while I do 2 others.

Who knows, I might even get to finish installing the unit I started in Dec, been a little busy with other stuff and such. Doing a bit every week, as and when.
    Last edited by SeanB; 12-02-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: My poor spelling!

Re-programmed some Innotech micro2000 thermostats after a power failure & investigated a tripped O/L, same site. Looks like it was the power spike as the I is ok & comfortably below the trip point. Had a fight with an Easy-20 condensate pump. Still not sure it's not going to be replaced, but a new one is around $450 list. Not good news for the client!

Yesterday had a protracted fight with some old flexi duct, replacing it with new. Bloody sparkles have thrown (literally) cables all over the place down the years & the downstream connection was tight between the inlets for a series/parallel vav. Two trips to the suppliers due to the installer's creative use of 400mm flexi to reduce to 350 (next time I'll remove the lot & measure BOTH ends!) & about 5 hours later it's all done, cleaned & hoovered. Length? About 2.5m!!!

give some tlc to a 100hp grasso,had a look at some mobile racking in the cold store,then went chin wagging with an old fridge tec.

Nothing much today. Waited for the bloody phone company to install new lines. Ohh, bought flowers.....tis that day of the year.

What day would that be Mike? C.D.
    NH3 for me

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF DELPAC View Post
    What day would that be Mike? C.D.
    Well, It's kind of gone now....did you sleep on the couch last night

worked till 9,30 putting in a 5 inch pipeline for a new water main- got to get 120mtr of pipework through a college and water to all sinks,toilets,clipped every 1.2mtr,at 3 mtr height through door frames,over shutters oh and insulate it- all to be tidy,insulated and working for a 5 hr overtime bonus!-will update on sunday!!

worked till 9,30 putting in a 5 inch pipeline for a new water main- got to get 120mtr of pipework through a college and water to all sinks,toilets,clipped every 1.2mtr,at 3 mtr height through door frames,over shutters oh and insulate it- all to be tidy,insulated and working for a 5 hr overtime bonus!-will update on sunday!!
    Plumbing your new trade, IM?

a large cold store i look after was giving me a headache,tripping out on l/p when on defrost 50% of the coils defrost via glycol so one system keeps running while the other pumps down it was an intermittant fault with the mag valve on the one that was supposed to be open the problem is the valves are on the top of the store up and down the access ladder so many times ah well the excersize will do me good yeah right!.

In an effort to save customer the cost of a new control system, spent 3 hours tracing a fault on circuit board and fixing, the repair lasted about ten minutes....

Always seems when you try and do someone a favour it bites you in the ass

Jon

i repiped a water tank outlet to feed the heating system at the highest point- took 70 mins to core a 42 mm hole 1 metre deep-then found a tiny split in the tank,tried patching up to no avail,ended up replacing the tank,ball **** and 28mm tank connector- after all that it worked ,no problems

In an effort to save customer the cost of a new control system, spent 3 hours tracing a fault on circuit board and fixing, the repair lasted about ten minutes....Always seems when you try and do someone a favour it bites you in the ass Jon
    Ha! Been there, done that and bought the "T" shirt. You interested in a well used, seized, rusted, and practically useless condenser fan motor? Comes complete with fan blade
    Restoration project perhaps?