Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Re: What did we do today?

It's been miserable weather on the east coast for months. Drizzle and constant cloud cover was the order AGAIN yesterday when i was called to a private residence on a farm. The driveway was roughly 150m down a slope to the house and it was not paved. Gut feeling said not to drive down, but i didn't want to carry parts and tools by hand. Worst case result quickly followed when vehicle sunk in the mud and slipped down to residence. The first words i said to customer was Damn.. nasty driveway you have.. and.. hope you have a tractor in your back pocket to tow me back up the hill. To cut a long story short, with fridge job completed, i said, so, how about that tractor? Sure enough, out comes the beast with slasher attached and under the car i crawl, in the red mud to attach my tow line. He drags me out o.k. but there is mud in my shoes, up my back, over steering wheel and over seat cover. I am sooo up to here ^ with these conditions.. Mike.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Was working with my friend Dave recently, swaping a cold room evap, he was drilling the holes for the nylon bar to go through and opined that he must have extaordinarily long arms as the other day he had managed to drill a hole through a wall where Pete couldn't reach due to site conditions.

He then set to with the tape measure and after some debate as to where to start and finish measuring he decided that his arm was 70cm long, at which news i started with the 'right turn clyde' jokes as he's always saying that when i'm driving.

Well then the challenge was set for me, i'm thinking maybe 65cm as i'm quite a bit shorter....

77cm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHeRaAy3cWQ

So its off to Borneo for me then
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Went to site today to remove two 20kw Carrier ASHP from a new $200k chilled/heated water system we had just installed and commisioned about 6 weeks ago.....why I hear you ask? Cause the weekend just gone, the whole factory went up in flames............. and we had only just put in our final claim. ASHP's all that was left standing.

Changed the outdoor PC Board on a Toshiba RAV-SP1404AT-E after P26 Fault code.

All up and running fine again. Quite impressed by the 9No. fixing screws for the board!

Quote Originally Posted by Goober View Post
    Went to site today to remove two 20kw Carrier ASHP from a new $200k chilled/heated water system we had just installed and commisioned about 6 weeks ago.....why I hear you ask? Cause the weekend just gone, the whole factory went up in flames............. and we had only just put in our final claim. ASHP's all that was left standing.
    I hope no one was injured in the fire and also that you get paid for all the work done!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

What I did yesterday

I briefly met with Grizzly but didn't know it till the end of the day, nuts.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    What I did yesterday

I briefly met with Grizzly but didn't know it till the end of the day, nuts.
    Sooo, how did you know it was Grizzly? I speak with lots of parts suppliers on the phone, but wouldn't know them if i bumped into them on the street. Supplies are transported here from the city, 1.5 hours drive away.. mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

^^ 'Cos he sent me a message after I had left site. Later I caught on to who it could have been.
    Retired March 2015

^^ 'Cos he sent me a message after I had left site. Later I caught on to who it could have been.
    Could it have gone something like..... Hey Brian, Had to work with an outsider today, this fellow thought he was mister cool, with squeaky clean clothes and all. Could have said what i thought about his attitude but only had to put up with him for 1/2 hour or so..... OOPS!

Nobody injured or lost in fire....

Actually met up with our Grizzly today and enjoyed a cup of coffee in the almost sunshine while we talked about nothing in particular, as you do (not like them women types).

I think overall that we did manage to put the world to rights so come the revolution folks, stand back - we're coming through.
    Retired March 2015

Hi Goober.
    where was the factory fire in Auckland.

Magoo,

Tuakau.

Changed an air blower on an ice builder, chased various wholesalers for parts, drove about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhXwY5klQQE

Jon

fitted a wash board on a mueller then a ref leak on a lovelly polar ice machine i still have no idea why a customer would buy these units then back the unit and sort a gah unit on a truck, a maverick condensor and a rover 25 then back out to a freezer room with moisture, anew customer who was fed up with payeing for driers every 6 months, units are two 8 hp bitzers on 053 driers the pipework is dropped down to three eight just before driers then raised back to five eight, fittrd some 305 driers , just about to go home and had a bottle cooler to look at 3 miles from where i started if i could invent a machine that evened out work and calls i would be a very rich man

Finally finished the VW Caddy chiller conversion and delivered it back to the customer. The installation of the chiller system and insulation kit went ok but when it came to supplying the ignition feed to the controller, well it seems all modern vehicles have a system called CAN BUS which supplies digital sgnals to different relays around the vehicle. So it`s not just a matter of cutting into the ignition wiring as by doing this you can create all sorts of spurious electrical faults. So I had to buy an interface relay and then pay an auto electrician to find the CAN HIGH and CAN LOW wires and tap into those. I suppose I could have tried to install the relay myself but experience has taught me vehicle electrical faults can be a right pain..
    So, although I quite enjoyed the original install I won`t be going into the refrigerated vehicle market any time soon.

Panicked when three BIG (to me) jobs came in and all want doing ASAP.

Eggs

Condemned a brand new inverter pcb which someone fitted yesterday. Found both outdoor fan motors faulty and damaged it. Original fault was L1 on a Daikin RZQ100D7V1B.
    In the words of David Byrne, Well...How did I get here?

set of to ****ermouth in cumbria at 06.00 from stockport cleared a full island of drains ( crap job ) and fitted new door handle on provisions coldroom. travelled to lancaster rewired KOXKA 3 door freezer and replaced mercury rdm controller on same case. back home in stockport for 18.30.
    the only bonus about today was great day to drive to cumbria really nice when sunny crap when raining though.
    your only as good as your last job

Left a set of gauges in the back of a truck, under pressure to get it finished and gone doh!

Only realised when on the next job looking for them but too late to call someone. Just hoping they have been put somewhere safe for me and not binned them.

Spent 2 hours checking why the Panasonic twin split refused to operate without any fault codes on the controller before I went to check the outdoor unit (ladders involved) and found the little LED's flashing compressor overcurrent.....DOH!

Sat my 17th edition test. I got 93%.
    Just need to do the 2079 now.........how long have we got left?

Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    Sat my 17th edition test. I got 93%.
    Just need to do the 2079 now.........how long have we got left?

Eggs
    Think its July 4th!!! Which will be here before we know it, was telling someone today i'd start an install in May, they pointed out we are already half way through! Not sure which month i was living in....

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Think its July 4th!!! Which will be here before we know it, was telling someone today i'd start an install in May, they pointed out we are already half way through! Not sure which month i was living in....

Jon
    i have my C&G 2391 inspecting and testing in June...........I might not bother with the 2079, it's easier, cheaper and more profitable to be a spark.......lol.

Think about it guys, we already have the customers. Why not sell them another service as well?

.......and when air to water really kicks in, who will they turn to?

Eggs

Sold my first job as an "Electrical Contractor" to an existing client...........anyone know of any proper electricians that can pull me out of the $hit?

Money for old rope, generally sparks charge me me £50/point for fcu's on VRF's, £350 for a 230v supply to a split and £500 for a 3ph. Ha.....Haaaaa.... Not anymore.

Eggs

Sold my first job as an "Electrical Contractor" to an existing client...........anyone know of any proper electricians that can pull me out of the $hit?

Money for old rope, generally sparks charge me me £50/point for fcu's on VRF's, £350 for a 230v supply to a split and £500 for a 3ph. Ha.....Haaaaa.... Not anymore.

Eggs
    Hahaha Love it! I've been thinking about doing a gas safe course, might keep me busier in the winter doing heating.

Jon

Eggs
    350 for a split?
    I've got a guy just starting out just like me and it's au$220 for a 10A circuit and au$270 for a 20a circuit. I can't do the pound sign from my laptop, but thats about 90 pounds for a 10A and 120 for a 20A circuit. If the prices seem low you, well a whole split system can be fitted here for 200 pounds. Not that I do them that cheap, but plenty of electricians and plumbers do in spring or autumn.

But anyway, where to find an electrcian:
    Just like when you were starting out, the prices were lower, but no one could find you due to lack of advertising budget.
    You've been there, so are the electricians starting out on their own right now.

Look harder or stand by the local electrical company driveway at knock off time and ask everyone if they are interested in a cash job as they are leaving.

edit: I think I lost few brain cells and didn't 'get' it, so nevermind me
    Last edited by paul_h; 13-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    edit: I think I lost few brain cells and didn't 'get' it, so nevermind me

Phew, I thought it was them across the other pond in the good old U, S of A that didn't get our irony.

Glad you got there in the end.

Cheers

Steve. (Ps, can a mod change me to Steve?, I don't know who eggs is. No one has ever called me eggs as long as i have lived)

(Ps, can a mod change me to Steve?, I don't know who eggs is. No one has ever called me eggs as long as i have lived)
    EGGS/Steve

Only the Boss has the power to change your moniker.

Send Webram a PM asking for the change...cheers

Got to put a freezer coldroom in a basement of a fish mongers shop ,stinks, flys everywhere the otherside ov m25 .3 hours ov traffic then thay phone up where rrrrrrrr u ,poxy job.

set up a controller,mended an ice machine,bought a telly for my beach home

Left at sunrise to change compressor on coldroom at a cattle station 2.5 hours away. An hour and 1/2 was dirt road. Problem was, it took longer than expected and sundown was approaching. Not ideal driving conditions at thoes hours in the bush as skippies bounce out and often cause serious vehicle damage. Settling into a steady pace on this rough gravel road when out popped the cattle, so it was either them or the bush for me. ABS braking systems are useless on dirt roads, might as well open the door and stick your foot out. After some serious grinding of rocks and dead branches under the ute, i've now got a vehicle minus two mufflers, and today i'll find out what else is missing when vehicle goes up the hoist.. mike.

Had to listen to a client complain about how ugly a big American can style 48MBTU HP looks in the front yard so....."oh can you make it look long and flat so i don't have to see it out my window" .... of course mum, I have a custom powdercoated enclosure in my back pocket.

Oh , and "would you like toast with that, mum"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    Had to listen to a client complain about how ugly a big American can style 48MBTU HP looks in the front yard so....."oh can you make it look long and flat so i don't have to see it out my window" .... of course mum, I have a custom powdercoated enclosure in my back pocket.
    I've had something similar with a wall mount, "i don't want to see it" (wanted it above a bay window, insted of the side wall i recommended) "you'll be in a draft when its heating", "I want it there!", "ok!"

After some time, "its drafty, can you move it"........

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Left at sunrise to change compressor on coldroom at a cattle station 2.5 hours away. An hour and 1/2 was dirt road. Problem was, it took longer than expected and sundown was approaching. Not ideal driving conditions at thoes hours in the bush as skippies bounce out and often cause serious vehicle damage. Settling into a steady pace on this rough gravel road when out popped the cattle, so it was either them or the bush for me. ABS braking systems are useless on dirt roads, might as well open the door and stick your foot out. After some serious grinding of rocks and dead branches under the ute, i've now got a vehicle minus two mufflers, and today i'll find out what else is missing when vehicle goes up the hoist.. mike.
    Whats the damage on the ute?

Reminds me of my mate, boss borrowed his works trooper one winter and put it through a hedge in the snow, never said anything, mates driving next day, every now and then theres an odd noise and a sort of hopping feeling, had a look and there was still a branch stuck under it which was catching the road every so often!

Jon

Hi Jon. Yeh, up the hoist it went to find underside has similar damage to a ship aground on a coral reef. More than a grand to replace 3 mufflers and pipe + one rear air bag leak + need engine sump guard as i nearly tore out sump. Air bags are fitted inside rear coil springs space to assist in load carrying capacity. No external pannel damage... Got to watch these mechanics though, after an oil change some time ago, i drove off and the faster i went, the vibration increased and a loud slapping noise was obvious. I pulled over and found 2 cableties on the driveshaft. One had a large nut secured and the other was slapping underside of vehicle. CHEEKY BUGGERS, I knew who did it.. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Hi Jon. Yeh, up the hoist it went to find underside has similar damage to a ship aground on a coral reef. More than a grand to replace 3 mufflers and pipe + one rear air bag leak + need engine sump guard as i nearly tore out sump. Air bags are fitted inside rear coil springs space to assist in load carrying capacity. No external pannel damage... Got to watch these mechanics though, after an oil change some time ago, i drove off and the faster i went, the vibration increased and a loud slapping noise was obvious. I pulled over and found 2 cableties on the driveshaft. One had a large nut secured and the other was slapping underside of vehicle. CHEEKY BUGGERS, I knew who did it.. Mike.
    we used to tie coke cans etc to mates cars undersides and once we had a number plate made with funny index one guy drove around for a week before noticing lmao!

arrived on site was told the toliet was leaking explained to moron i was the refrigeration engineer so when will you fix it was reply watched moron try to remove swager from his head went to see fm WHAT ABOUT THESE CONSTANT DRAUGHTS and a good morning to you was my reply explained to lap top carrying idiot for the 12 time that the mitsibishi vrfs were fighting against the fresh air system because this had originally been a carrier vav system and thou the boxes had been removed the stupid satchwell 2800 system was still programmed as a vav system and not a fresh air system fm then tried to find some sort of spread sheet on laptop to give reply answer on not finding one stormed off to order some coffee.after walking through office to a hail of abuse from varoiuse members of the call center about sheilas hot nigels cold and ive got a draught up my never regions hid in plantroom.reset water chiller as security guard did fire test and could not fathom out that the button that said reset plant reset the plant.Cleaned condensor on daiken split as kids had thrown their mcdonalds dinner into it.Filled out 4 million permits for variuose pratts who decided to start work on a friday.Had cig ,started car jumped fence in it and went home
    For Ever Damned and Called Fridge Engineer whoops sorry multiskilled technican aka Baldrick

*Free beer for the first person to tell me whats wrong with this freezer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL-CxPsvIq0

Jon

*terms and conditions apply

Jon, good thing you said "first person". Could have got expensive

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    Jon, good thing you said "first person". Could have got expensive
    I know! I still owe beers from the last time.....

Jon

You've never got a decent vacuum cleaner when you need one....
    Retired March 2015

You've never got a decent vacuum cleaner when you need one....
    Neither has the customer now! He wasn't having a good day, freezer broke, boiler leaking water, someone broke his hoover and when i went to unplug the extension lead the plug fell apart....

Just hope he pays.....

Jon

went to a site decant willaims case replaced compressor / drier / replaced condenser fan motor cleaned condenser vac system weigh gas in .. replaced some drain lines in 2 coldrooms and replaced starter tubes and 3 ballast then got the feck out of and home

old timer

Had to go to Bath College to do the F-gas thingy. 3 days and I hate that section of M4 between Swindon and Bath it just seems to go on forever

Anyway on my way this morning about 7.00 went round to Newbury Tesco to fill up and some guy in a metallic blue Merc van in front of me went round the roundabout like a madman..White sign writing said HarT & Co refrigeration

Some bloody monkey or his mate no doubt..

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    Anyway on my way this morning about 7.00 went round to Newbury Tesco to fill up and some guy in a metallic blue Merc van in front of me went round the roundabout like a madman..White sign writing said HarT & Co refrigeration

Some bloody monkey or his mate no doubt..
    It wasn't me! I've been driving like a madman in Chipping Norton today!

Jon

condemned a screw compressor on a carrier water chiller electrical burn out got other section up and running as it was pretty critiical price for a re build 6450 quid lift an shift 1400 quid price for a new one 18445 quid lift an shift 750 knowing the customer as i do as i am a direct employee they gonna talk about it for 3months sh*t will hit the fan in 6months they will buy the new one and as the kit only just under 3yrs old they will want to find someone to blame for the failure am glad i wasnt working for them then lol

Went an hour out of town today, in the middle of nowhere, to install a buffer tank in a crowded boiler room and forgot the only tube cutter that would fit in the tiny space. No saw of any kind, high humidity and an as**ole client so I went back to the shop, and low and behold, the bar fridge had one more ice cold Stiegl beer. The day is not all lost.

easy jobs
    U4 on daikin
    ne outdoor pcb easy donr
    APAC S23 TRIP ON HP indoor fan going on oveload trip after 30mints run new indoor fan motor unit work like new
    samsong split unit checked compressor grounded to be replaced

that how my service report looked like for today