Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

What did we do today?

I though it would be interesting to post what our days are like, would be good reading for anyone thinking of being a fridgy and interesting to see what others get to work on.

Was supposed to be going to Ross-on-Wye to fit an economy seven box on an ice builder but got two calls in the Aylesbury direction instead.

Got to site found milk at 7.8C (should be below 3.5C) and climbed up on the roof, found both units running, a quick laying on of hands found one comp nice and cool and the other very hot.

Chucked the gauges on and found the hot one not pumping very well, wouldn't go below 30psi and running at 4.9A instead of 7ish A on the other one.

New comp time! As the original Copeland comp is obselete i've ordered a nice L'unite to replace it with

Second job was a ice bank probe shorted causing the tank to freeze up soild, good job the had pleanty of hot water so i could melt my way through to the probe.

If all goes to plan i'll get to Ross tomorrow and pick up a new evap for a takeaway and the new comp and burn out drier.

Jon

Re: What did we do today?

Not my usual day was today - friend calls can you top my car AC
    Bring it round I said , he did I , jacked it up to see a hole in the side of compressor.
    £400 lighter he returns with compressor from honda CRV that is
    another 6 hours later its fitted and the rest is history

Subframe off all engine mounts off -- absolute nightmare be warned Honda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    Bring it round I said , he did I , jacked it up to see a hole in the side of compressor.

the reason i dont like working on cars alright if you have a 4 poster ramp but not a nice job to do on a driveway

Pics or it didn't happen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEtYI_OIHok

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post

You would think he'd have heard it go bang!

Serviced a chiller unit queued through traffic to get home just another typical day.But tomorrow i'm away fishing HAPPY DAYS

Today was just trying to sort out tired and old R22 chillers, and loosing the battle.
    Good one in the early hours of Saturday though!
    I managed to charge 500kg of R407c in 3.5 hrs (which i thought was good going?)
    It took another 1,5 hrs to add the further 200kgs. But in my defence 18 of the remaining cylinders where 9kg ones!
    OH! I almost forgot, it involved 3/8" lines and a Space heater!
    Grizzly

Have a good day fishing James,

Picked up new evap on the way to site, broke three drill bits trying to fix the new control box to stainless steel, had a bit of a job fitting the low ice probe, has to be cable tied to the evaporator pipe so up to my elbow in ice water trying to do up two cable ties one handed as i couldn't fit my other arm between the ice banks. You can feel the cold blood go back up your arm

Picked up the new compressor for tomorrow from newbury on the way back. Loaded up the van with a selection of pipe and a recover bottle.

Jon

Just finished Installing 16000 litre Roka Tank, 2 comps H/R Ice Builder, Plate cooler.
    Onto the next job where, who knows

Quote Originally Posted by supra_84 View Post
    Just finished Installing 16000 litre Roka Tank, 2 comps H/R Ice Builder, Plate cooler.
    Onto the next job where, who knows
    Thats a pretty big tank, change over or was it a new dairy? It can be a lot of work to get done between milkings!
    I've only fitted one Roka tank, about 7000L seems very reliable.

Jon

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Well this is what I posted yesterday, but like a wally I put it in the wrong thread...

Replaced a leaking boiler gas control valve and told them to get their drains cleaned as the rest of the smell was not from the gas main.

Did a service on a few splits, nothing much to report there I'm afraid.

Going to fire up a solar water heater tomorrow after the summer shut-down. Sounds silly doesn't it? But it is a school and not used during the holiday period. Hey Ho.

And the follow up is that the solar system is still crap even after a recent visit for repairs by the 'experts'.

Uncovered the panels, waited for the sun to come up and watched the panel start to produce steam as the system was full of air and short of fluid.

So the panels are covered again and the gas fired water heaters are still working well.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 02-09-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Today was just trying to sort out tired and old R22 chillers, and loosing the battle.
    It took another 1,5 hrs to add the further 200kgs. But in my defence 18 of the remaining cylinders where 9kg ones!
    Grizzly
    Wow, that's a massive amount of refrigerent. Big systems hey
    Makes me laugh about being reluctant to add a WHOLE 30Kg to that ice machine.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    Wow, that's a massive amount of refrigerent. Big systems hey
    Makes me laugh about being reluctant to add a WHOLE 30Kg to that ice machine.
    Yep it was a larger than normal system even for us Industrial guys!
    I must still be tired from it though, as it was R404a not R407c as I posted.
    The larger the charge the more to loose when a pipe fractures.
    Cheers Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Thats a pretty big tank, change over or was it a new dairy? It can be a lot of work to get done between milkings!
    I've only fitted one Roka tank, about 7000L seems very reliable.

Jon

Not that Big really these days, biggest milk tank we have fitted is a 50,000 litre for Waitrose

Was a changeover in a sence, that we ripped out the old tanks ( 3 forwards) We supplied him 2 loan tanks and hooked up one of his old tanks outside as a tempoary Measure, then obviously the old room had the Ice Builder inside.
    But the new tank was outside on a plith with a remote washbox.
    Installed lots of roka tanks, not so many new but 3 more to go in atm. But seem to be putting in lots of secound hand tanks.

Yep it was a larger than normal system even for us Industrial guys!
    I must still be tired from it though, as it was R404a not R407c as I posted.
    The larger the charge the more to loose when a pipe fractures.
    Cheers Grizzly

thats a huge system, i have looked after tesco sites with 13 roof top plants, all with 8 scrolls and the whole site would use only 2 3rds of what you have added, i think systems this size are exactly what gives the green brigade the amo they need to jump on the old fridge band wagon! on a lighter note i have done nixie kia ae today other than surf the net and drink tea

Quote Originally Posted by coolhibby1875 View Post
    thats a huge system, i have looked after tesco sites with 13 roof top plants, all with 8 scrolls and the whole site would use only 2 3rds of what you have added, i think systems this size are exactly what gives the green brigade the amo they need to jump on the old fridge band wagon! on a lighter note i have done nixie kia ae today other than surf the net and drink tea
    You are not wrong coolhibby.
    You don't get plants that big anymore, nor should you.
    But as they say, what we got is what we got!
    Personally i would of preferred Ammonia!
    Which they have as well!
    Cheers Grizzly

Grizzly
    Thats more than i'd use in a year! Took a 12kg bottle of R404A back to nrs this week and i'd had it so long they couldn't find it on the system

Fitted my comp today, run up the system and found the head pressure climbing up towards 360psi so had to wash out the condenser when i though i would be on the way home, wonder if thats what killed the old one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_nC0uIRJE

If the phone stays quiet tomorrow i'm off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair
    Last edited by monkey spanners; 02-09-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Here is the compressor ,Not a very clear picture but ya can`t miss the hole

After fitting the new compressor I found that a faulty HP switch caused it.

I unplugged one of the fans and the head pressure went up to about 450 psi then the clutch started slipping.

As monkey said the bloke must of heard it pop

All sorted now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Quality; 03-09-2010 at 07:40 AM.

If the phone stays quiet tomorrow I'm off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair
    You and the bottom half of the UK.
    What time did you start queueing at?

Thats more than I'd use in a year!
    I won't start talking about "Pigs of Refrigerant" then!

Took a 12kg bottle of R404A back to nrs this week
    Did they credit you anything like what they are now charging for it?

Here is the compressor
    The one Jon is talking about?

Not that Big really these days, biggest milk tank we have fitted is a 50,000 litre for Waitrose
    It is all a question of scale really guys.
    I site I look after processes between 1 to 1.5 million Litres of Milk a day.

Big is usually simpler, as you all know it's the small stuff that can be the most difficult!
    Cheers Grizzly.

Quality,

It always amazes me how bad things can be and yet no one heard a thing

Grizzly,

Spent about 20/30 minutes queing to get in after a slight detour due to Dave wanting to avoid Salisbury.
    A good day out really, may have eated too many donuts...

The 12kg was empty so no credit but al least they will stop charging bottle rental now!

Jon

now then , when you all get as old as me? you may want to take it easy
    with dreaming of working , I usually get up at about 10 am -11-00 have a cup of tea + 3wheetabix + milk + honey a swift walk round the corner in the local supermamcardo , a daily mail < E1-50< 4 more steps into the airis bar for the first of my 2 coffees descaffenado con lechy e machina
    by this time the locals are comin in today Pacho brought me 2 kilows of figs barto price one coffee < paid in full < papa raffa arived promply at that time with one 3 kilo agwa melon <too big for me < so I swopped it for an english breakfast I made arrangements to pick up more figs and loads of wild grapes the morning after and a promice< I cannot go into that at the moment< going back to my appartment < feeling a bit blowted< I accepted a lift off a local mate of mine who has a bar in town , he asked me about beer coolers , I said ah very complicardo added one pint of water job done- a prommice of a nite out with meal+ free beer+ wine he dropped me off and I had a early siesta, well earned.
    Last edited by sedgy; 04-09-2010 at 12:24 AM.

hi all a tipical morning work for a mature ex tec,after dreaming of water chillers blowing up I usually get up at 11-00 have my cup of tea, 3 wheetabix with milk + hony.
    walking stick in hand , a slow methodical walk round the corner to the supermacardo for my daily mail, then into the airis bar the first of my coffee descafinado,s went down well .
    but by this time the locals are arriving , packo first 2 kilo of figs - one coffee americano, < one euro< then papa raffa in and smiling< whats he got?< ah a 3 kilo agwa melon , too big for us so that was exchanged for an english breakfast < only just got it down < I was just reading my paper and having my 2nd coffee , when one of the local bar owners drove past , did a quick stop reverced draged me into his jilloppy + asked whats the problem with his beer cooler ? I shook my head sideways several times. and he looked sad into his bar one pint of water flashcooler ok and a promice of a nite out with a meal + beer + wine- well not a bad mornings work for an old feller.
    Last edited by sedgy; 04-09-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: well I cannot read spanish - can you ?

Picked up my new van, Previous one only 11 months old but already spanked it for 44k so guess they thought it had better be changed. Gone from a vauxhall vivaro to a merc vito. hated it earlier (Been on Vivaros with various emplyers for about 6 years so liked them) but this is growing on me very quickly. LWB version, #### loads of room inside, good engine and drivers comfort up there with the best, Vivaros may now be down to 2nd place now

Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    Picked up my new van, Previous one only 11 months old but already spanked it for 44k so guess they thought it had better be changed. Gone from a vauxhall vivaro to a merc vito. hated it earlier (Been on Vivaros with various emplyers for about 6 years so liked them) but this is growing on me very quickly. LWB version, #### loads of room inside, good engine and drivers comfort up there with the best, Vivaros may now be down to 2nd place now
    agreed, i like the vito too, only drawback with the vito is fuel consumption, man those mercs are thirsty!

i do some work for one of my customers on the refrigerated trailers but have been looking after the main cold store refrigeration equipment wow is there a big difference.10hp as against 100hp!,its very interesting but now they think i can mend anything including the moving racking system in the store man i think i may be being groomed as their maintenence engineer could see me up to retirement but i hate working at the same place variety whats i like.

Got back last night from a week in sunny Berwick on Tweed! Ran up a new Tesco site on C02, Star packs, sub and transcritical systems. Will be back on Monday to complete the job as the store opens next Monday. I will be away sailing from Wednesday so someone else will finish up the paperwork He He!

agreed, i like the vito too, only drawback with the vito is fuel consumption, man those mercs are thirsty!

Mine aint, limited to 111Kph !!!!!!

Fitted a new scroll comp on a farm, old one was a ZR72 with rotalocks but they are only available now with stubs so fitted a ZB45 instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMMvx0vYFWg

Old comp looks to have some severe copper plating and bearing wear!

Still haven't found time to do the new evap at the restaurant, have provisionally booked it in for thursday but it depends on the customer due to it being the end of Ramadan.

Jon

Hi Guys,
    officially had the day from hell today, relocate two cassettes, repipe and leave under pressure in london city, left brum at 5 got there at 11 !!, then got sent down with the wrong pipe so i phoned the office to find out who had surveyed the site. nobody, was the answer i got. so i went to camden to get the correct pipe,took an hour and ten to get there, after queing in climate for 30 mins got told your on stop. great, phoned the office to be told to use 5/8, 3/8 instead of the correct 1/2, 1/4. unfrickinbelieveable. in the end i left at 6 and i've just walked in.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Went fishing to day, well I am on leave.
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Went fishing to day, well I am on leave.
    did you catch anything?

did you catch anything?
    Not a lot to be honest; a few small Whiting, baby Pollack and a couple of fair sized Pollack.

Got dark so went home.
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Not a lot to be honest; a few small Whiting, baby Pollack and a couple of fair sized Pollack.

Got dark so went home.
    Thats a lot more than i have been catching, not caught anything in last 7 trips sea fishing of the east coast of Scotland, going to try the west coast next week, hopefully more fish there

Pull my hair out.

Went to a daikin ducted a/c. The condensing unit is on the ground in an alleyway, so they got a steel cage put around it.
    The steel cage was built in situ, tightly around the unit. Whoever did it was really happy with how inpenetrable it was I guess, and sealed the deal by dabbing a weld over all the nuts holding it together and securing it to the ground.

How the hell is anyone supposed to service or repair it when the cage doesn't come apart?

Told them I'll be back tomorrow with a grinder.

edit: Also a call back to a unit that had no refrigerant last week. I had leak tested, reflared and recharged it on thursday. It stopped on saturday apparently. Well I went back today and found the compressor seized

Least I didn't stuff up the leak repair But they aren't happy customers anymore
    Last edited by paul_h; 08-09-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Paul H,

Sympathise with ya brother...through no fault of your own, you and your company are made to look like complete idiots and at worst dodgy repairers. Hopefully you have a good working relationship with the customer. Days and things like this that make me question my career path.

Today got asked to pop along to look at an ice flaker which one of our engineers had looked at earlier.

He expressed access issues and the Maintenance Manager asked if I'd give my appraisal

This has been in 7 years and no one knew it was even there. It has never been serviced as the pool guy's thought ice flakes appeared down the tube as if by magic.
    The white panel was cut only after they reported "No ice" so the maintenance manager and my engineer went looking for the flaker unit..

You can see it has lost it's gas but to repair it I told him the hole needs to be a whole lot bigger!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    Today got asked to pop along to look at an ice flaker which one of our engineers had looked at earlier.

He expressed access issues and the Maintenance Manager asked if I'd give my appraisal

This has been in 7 years and no one knew it was even there. It has never been serviced as the pool guy's thought ice flakes appeared down the tube as if by magic.
    The white panel was cut only after they reported "No ice" so the maintenance manager and my engineer went looking for the flaker unit..

You can see it has lost it's gas but to repair it I told him the hole needs to be a whole lot bigger!

Absolute Magic!
    Down in the south west we would call a gynaecologist!
    Or maybe a priest to read the last rights!
    Thanks for that one.
    Just how do you propose to leak check that?
    It's not on R22 is it?
    Cheers Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post

Its a wonder it worked at all let alone for seven years

Jon

just check through my fuel receipts as ive now down 2000 miles and up till now my mpg is 37mpg average over those miles. Had 40mpg on the first tank, ive fueled up at tescos 3 times and my cumsumption down to 36 when on their fuel

regards

Latte

Absolute Magic!
    Down in the south west we would call a gynaecologist!
    Or maybe a priest to read the last rights!
    Thanks for that one.
    Just how do you propose to leak check that?
    It's not on R22 is it?
    Cheers Grizzly
    This is in a 4* hotel in Gloucester.I told the MM he will need to make a much larger hole and we'll come back and have another look,

As regards gas -not clue as yet!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Its a wonder it worked at all let alone for seven years

Jon
    It's got a water cooled condenser we can see that much and a gas leak as there's oil in the base. Due to the construction we can't make the hole big enough to get the unit out so it's all in situ stuff..

It's an obvious latent defect but as the fit out company went bust last year (Ramparts) the hotel is on it's own

Yesterday i got called to a beer cellar at a local pub for not cooling, found the fan on the condenser seized up, was a nice old Prestcold 3/4hp unit dating from the 1980's. Didn't have a motor on the van so a quick call to the wholesalers and off to get one, return and fit. I like working on these old units, makes a nice change!
    Washed out the condenser and managed to fill my back pocket up with water while rolling up the hose afterwards

Today was off to Uttoxeter on a jolly to pick up a bumper for my truck restoration project, guy only wanted £20 for it! just needs sand blasting and painting

Jon

Went to do a quick recce of a site where I have got to do a boiler service.

Mutterings that it is a garden centre, yeah right.

Found two 24MW gas fired boilers; told the guy in the office and his comment was - "Did I price it properly or not?"

Well it is a little larger than the normal we do now-a-days.

Interesting system layout in big greenhouses; the boilers produce a clean exhaust so they draw off some of the fumes to feed the greenhouse with CO2 which the plants convert back to O2. Talk about going green.
    Retired March 2015

Nothing to do with fridge stuff but my daughter came round last night with her car, she says a red "cup " is coming on on the dashboard. Sure enough it`s the oil light. I asked her when she last checked the oil, "er what`s that" she replied. On checking the dipstick I found nothing on it. I attempted to pour some oil in the filler cap only to find it blocked with a black paste...remants of long burnt oil. It turns out it`s done 51,000 miles without an oil change!! I says a lot for Jap engineering. After I filled it up it ran as sweet a nut.
    That`s what I did last night, I now know what I`m doing Sunday...a slightly overdue service on her car.

Replaced a glass panel on a lincat drop in display unit.
    It was a real pig of a job Just getting the shelves out of those things is a nightmare. I'm glad it was just the small flat panel at the top and not the curved bits.

Andy

I recovered charge on a imi hi-lo aircon system and added 2 shots of leak detection dye. I then put the charge back in system and run system up. Tommorow I will go round with the glasses and torch.
    Checked a mitshubishi split as well indoor unit was blowing hot air, possible shortage of r22, If it is I will just condemn it. But thats a job for this morning.
    Oh yeah changed a fan motor in a corner shop dairy fridge.

Got annoyed and applied for a new job.

Made a mistake can't just condemn the mitshibushi, it works, but is short. Rookie mistake.

We had a Hitachi cassette system delivered to site, opened the boxes to check for any damage (didn`t want to try and claim for damage a day or so later) lo and behold the outdoor unit had been dropped. The compressor is at a strange angle in the cabinet and lots of pipes are bent. Hoping for a new one to be delivered for Monday.
    I can`t say I`m to bothered about another day on site as they do a full breakfast and tea for £3

Sloooow day on the home front( have the flu anyway) so i've been reading through chit-chat history. up th page 15. Some incredible subjects. I've now got a fairly good handle on the main characters of today, for example Grizzly, i had you pegged as the character from : It ain't half hot mum, Y'now seargent major, anyway I can add further to others profile later if requested but before i'm" moderated" off here for hijacking Jon's thread, can i just say i'm still waiting for that free beer( in good faith) from your post Jon...... mike.