Cant Find Access To Air Handler

On a service call tonight on a 30 year old or older two story privately owned apartment complex that reminded me of a motel 6. I believe the blower motor or cap is bad. I could not locate the air handler. The apartment is on the second story with a flat roof and no attic. The ceiling was all shot with popcorn and no visible access panels inside or on the roof. I looked in all the closets, rooms, roof, bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms. I opened the return grill in the hallway, center of all the rooms. the grill was at the bottom of a small drop ceiling and when I poked my head in took a look inside I could see some metal duct running to the rooms the bottom side of the roof and no air handler. Does any one have a idea? Is there a chance the ceiling will need to be cut to access the air handler? What am I missing?

Re: Cant Find Access To Air Handler

First time for you hey?
    It's happened to me a few times, and I know it sucks.

First hopefully you know the indoor unit, like whether you need access to it from the left, right or underneath. If not, you need to know this first.

If the r/a grille connects to flexi duct, you may be lucky enough to lift it off and get a visual on the indoor for it's location.
    If it's a rigid r/a duct, you can see the direction the ductwork is in via the r/a, any chance of sticking a tape measure down there until you hit the evap coil? Or shine a torch to see any bends or evap coil?

Otherwise tell the customer they're screwed.
    No seriously, it's up to you to take the risk probing about with a fine bit of wire, and be willing to take the risk to 1) finding the unit without ruining the ceiling, 2) finding the correct side of the unit that you need access to, 3) getting a manhole kit from a hardware or building supply shop and cutting the ceiling to fit it in the correct place for you to do the job

Re: Cant Find Access To Air Handler

Today was a first! I was not able to get any model specific information on the unit other than it was in the bathroom from HOA. Both the property manger and homeowner wanted to know how much it was going to cost and the tenant wanted to know when I would have the job finished. I cut a big access panel in the ceiling. The unit was totally serviceable and accessed from the bottom. I got lucky. I replaced the cap and suggested to property management to have the maintenance man finish the ceiling repair. Thank You Paul