Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

DIYer ~ Untrained, Unqualled, Illegally Installing

As you say anyone can cut a hole in a wall and put up some trunking. You can even bend some copper, maybe. No quals needed there, although we are starting to get into installing F-Gas pipe systems which is controlled.

When you say DIY kit from B&Q, that is the kit with quick couplers; your MHI is NOT one of those DIY kits, especially if you are flaring pipe ends and vac'ing out the system etc.

You are installing F-Gas aircon systems proper.

One awkward question for you: Did you pressure test the system with nitrogen before starting your vac-out?........I guess not. That £600-odd reg valve for nitrogen is a bit pricey for a one-off DIY.

We are not wanting to argue about your competence of bending and flaring pipe etc, though we do suspect it would not pass the legal F-Gas Assessment. No, we are simply pointing out that there are laws and regulations in this country covering the install of F-Gas systems and you are breaking them.

Break them if you want, but please do not ask a trained engineer to condone it. They are already a bit brusied by the time and costs involved in proving that they comply with the same.

So, stop the arguing. Carry on what you are doing if you want, but do not try and get trained and qualled engineers to approve of your actions. (I would suggest you not go boasting about your unqualled installs, also, as you might get a pull from the local Council).
    Last edited by Makeit go Right; 12-09-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Re: Some beginner questions on split units.

Well said,,,, Makeit go Right.
    Every member should agree with you 100%.
    Should be more members like you to say what you think and say what's right.

This has been the most entertaining thread I have ever read, fantastic. I admire Reptile for (probably unwittingly) going where angels fear to tread. For what its worth my opinion is that there are people out there who are going to do DIY installs and its better to help them out than not. Good luck to you Reptile I hope you get many years of comfort form your units and enjoy the money you have saved. Dont be too hard on the fridgies out there they are just trying to defend their patch. Before anyone cuts me down I am in the industry have done my time.

David G,
    Do you have any licences?Obviously not,,,who would in their right mind condone unprofessional and unlicenced backyarders and wanna be tradies.
    I think you should exit the industry.

How ridiculous Lawrence, if you think qualified engineers have exclusive rights on fitting splits.

There are lots of bitter split fitters out there, calling themselves 'engineers' who can't do anything else, desperately trying to protect their 'trade secrets' ... THEY ARE THE DISGRACE...

David G, i'll have to sit on the fence regarding your comment however Reptile did not answer my question on electrical wiring of these units. Electrical wiring size, no earth tests, screws piercing cable and remained live as it failed to ground,(Was on site when sparky found that one). Really its not always about money, surely safety has to be recognised. Look what happened on the home insulation front, one of the innocent workers who was electricuted and died was from my area, money won't help him now, so Reptile, at least get the damned installation electrically certified! ..End of rant... mike

doramide7 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
    Monkeyspanners, I must apologise, having re-read your post, somehow I have missed your explanation on the 2 halves of the flaring tool being misaligned. Must have skimmed it. As it goes, you were bang right. And your post was informative and not rude, even thought you didn't miss the opportunity to mount the high-horse about the F Gas just slightly.

So is it common then? The ridges on the flare? I'm guessing to some extent they get squished down by the flare nut. Or is it a no-no?

Slightly annoyed my expensive tool came like this, AND I've installed one unit with it, blowing a fair amount of Nitrogen in the process.
    You might consider it high-horse but when we have invested a fair amount of time and money to enable us to work legally within the law of the land we do a get little peeved when others, such as yourself, are able to simple ignore it without penalty.

It is the same with the Gas Industry so you are not unique in this matter.

Damn, Backtospace, were you a secretary before refrigeration? how many words/min can you type? YEH! OFF TOPIC mike..

I think this thread has touched a raw nerve with some of the members as the posts seem to be getting further away from the original question.

Maybe it's time to close the thread to new posts which just might prevent any further comments becoming a little too personal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123