ddice Guest

Scotsman SCE 170 stops producing

I just installed a used SCE 170-hooked up according to manual (in line filter etc)-the unit starts and runs fine and will make ice-nearly filled the bin the first time, then it stops producing ice and the water begins to overflow as it flows over the evaporator (which is now not making ice) and drips into the ice bin.
    I tried simply starting all over and restarting according to the manual-same thing-starting making ice in the timeframe it said it would-about 20 minutes. Started filling up the bin, but the ice was wet, the tray was overflowing slightly and then it stopped making ice altogether again.
    Not a tech, just a homeowner, but since it made a bin of ice I am assuming the problem is not refrigerant,yes? I will check the levelness of the unit again, that could explain the water overflow? Any other simple solutions that are not obvious to me?'Thanks

Re: Scotsman SCE 170 stops producing

no simple solution that i can think of,if its new go through the warraty process,if you tamper with it you may void it
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

The unit will have about 5 lights on it, when the unit stops and has the problems take note of the lights and reply to us, the unit can tell us whats wrong by the light configeration, cheers

ddice Guest

It has 3 lights - I will test it and post-thanks!

ddice Guest

I went through the startup process again-the two lights went on and off like they are supposed to-I checked the bin circuit thing according to the manual-using the harvest switch and opening the curtain-machine ****s off and then restarts when closed.
    It took a little longer than the 15-20 minutes stated for the first ice-like 1/2 hour, and I then adjusted the ice bridge thickness down a bit and since then it has been making ice nicely and not spilling water all over the place (I checked and it was level).
    Seems to be fine now- a day and half of making ice-are these machines a little fussy like that? They will make ice then stop and just need to be restarted a time or two to get them running right? I really didn't change anything other than the bridge thickness on the cubes.
    Like a PC-turn it off and restart a few times till it works right>