Hansen&Lydersen Guest

I need some technical Help

I need to make a cooling cabinet for my smoked salmon business. These cabinets are for display purposes and needs to keep a temperature of 3 degrees Celsius.
    One of the cabinets is going to be used in ambient outside temperatures in a market where I have to run power power from a battery 12 volt.

The cabinet is built by using a steal frame and double glazed glass. With an insulated top and bottom.
    The cabinet measures 1100 mm High and 500 mm wide square.

I need to know what compressor I should buy for both the 12 and 220 Volt version. I would also need some help in suggesting where to get them from in England and what other equipment I would need to complete the installation. I have a digital temperature controller already with a probe to control the output temperature.

Any suggestions on the design is welcome. I have just started this business and I have almost no money left so I need to find the cheapest way to make them.
    They are going to be leased out to restaurants/ fishmongers selling my smoked salmon.

I have no Idea also what to buy for controlling humidity inside. And I don't want any condensation building up inside the windows either. I really would appreciate any help so I can start building these.

Any help is welcomed and If you live in London maybe I could get some advice over a coffee.

Re: I need some technical Help

dear sir,
    I would suggest you look in the yellow pages and ask a local frige company to quote for the said same items < are you going to use double or tripple gazed windows?<

cheelr Guest

You will likely have trouble keeping the batteries charged. The size sounds typical of an average marine pleasure craft refer box, which can't be run more than 8-10 hours on a pretty large 12 volt battery without recharging. If your sellers have to sell all day and plug in to an ac charger at night they'd need to have an even bigger battery since you'd be charging sometimes for shorter periods than they'd be selling, and you or they would need some well designed battery chargers. You can get little 12v condensing units and evap coils that you could put in your boxes (look at recreational marine stores/catalogues) but you will have to build them into the boxes (taking up some space) and if they get banged around at all they will require frequent service on electrical components as well as leak repair. Use ice.

Hansen&Lydersen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    dear sir,
    I would suggest you look in the yellow pages and ask a local frige company to quote for the said same items < are you going to use double or tripple gazed windows?<
    I will be using triple glass

Hansen&Lydersen Guest

I have been searching for a while with no luck though.
    Someone suggested me to use a Danfoss BD35F compressor...
    The main challenge is to divide it so it can give me some cold vapor as well as cooling. I cant have the salmon drying out and loosing weight. The capillary expansion needs to be calculated and a restriction needs to be set for the compressor not to break down and suffer damage. The refrigerant should be 404A I've been told.

You're not asking for a bit of help for troubleshooting*.
    You need a refrigeration company to design this as it requires proper design and manufacturing.
    Some of us run a business too, or do you give out free salmon?

* I normally help out end users where I can.
    But sometimes you have to pay for help, especially when it's a project for business and it looks like you want to build your own cabinets etc unlicensed.

Hansen&Lydersen Guest

Lightbulb Re: I need some technical Help

I understand your point...

Though not all businesses are making money after the first 6 months and rely mostly on free mentoring and free advice to develop in the beginning. I have started this business almost whit out no capital which I would advice others to do as well though its a constant struggle in finding creative solutions when you are faced with problems. But the motto is Never give up never sounder.
    YES I would love to have the money to call up a manufacture of display cabinets and give them a beautiful design brief, hey there could you please design this for me... I need 40 of them here is the money.... NONO!!! I cannot. Because I do not have the capital.
    First of all I need to make a first prototype... I would live to pay for it and to have someone make it for me, but I am afraid THERE IS NO CALVARY COMING TO MY RESCUE, I am therefor doomed to do it by my self.

To you who feels I am intruding as a competitor, your very wrong, I am just a humble guy asking experts for some simple guidance in a project.

And yes if you help me I can provide you with some free smoked salmon. N16 9HS London
    hansen-lydersen.com

use ice until your on your feet
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

First you should invest in a vacuum blister pack machine, then you don't expose product to bacteria contamination and product weight loss. Then as Low cool suggested pack in ice, preferably flack ice as it is colder.
    Low capital investment, then as things develop look at portable chillers etc..