Thread: oil slurry

oil slurry

Did anybody experiance a strange modification of oil in an NH3 ref system. Oil is forming a masive slime which accumulates in the filter. After opening, the slime gets solid like play dough, in air contact.
    After changing the oil and serveral changes of the filters we are not sure to filter the old slime or if the reaction continues.
    Any experiance with this situation.

Re: oil slurry

I never experiance that.

No large amount of water on the system? Or leaks from a secondary system of other refrigerant or water?

How it is your refrigerant plant? Typifies her please.
    To make progress is never good enough, I want to do better and better and better

Are you using the correct oil type regarding between other factors the regimen of operation of the plant?
    To make progress is never good enough, I want to do better and better and better

hi sandro, thanks for posting,
    according to last oil check there was just 16 ppm of water in the oil, according to the available info just PAO mobil SHC 226 E was charged, more oil and NH3 samples has been sent for analysis,

okay. We also use that syntectical oil from MOBIL to NH3 compressors

Is this a new system?, have you changed from mineral oil to synthetic SHC226E, describe the "slime ", is it black and gritty? What is the SST and SDT. Single stage or compounded.
    More information required please.

Hi Guys,
    System is in operation since two september 08, oil problems came up recently, two NH3 dx system for glycol cooling, SST -3°C and -13°C SDT approx 40°C
    PAO oil all the time,
    but is there any experiance if a wrong oil, mineral or worst case POE would cause such a mess?

The slime is white to brown, viscosity like heavy greas, on some places in the system we find particles like cristalls which can be squeezed between the fingers.

Ammonia is not compatible, as far I know with the lubricant polyoil ester POE and it has only limited applications with the PAG lubricant. The consequences of the mixing honestly I don't know...never have tried

heat&reaf,

Any news?

Have you sure that the plant never have been topped up with mineral oil?

Mineral oil should never mixed with PAO (synthetic) SABROE oil. Existing ammonia plants currently using mineral oilshould be changed to AP68 oil.

Mineral oil have less chemical stability. If the discharge temperature are high it's very bad for the oil. For the regimen -13ºC/+40ºC and with a not good cooling of the heads and the oil...I think the mineral oil can't have long life time getting black (at end of 1.000...2.000 hours). If your oil separators are not good you must always topping up and purging old oil and so maybe the case is not getting worst.

Can you send us a picture of an oil filter full of slime?

Hi Sando,
    thanks a lot for your interest, I suppose you know how the nights are, when you are in this situation:

I tried to poste pictures, its realy unbelivable, but I dont know how to do it in this forum,
    the last info from "ilk", (institut für luft und Kältetechnik, the most experienced and cientific institute for HVAC in the german speaking area) is that the final product are amines, they are generated out of corbonaccit, which is generated by ester and NH3.
    so its not a direct 100% proven line of arguments but a possibility that this mess came out of a mixture of PAO oil, NH3 and POE oil.
    refering to your last post:
    According to the info we got from the oil suppliers. a mixture of PAO and mineral is usually not a problem, not saying that **** might happen if the moon if full and the ref engineer was late for the church service.

Quote Originally Posted by heat&ref View Post
    Hi Sando,
    thanks a lot for your interest, I suppose you know how the nights are, when you are in this situation:

I tried to poste pictures, its realy unbelivable, but I dont know how to do it in this forum,
    the last info from "ilk", (institut für luft und Kältetechnik, the most experienced and cientific institute for HVAC in the german speaking area) is that the final product are amines, they are generated out of corbonaccit, which is generated by ester and NH3.
    so its not a direct 100% proven line of arguments but a possibility that this mess came out of a mixture of PAO oil, NH3 and POE oil.
    refering to your last post:
    According to the info we got from the oil suppliers. a mixture of PAO and mineral is usually not a problem, not saying that **** might happen if the moon if full and the ref engineer was late for the church service.
    Heat&ref, thanks for your reply.

About "not saying that **** might..." what you mean by ****?

About the oils suppliers saying that a mixture of PAO and mineral is usually not a problem...if they say so...

the web master seams to be very political correct the **** stand for another brown and slimy stuff... which happens

industrial1 Guest

Local Line Business unit that is used as a brand name for marketing, supplying and distribution of Potassium Chloride. Local Line holds exclusive distribution rights of Technical Potassium Chloride in the Arabian Gulf countries (GCC) , Middle East and North Africa from Belarusian Potash Company which is one of the world leading producers of Potassium Chloride.