dairyzach Guest

Jordan Vessel Company

Hi guys-
    First post here.
    I have a Jordan vessel and oil pot in my system. Going through some PSM stuff...and the oil pot doesn't have a National Board number on it! It's either rubbed off or worn off or was never there. I took over the refrigeration in November and the paperwork is a mess, I don't have any UNL forms (I think that's what they're called..) and I need OMs for most everything, and the P&IDs are totally wrong.
    I can't seem to find any information on the Jordan Vessel Company on the internet, did they go bye-bye? Does anyone have any contact information for them?
    Thanks!

Re: Jordan Vessel Company

Quote Originally Posted by dairyzach View Post
    Hi guys-
    First post here.
    I have a Jordan vessel and oil pot in my system. Going through some PSM stuff...and the oil pot doesn't have a National Board number on it! It's either rubbed off or worn off or was never there. I took over the refrigeration in November and the paperwork is a mess, I don't have any UNL forms (I think that's what they're called..) and I need OMs for most everything, and the P&IDs are totally wrong.
    I can't seem to find any information on the Jordan Vessel Company on the internet, did they go bye-bye? Does anyone have any contact information for them?
    Thanks!
    Hi Try here

http://www.williamscarver.com/products-refrig.html
    My wife used to say you never listen to a word I say at least I think that what she said

Jordan Vessel closed down about ten years ago. There is a whole lot more to the story but it really doesn't matter. You have a vessel without it's ASME namplate. Which means it probably no longer meets the legal code requirements for your area. It may not have been required to be a coded vessel (since we are talking about an oil pot). That is a ruling to be made by the state inspector.
    To get a replacement copy of a U-1 or U-1A report:
    You need the National Board Number (NB#)
    The manufacturer
    The manfacturer date
    Go to www.nationalboard.org
    Crupper Avenue :: Columbus, OH 43229 :: Phone: 614.888.8320
    With the above information you can order replacement copies of the required forms. You have to purchase them.

If you have a coded vessel and the nameplate has been defaced, the vessel will need to be recertified or replaced. To recertify a vessel is expensive, and I believe it has to be the original vessel manufacturer. An oil pot, you just replace it with a coded vessel.

As to your drawings being out of date, there are firms that create PSM programs, which include updating or creating drawings, PHA's, SOP's and all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by McFranklin View Post
    To get a replacement copy of a U-1 or U-1A report:
    You need the National Board Number (NB#)
    The manufacturer
    The manfacturer date

With the above information you can order replacement copies of the required forms. You have to purchase them.
    I've gone through this process and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.

If you have a coded vessel and the nameplate has been defaced, the vessel will need to be recertified or replaced. To recertify a vessel is expensive, and I believe it has to be the original vessel manufacturer. An oil pot, you just replace it with a coded vessel.
    I've had vessels recertified (for different process conditions) by someone other than the manufacturer. It's difficult to find someone to do it but it can be done. In the most recent case it was an E.L. Nickell vessel re-rated by RVS by filling out an R-2 "report of alteration".

As to your drawings being out of date, there are firms that create PSM programs, which include updating or creating drawings, PHA's, SOP's and all the rest.
    I think the most important thing is: Get someone you enjoy working with! You're going to have revisions of revised revisions going around and it may be a frustrating experience. Industrial refrigeration systems are complex beasts and the PSM programs we put on top of them are VERY complex. Don't expect an SOP or drawing revision to be perfect the first time, especially if you're describing the revisions over the phone or in an email. That's why getting someone who doesn't rub you the wrong way is important - you'll be interacting with them more than you initially think.

Early on (before I started doing SOPs and Drawings for myself and then other people) I dealt with some very difficult contractors whose work was less than ideal. I shouldn't have put up with them but they were the big engineering firm so it's easy to be intimidated. Looking back now, I think I owe them a big "thank you" because they made it necessary for me to learn how to do my own Drawings and SOPs.

dairyzach Guest

Thanks guys!