Hybrid View

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: What should engineer be checking?

This conversation makes me chuckle.

You ask a techie to come around on the cheap and complain because he takes readings using the correct equipment because you have taken readings yourself; sorry but infra red thermometers are no good for what you want.

Then because he doesn't give you the result you wanted or expected you start complaining about the price.

When you get your car serviced do you stand over the mechanic telling him he using the wrong spanner or the oil isn't the one you would use; but you pay the high garage charges without blinking. Or if your clients came and stood over your desk while you allocate staff would you approve. I don't think so.

You have never been happy with this equipment and installation or any of the techies that have been to site yet. The likelihood of your system working as you want seems highly improbable and finding a cheap super engineer is not going to happen either.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    This conversation makes me chuckle.

You ask a techie to come around on the cheap and complain because he takes readings using the correct equipment because you have taken readings yourself; sorry but infra red thermometers are no good for what you want.

Then because he doesn't give you the result you wanted or expected you start complaining about the price.

When you get your car serviced do you stand over the mechanic telling him he using the wrong spanner or the oil isn't the one you would use; but you pay the high garage charges without blinking. Or if your clients came and stood over your desk while you allocate staff would you approve. I don't think so.

You have never been happy with this equipment and installation or any of the techies that have been to site yet. The likelihood of your system working as you want seems highly improbable and finding a cheap super engineer is not going to happen either.
    He monitored temperatures using a thermometer probe that he pressed onto the liquid and gas lines. I used a infra red thermometer to do the same? WHy would infra red thermometers not do the same, it gave me the same results and conclusion?

He gave me the result I knew and expected so the reason I was enquiring about the price as rather than spending 2 hours to confirm the same problem I dont think he actually did anything to fix the problem and the issue could have been confirmed.

You use the anology of a car in a garage, if you had taken your car to have the brakes fixed on one of your wheels because it wasnt locking on properly yet 2 hours later they had carried out the same investigations as you but no fix was in place how would you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by back2space View Post

You use the anology of a car in a garage, if you had taken your car to have the brakes fixed on one of your wheels because it wasnt locking on properly yet 2 hours later they had carried out the same investigations as you but no fix was in place how would you feel?
    I do wonder why your techie didn't get on and move the unit to another port of the valve while he was there. Seems the obvious thing to do - he even suggested it himself. Another hour or so of labour would have been more palatable had he left the unit working as it should do. It's not like your unit is hard to reach and work on is it? It's ground level if I remember correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_WSM View Post
    I do wonder why your techie didn't get on and move the unit to another port of the valve while he was there. Seems the obvious thing to do - he even suggested it himself. Another hour or so of labour would have been more palatable had he left the unit working as it should do. It's not like your unit is hard to reach and work on is it? It's ground level if I remember correctly?
    Yep at ground level! I even went out to get him decafe tea as he didnt drink normal tea!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by back2space View Post
    Why would infra red thermometers not do the same, it gave me the same results and conclusion?
    IR Units
    http://www.allqa.com/IR.htm
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Interesting read Brian, thanks for the link.

Not sure if I am missing something though... you said that it is not a good idea to use infra red?

The engineer came to the same conclusion as me.

The site quotes:

"Monitoring Equipment

You can use your noncontact thermometer to check more than just the temperature of food. You can also evaluate the performance of your equipment and machinery.
    • Detect hot spots or leaks by taking sample spot readings of freezers, walk-in coolers, refrigeration lines, compressor motors, electrical, and HVAC equipment."

Hi there,

any good engineer would do his own diagnostic.
    He found the fault, tried to fix it and after this didn't work he gave you other options to fix it.
    Sounds reasonable to me!
    Swapping pipes and electrical to the free port shouldn't take too long, why didn't you get him to do it straight away? That would have saved some time, he wouldn't have to come back again.

Hey Richard, did you decide what to do about this? Going to bother getting it fixed before the Autumn/Winter cold sets in?