HTRefrig Guest

Ammonia Cooling Tower

I have recently run into a problem with a EvapCo 900 ton ammonia cooling tower. There is a lot of lime scale build-up on the lower tubes on the bundle. The system is running high head pressure than normal (obviously). The tower and tube bundles are galvanised. I really dont have any redundancy at the facility as far as shutting it down during these hot months. The company in charge of treating the tower water has not been doing their job, and they are now out of the loop as far as them fixing the situation.

I have seen descalers on the market that change colors when all scale is neutralized (24hrs or so), and then a quick water change after that will rinse. Anyone ever used any of these chemicals? Any other suggestions would help.
    Thanks

Re: Ammonia Cooling Tower

Quote Originally Posted by HTRefrig View Post
    I have recently run into a problem with a EvapCo 900 ton ammonia cooling tower. There is a lot of lime scale build-up on the lower tubes on the bundle. The system is running high head pressure than normal (obviously). The tower and tube bundles are galvanised. I really dont have any redundancy at the facility as far as shutting it down during these hot months. The company in charge of treating the tower water has not been doing their job, and they are now out of the loop as far as them fixing the situation.

I have seen descalers on the market that change colors when all scale is neutralized (24hrs or so), and then a quick water change after that will rinse. Anyone ever used any of these chemicals? Any other suggestions would help.
    Thanks
    Find good chemical company. They have some additives that gradually dissolve the scale. If you descale too fast, condenser can be damaged or scale can plug the nozzles.

scott14fillmore Guest

I am with GE Water and Process Technologies and would be glad to provide you with recommendations for cleaning the scale on line and for future prevention of the scale with proper chemical treatment program. Call me at 910-465-0897, GE Water. The process would be to identify the scale, provide recommendations for online cleaning, audit system to see why the scale is forming and provide final treatment recommendations to control scale. Once you are using GE Water, we would implement a monitoring program to do daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly checks on system to ensure protection of your assests.
    Thanks

Like Segei said bring in an expert. And it will take time to correct the problem. If you go after the problem too fast, some nice contractor will get to sell you a new pump and then a new condenser.
    Oh, and that 900 ton condenser is probably only able to operate at 630 tons.
    Sorry to be such a ray of sunshine.

I use GE water systems for two facilities in PA and am happy with the results. One of the facilities has an older R22 system that the scale is being removed from gradually due to the treatment.

When it comes to maintaining your cooling tower it is highly recommended that your cooling tower be cleaned at least once every two years. Please contact a cooling tower representative or professional to learn more about maintenance packages that are suitable for your cooling tower needs.

In our area, we have used "Inhibited Sulfamic Acid 3102". We let it circulate over night and flush the tower with clean water. It is design to be used on galvanize tube towers. As with any chem on towers, use it with caution. Ask water treatment companys in your area what their thoughts are on Sulfamic Acid 3102.
    Here is a link
    http://www.industrialcleaners.com/3102.htm
    Last edited by That's too cold; 17-11-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Scale on the lower tubes is actually easier to address than that on the upper tubes by "cracking" the condenser..That is turn it into an evaporator for a short period; at temperatures cold enough to freeze water..then spray with a garden hose the tube bundle. "Hard Frost" actually will crack most forms of scale as it builds...revert the thing to warm and shovel all kinds of stuff out of the drain section. There is a considerable report on doing this in one of the IIAR tech sessions from maybe 7 to 8 years back....But if you can't afford even a full day's shut down, or if you have nothing else available in terms of a condenser, its a little hard to arrange....