flooded ammonia system for the boat.

B”H

I would like to ask if someone has experience in design of flooded ammonia system for a boat. There is a constrain on the height. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Re: flooded ammonia system for the boat.

I see you have two problems, liquid carry over from you pot (as the boat moves around) so install baffle plates, have level control well below you suction take off, you could also install a smaller Knockout pot, just incase.
    Then this leads to your next problem, one presumes that you are doing pump recirc system (overfeed). with height restrictions, you could suffer from cavitation, so look at a double acting piston pump "Haskel" these are designed to handle liquid and vapour. Not used heavily in the refrig industry but heavily in the cryo industry.

I put one on a 135 foot power scow years ago. We had to put the piping in before the coils arrived, but we left a gap between the flanges for a sort section of pipe. I put the suction accumulators on deck. All worked out well.
    We went with water defrost.

B”H
    Mad fridgie and NH3LVR thank you so much for valuable advices. Client wants actually flooded system but I will try to change his mind for liquid overfeed, for the efficiency. Is Haskel a reliable ref. pump? Do you know anyone who does this kind design for a living? I cannot afford any mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
    B”H

Mad fridgie and NH3LVR thank you so much for valuable advices. Client wants actually flooded system but I will try to change his mind for liquid overfeed, for the efficiency. Is Haskel a reliable ref. pump? Do you know anyone who does this kind design for a living? I cannot afford any mistakes.
    Haskel I would contact them direct, see what they think of the application. (in other applications they are reliable) Most other pumps are reliable aslong as cavitation does not occur.
    Is this just a close coupled chiller, or full storage/production system. If chiller then no real problems, just mount the baffled pot over the evap (you only have to over come the pressure drop in the evap)
    If its a whole system then a lot of work is required to work out the total pressure drop, pipes, fittings, valves, evaps etc to work out how high the pot has to be, maybe you have to stick it on top of the wheel house!!!!!!
    I would thought there was plenty of expertise in your neck of the woods. (maybe work with one of the major players and clip the ticket on the way through)
    Reduce your risk