Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hall of shame.

Re: Hall of shame.

The second was when I was doing routine maintenance on another chamber & noticed that the liquid-line sight glass was bubbling. Must be low on gas thought I, so I started to fill with R502. The sight glass didn't clear, so I kept filling. Bearing in mind this was a bench-top chamber ten minutes passed before there was an almighty sound of escaping gas & the whole lab filled with oil vapour. My mentor later told me it had a blocked drier.
    One thing: watch both gauges while charging.

hey guys got one that tops the list
    one of our esteemed competitors in town decides to fit a new 5hp semi copeland unit but phones the supplier complaining that the sight glass is leaking oil, so the supplier thinks that its a fault with the unit and supplies a 2nd one, this one too springs aleak at the sight glass.
    supplier thinks that this is just too much off a coincdence and comes to town to check it out, he has alook at the installation and it looks ok, but true as nuts the sight glass is leaking oil!!!!!!!!!
    so he asks the guy what gas you charging and he points to a cylinder of helium and says 404 why????

Talking Re: Hall of shame.

Last edited by Toolman; 03-05-2006 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

One of are engineers switched off the condenser fans and left the comps running on a large pack so that he could build up the pressure in the condenser to check for a leak while stood on the liquid receiver. And listening for leaks the pressure relief valve pooped R404A missing him by inches. When it was reported to the Refrigeration Manager he failed to question why the HP control never cut the comps first. I think refrigeration Managers have a responsibility to question any risks by staff and equipment.All I find now is the same engineer now is sent on jobs when he can't find the fault blames the comp failed.I am then sent to change the comp to find the comp ok and the condencer blocked with dust or what ever simple fault it is.Leaving me to cover his ass or dob him in.I have now left.....

Here is short story told to me a long time ago by the Copeland manager for the local parts supply back home.

A long time refrigeration contractor came in and asked for a new hermetic compressor. The manager looked up the correct part, picked out the compressor and a new set of driers.

The contractor took the parts and went back to the job site. Three or four hours later my friend got a phone call from the contractor.

This is the conversation that took place.....

The &^%$%& compressor is not working right!

OK, what is the problem?

The compressor runs, but is not doing anything.

Is the suction valve open (a Rotolock valve)?

Yes!! But the suction pressure is not decreasing. Why did you give me a bad compressor???? This is costing me money and the customer is going to call you because you gave him a bad compressor. What are you going to do???

Nothing, but I'll tell you what to check.

OK, what should I do?

Take the suction valve off of the compressor and call me back.

Much cursing and shouting now happens and the contractor slams down the phone.

An hour later the phone rings again.

OK smart A*S, I took the valve off now what?

Look inside the threaded connection on the valve. What do you see?

End of conversation.........

OK guys are you ready for the answer?

You are going to love this.

A red plastic plug was still in the Rotolock valve body.

I love happy endings.

Have a short one ,walk-in-cooler has a leak (this is the company i work for) they send a guy out to it the guy finds the leak fixes the leak,he "blows out the unit" with some refrigerant while on the roof he decides to charge unit up,he looks around and about 4 other condensing units are on the roof,he looks on the name plate of 2 it says 404a so he figures this cooler must use 404a charges up unit blows high side gauge on manifold set ,turns unit off and tells boss that I would sort it the next day.
    Next day I get sent to unit, have to recover 404a gas,look on name plate unit uses R22,have to do the whole works get unit up and running and to end it all the boss gives the guy a pat on the back because he responded to the initial call in less than 20 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by rbartlett
    ... however using glue on a fridge system sounds strange but they said that about using glue in the manufacturer of cars at first..
    An Airbus is mostly glued, I've seen in my beginning yeras very good aluminium evaporators (tubes and fins) on transport cooling where the bends were glued in the pipes.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

I was once sent in Austria firstflightinthemorning to respond to an SOS by a fussy installer who was shouting in the phone to my boss that we were building ****ty chillers.
    This one chiller was going LP, so probably it was losing refrigerant or already lost all of it. Infact the LP gauge was zero.

You guessed it.

He forgot the suction line rotalock closed.

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman
    Here is short story told to me a long time ago by the Copeland manager for the local parts supply back home.

A long time refrigeration contractor came in and asked for a new hermetic compressor. The manager looked up the correct part, picked out the compressor and a new set of driers.

The contractor took the parts and went back to the job site. Three or four hours later my friend got a phone call from the contractor.

This is the conversation that took place.....

The &^%$%& compressor is not working right!

OK, what is the problem?

The compressor runs, but is not doing anything.

Is the suction valve open (a Rotolock valve)?

Yes!! But the suction pressure is not decreasing. Why did you give me a bad compressor???? This is costing me money and the customer is going to call you because you gave him a bad compressor. What are you going to do???

Nothing, but I'll tell you what to check.

OK, what should I do?

Take the suction valve off of the compressor and call me back.

Much cursing and shouting now happens and the contractor slams down the phone.

An hour later the phone rings again.

OK smart A*S, I took the valve off now what?

Look inside the threaded connection on the valve. What do you see?

End of conversation.........

OK guys are you ready for the answer?

You are going to love this.

A red plastic plug was still in the Rotolock valve body.

I love happy endings.

i done that before but luckily enough i found it out for myself

I may be new student but I know how to do quality work. Sadly it seems most don't, this one plant I just salvaged the guy hacked up an old gauge hose to attach the LP switch and used a cheap T to set it up in the system the best part? Finger tight!, I thought nothing was in there as it was so loose, so start taking it off and WOSH! tightened it up right fast!.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1
    An Airbus is mostly glued, I've seen in my beginning yeras very good aluminium evaporators (tubes and fins) on transport cooling where the bends were glued in the pipes.

About six years ago we built a Horisontal platefreezer for ***** and ammonia,the aluminum plates where built up from three plates glued together, and the end pieces were glued on too.

The plates held a pressure test of 30 bar without any problems.

We "borrowed" one of our customers plants and installed the freezer for trials.

I cant remember what kind of glue we used, but it was certified for use with *****, ammonia and refrigeration oil.

However.... it started melting when it came in contect with a *****/oil mixture... and it turned very brittle when it came in contact with an ammonia/oil mix

I had a sample that had been submerged in ammonia/oil for a week, put it in a vise, the two pieces separated from an ever so slight tap from a ball-pane hammer
    -Cheers-

Tycho

I think we should start a hall of fame, this thread is starting to give the wrong impression.

Lots of Details but no pictures :~( I will provide a few great pics

Hall Of Shame here we come

Two for me
    Walked onto a site it was a building with several tennancies over 100 all individually being cooled by Blaico water cooled units located in the ceiling. We had just taken over the contract the managing agent had gone through and asked the tennants if they had any probs with the a/c only one person was happy. To cut a long story short I ended up seeing every problem even some I didn't know exsisted.

Second walk into a building in town again we had just taken it over 15 stories. Best supply temp I could get was 16*c then the motors would trip out on overload went back over twenty years of records found every year that the bearings for the three motors had been changed every year (open drive).After much discussion with my boss they call in the big guns every one scratching their heads I'm in a corner with an engineer who had come out of retirement to look at the system when he turns to me and says that shell and tube is piped the wrong way.

Rangerdoc Guest

Thumbs down Re: Hall of shame.

My worst ever was ten years ago on a rooftop in Lebanon, Missouri, USA. This remote freezer was on the rooftop. Wire dangling... wire nuts everywhere. Every type of tape and wire you can imagine was holding this thing together.
    The clincher was: they converted from R-12 to r-405 or some blend, I can't remember. To deal with the excessively high head pressures due to the new refrigerant, they simply added another condenser and laid it on a wooden pallet next to the unit. The motor capacitors were just hanging out in the open air.
    I told the property owner that this was a disaster waiting to happen and took pictures to cover my a$$.

Long story short, the capacitor blew, the oil caught fire and dripped on the pallet. It caught on fire and ruptured a refrigerant line. The high pressure oil made a great blow torch and nearly burned the building down.

giddy Guest

I saw a spilt system tied to a building 20 floors up in taiwan last year.

Australian EPA has finally organized licenses for all qualified fridgys . This should get rid of some cowboys.

The pic below is the best one have seen . A picture speaks a thousand words .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toolman; 05-10-2006 at 01:37 AM. Reason: more pics

I went to a job once where the owner had got hold of a cold room and built it himself. He then conected the pipe joints together with softsolder. When he got intouch with me he could not understand why it would not work.

taz.

Hey fellows got myself a little prob.
    Was asked to quote for the installation of a ducted air conditioning system...customer has the unit,both the air handler and condensing units are YORK... They were never installed but has been sitting in his bond for the past 6 years..
    unfortunately the label with the specks on the condensing unit is unreadable, but air handler model number is LIEU36QAA.
    Could anyone say whats the Btu.

Most equipment has some reference to the duty in the label.

My guess with this one is 36000btu's

Ok so this one probably beats the lot, got called out to have a look at a job that was done at the local brewery, and getting there we had a look around, got told that they had just replaced a compressor in the main chiller and I decided to have a look, OMG this beats all of what was done!!!!!!!!!
    the semi was replaced with a sealed unit, but they "forgot" to bolt it down, the electrical box was stripped off the semi and "wired" to fit the sealed unit, but kinda left dangling in the air without the cover on, the "cowboy" didn't have a tube bender with him, so he gave the discharge pipe a really funky looking loop to the condenser inlet, but forgot to "move" his expertly wired harness, the connector block that he had fitted to "join" the wiring touched and melted away, exposing the wiring and you could well imagine POOF!!!!!!
    he's kinda upset about loosing 10kg's of R22, but then again we had so much flooding down here who the hell cares about global warming!!!!!!

OH well looks like I got a really great job coming up when he refuses to come back, customer says that he will continue calling this monkey back till he fixes the job correctly!!!

I WILL be taking photo's to share with you all!!!
    customer wants to remain anon though hahahahaha

I'll own up to one job I did many, many moons ago when we still used to blow condensers clean with 502 I was a young lad repairing an ice cream van that had a fractured capilary line. I reffited the capilary tube into the suction where it had snaped off, purged the system of air and charged it up till it frosted back. The I let out a little bit of gas to stop the liquid flooding the comp. For some reason though it would not work. It took very little gas and frosted back very easily. I had to have help to put it right.

Cheers taz.

Angry Re: Hall of shame.

This is true.
    Got called out to a dairy (NZ corner shop) to look at an upright milk cabinet that wasnt working. The fridge was full of milk bottles, so I put my guages on and saw it had no gas in the system at all.
    I added a bit of gas, and it leaked straight away. I asked the shop owner to empty the fridge as I suspect there was a broken pipe in the evap. We emptied the fridge, and saw the evap was missing !!! I asked the owner where the evap was, and he said "Oh do you mean this fan, I have taken it out to get more milk inside !!!!
    I left him with a call out fee, and a totaly unrepairable fridge,he had left it running, and there wasn't an LP switch fitted.
    I just love New Zealand shop owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Hello
    One of our guys took 8 hours to install an evaporator in a cold room!after 10 hours he rang t say it just wouldnt cool,i checked the system over and after scratching me head i found the problem,he had left the orifice out of the tev i found it laying in the drip tray! Bloody Kiwi,s
    Was this in NZ or in the Uk ? Living here for 21 years, I come across so called fridgies all the time. Most are good, but some !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Hello
    One of our guys took 8 hours to install an evaporator in a cold room!after 10 hours he rang t say it just wouldnt cool,i checked the system over and after scratching me head i found the problem,he had left the orifice out of the tev i found it laying in the drip tray! Bloody Kiwi,s
    I see your in Queenstown, nice one. Im in sunny Auckland.

well,they say the mother of idiots is always pregnant.......A friend of mine who works for Daikin after having told an installer he had to pressure test at 38 bars the VRV system,received a call from the installer:
    -Hi,remember you told me about the pressure at 38 bars?
    -yes
    -well,i filled the system but how do you make water go at 38 bars??

This idiot flooded everything,pipes and internal units,can you imagine the damage??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by andre_fridge View Post
    Ok so this one probably beats the lot, got called out to have a look at a job that was done at the local brewery, and getting there we had a look around, got told that they had just replaced a compressor in the main chiller and I decided to have a look, OMG this beats all of what was done!!!!!!!!!
    the semi was replaced with a sealed unit, but they "forgot" to bolt it down, the electrical box was stripped off the semi and "wired" to fit the sealed unit, but kinda left dangling in the air without the cover on, the "cowboy" didn't have a tube bender with him, so he gave the discharge pipe a really funky looking loop to the condenser inlet, but forgot to "move" his expertly wired harness, the connector block that he had fitted to "join" the wiring touched and melted away, exposing the wiring and you could well imagine POOF!!!!!!
    he's kinda upset about loosing 10kg's of R22, but then again we had so much flooding down here who the hell cares about global warming!!!!!!

OH well looks like I got a really great job coming up when he refuses to come back, customer says that he will continue calling this monkey back till he fixes the job correctly!!!

I WILL be taking photo's to share with you all!!!
    customer wants to remain anon though hahahahaha

Waiting for your pics Andre

A friend of my dads took a picture of small unit on a farm in se england.this unit comprised of a 12.5hp compressor,a 1/2 inch filter drier, a nice and tidy condensor and an R22 EMPTY GAS CYLINDER AS A RECIEVER.someone had even drilled the holes and soldered the pipes into it.I will get the photo coz it looks the biz and i wish i was that inventive.

Angry Re: Hall of shame.

if anyone would like to pressure test a system with oxygen i would like to see pictures of the outcomee.hehe.

I know someone who in the 70s blew a condeser clean with propane and then blew the shop windows out when he lit his leak lamp.

Cheers taz.

The same guy whilst carrying a unit across the joists of an attic fell through the joists and was only saved by his large girth.

Cheers taz.

Maybe as a spin off to this thread you could add the best excuses you have come up with after making.... operational whoopsies?

Surely the most popular one is blaming it on the previous engineer, who happens to be your largest competitor?

Many years ago I went to commission a new AC system serving a restaurant. Day was very hot. I was told system had a holding charge of R22.

Started comp and suction just dropped, added more gas - no change.

Check system found liquid line from condenser connected to the reciver connection marked ontlet !!!!!! (Both connections on top of LR shell - outlet being fitted with a dip pipe). lliquid from receiver comming from top of receiver shell.

Only option, as managed of resturant getting most upset, but to blow off complete charge. Approx 80 lbs. R22. (Global warming had'nt been invented in those days)

This affected the sensor for the AC system and turned on FULL HEATING. Restaurant manager even more unhappy!!!!

Latter when mentioning problem to the installing ENGINEER ???????? he said he did not know that one of the receiver connections had a dip tube and his arrangement looked better.

Happy days

Mick

Hi all new to this but laughing a lot all the same.

Went to look at an existing R22 rooftop package A/C unit that the encumbant engineers had been unable to determine the problem. They said that it was sort of working as there was a TD across the compressor but that there didn't appear to be any action on the indoor section.

We had a look over the unit and there are two 25kW circuits. After a brief check we found that there was a blockage across one of the TX valves. We suggested reclaiming the system and checking it out.

This is what we found...

I think they need to work on their maintenance regimes a little more.

Cheers Mike

Did anyone read the article in H & V News this week about fixing AC condensing units?

Don't want to blame the Tech but he should have questioned the installation.
    Contracted out a ducted central, unit is 60,000 btu but won't cool. I check subcooling and determine unit is undercharged so I evacuate and recharge by weight.
    Suction is so high I decide compressor must have a broken suction valve. I arrange for a new compressor and pull the old one.
    This is Great!
    Result: The 1 1/8" (27 mm) suction port on this sealed compressor was dented in leaving aprox. a 3/8" (10 mm) opening, but the factory brazing machine sealed the lip of the 1 1/8" (27mm) copper tube below the dent so you couldn't see it.
    I used the new compressor and sent the original back to the factory

I had one when i was an apprentice. The company we were working for had employed there own "engineer" but we were called out whilst this guy was on holiday. Being a few years ago when R502 was being phased out he had decided to run this blast freezer on R22, which would have been fine except that his retrofitting skills only ran as far as letting out the R502 and charging with R22, he did'nt even change the TEV's. By the time we got there the poor 25hp Sabroe had holes you could put your finger through in the pistons.

Simon

Whats wrong with these pictures?

First picture, the tear in the trouser, second one , you can't use a suction accumulator as an additional receiver.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hi, Peter_1

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1 View Post
    First picture, the tear in the trouser, second one , you can't use a suction accumulator as an additional receiver.
    Seems he can

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Lol
    Drier and suction line accumulator should be blue to match the unit
    Is that a L'unite lecky box on a Maneurop?

Jon

lol ghetto receiver! why that when they all ready have one? lol thats just sad! Poor plant!!

Talking of blaming the previous engineer (taboo) I once spent about half a day trying to find a leak that had all but emptied the system, this was a chill cabinet with a remote condenser on R12. Eventually gave up under pressure to get it going from both client and boss, recharged it and left it working ok. Got much grief from boss over not finding leak, young lads, not a proper engineer yet then etc, etc.
    Then some time later whilst chatting to some of the older lads in the cafe one of them owns up to being out of gas at the time and robbed the chill cab to recharge the freezer coldroom on the same site, swine near split his sides laughing. No names mentioned but if you are reading this well done at reaching retirement age!

First picture, the tear in the trouser,
    Saving on uniforms you have to get the most out of them.

second one , you can't use a suction accumulator as an additional receiver.
    Quite correct.
    I quoted on this installation some time ago but it appears we were to expensive.

The unit is a walk in freezer and the condensing unit is located above.We have had a quite a bit of hot weather and the ambient above the room was nearly unbearable.

Unit has been short cycling on HP control and potential relay failed.This unit will soon be outside minus suction line accumulator (on the liquid line). The oil seperator and the real accumulator will be bolted to the unit instead of floating in mid air.

I happened to pass by the place when it was being installed and asked the installer why there was an accumulator in the liquid line. He tells me that it is a liquid line accumulator. I tell him that that was a new one to me. He tells me that the wholesalers told him to install it.I then walk away wondering how long it will last.
    Well it lasted about a year.

At least he got the flow direction correct .Although it probably would have been better in reverse.

The unit is an "Aussie blue star" which is Australian for "Manurop".
    Electrical box is original.

In a suction accumulator, both tubes inside it are going to the top of it (besides the small hole at the bottom for oil return), so it must first completely be filled to the top before it starts to flow.
    So it can't work in my opinion.

Hi chaps, I'm quite new here, does anyone have the generic fault codes for Hitachi splits?

See it, posted it in the wrong section, nobody will notice it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Hi chaps, I'm quite new here, does anyone have the generic fault codes for Hitachi splits?
    Use the Search facility. They have been posted in the past.

In a suction accumulator, both tubes inside it are going to the top of it (besides the small hole at the bottom for oil return), so it must first completely be filled to the top before it starts to flow.
    So it can't work in my opinion.

Yeah, but I still miss the reason why they required one extra liquid receiver. I see one already. Or isn't it?

NoNickName, we have sometimes the same troubles with the market trucks: long lines where the receiver has sometimes not enough volume to store all the liquid when we pump down the system.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast