Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hall of shame.

Blog Entries

Re: Hall of shame.

Both welds are way overheated!
    Pipes should be cut to point where not overheated and replaced with new portion and welded with silver alloy(30% Ag)!
    Also, that expanded part of joint is badly done and capillary action there is not existent. That is point where you could expect new leak soon if it is not replaced.

Looks like they did it with mapp gas hand torch

Yes it not good, the flared tube is Daikins idea for retaining a strainer, not the greatest idea for field service, however the brazing is very unexceptable so much heat - so you can just imagine the scale on the inside of the pipework - a longer term killer. The local trade schools have a lot answer for. I have no idea why they persisted when clearly the job had gone to the dogs before they got ot end, they should have asked for help. Unfortunety it reminds me of another tech different service industry - people used call em "$ex fingers" until oneday I finally understood that every thing the tech touched was ...... you get the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ausmartin1 View Post
    ....so you can just imagine the scale on the inside of the pipework - a longer term killer...
    If you have scale inside after soldering, then you've done something wrong.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

New valves are now soldered in ok, but the other damage is still evident, opinions please about the other pipework damage and potential scale problems - or do the daikins mulisplit horizontal scrolls have any tolerance to scale flaking off longer term.
    Cheers all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh yes agreed. Grey epoxy is metal paste(probably aluminium+smthin othr). I used it lot of time to fix evaporater leakage.its name is 'metal set'. There z metal paste and hardner drops.and its 100 percent successful solution for small evaporater leakages.nowdays a big refrigerator company(named 'godrej') in india provides this thing as its genuine spare parts under 'godrej' brand.

Hi all long time reader first time poster

When i first started my apprentiship i tried to teach myself the basics by tinkering with domestic refrigerators in my spare time, anyway i had a small fridge which had no gas in it so i put some nitrogen in to pressure test and got to work with the bubble leak detector.
    After checking every place i could think of i couldnt find the leak and i noticed that the pressure had dropped slightly
    so, with my limited knowledge of practical skills, i cranked the pressure up to 300psi! in the hope that i could hear the leak.

couldn't hear anything around the compressor so i stuck my head next to the cooling plate and heard a cracking noise, squirted everything with bubbles, no leaks! whats going on?!

took my head out of the fridge and stood back to see the exterior panels of the fridge were bulging out!
    you guessed it, the leak was on a pipe inside the panels

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Uk_Trainee View Post
    probably shouldn't admit this but...

at college the other week i was practising recovering refrigerant and charging the system. i got there and without thinking emptied the gas into the bottle that was already rigged up to the recovery unit, sat by the system.

when the gauges started to freeze over it was pretty obvious id messed up. i shouted my tutor over and he nearly had a bloody heart attack, turned out the bottle i was using was R22, and that the system had been running on R401A. according to my tutor i'd caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage, and now i'm not allowed to touch refrigerant unless under constant supervision, what a jip

...beat that!
    Well, here goes,
    Mnay years ago I worked on British Rail as a diesel fitter on the loco`s. Part of my job involved going out to standby generators that acted as a back up for the signals on the east coast main line.
    On one visit I had to replace a cooling hose. After cutting off the old one I tried to fit the new one only to find I`d picked up a hydraulic one by mistake that in no way would fit over the hose fitting. Realising the genny could not be left off till a new hose was found I cut of the barb on the fitting so the hose would slide on.
    Hose clips tightened, coolant refilled and engine started and tested. I went home feeling all`s well with the world
    A few days later the power failed and the genny kicked in only to blow the hose off with the result that the engine failed along with the entire signal system from Kings Cross to Peterborough.
    They never did find out why the hose had come off as I had to make out the failure report. Phew!!!

Now, where`s the next genny to repair

Hi.
    I saw many instalation but I have funny evening when I saw pictures in thiss hall.
    pict1: York unit. in summer time you have free shower. in winter time you have wonderfull view. In few places in Warsaw. pict 2: counter with new elements. pict 3: coldroom. the doors opened to inside of coldroom. pict 4: well, they have not money this year, maybe next year.
    picasaweb.google.com/gesi74/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCOnX49ym2MXKmwE&pli=1#5320805370907457154

Glenn............lol........it's so funny!!!

many moons ago when i was working on a refrigeration unit on a truck a guy asked if i could look at his unit he was not sure if there was anything wrong with it but just needed reassurance as it was a 5 minute walk away i did ,i have to add this guy had a italian accent,got to the unit he asked if the [teddington] dial thermometer would read a +temperature if the cargo area got to cold ,it was reading +40degrees c i asked what was in the back ,a pallet of ice lollys . not now i said apallet of lolly sticks, we opened the door yep lolly sticks and cardboard it had stuck on heat made me laugh

The gas bottle without valve guard reminds me of Laos. I have yet to find a valve protector over here - scary...

Question:
    How would you be able to know for certain what the contents of a gas bottle is e.g. N2, or O2, if you don't trust the sprayed writing on the outside? Could even be the wrong valves for all one knows.

I literally go through my prayer list every time I use a new bottle of OFN to purge a system - in case is perchance is O2!!!

Polaris Guest

Just look at this photos..
    No comment needed..

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Just look at this photos..
    No comment needed..

I agree: it's a shame the garden is not being trimmed.

Welcome to RE, now thats what I call an entrance

Chris E G Guest

A favourite of mine was when a new "experienced" tech rang to abuse me about supplying faulty equipment. We had given him a tx valve that had not been manufactured properly. His complaint was that the valve (a danfoss that I rarely have any problems with) had not been manufactured with all the flares in place! Was not sure if I should tell him to put the orifice in, or to start washing our work utes....

Having explained to my customer that the most likely reason for the fridge not running was, a shortage of refrigerant, I proceeded to look for a leak ! some 30 seconds later my customer came rushing back in to the sound of me pissing myself laughing. I found that the suction service port on the small can, still had the rubber plug in it or rather, used to. The give away sign was the oil up the wall and ceiling, leading from the port. What really astounded me was when she explained the unit had been running satisfactorily for years. And only faulted due to being located in the sun and turned off at night , pressure temprature relationships go figure !

Those pics are genius why dont we all install our units like that?????

Quote Originally Posted by HallsEngineer View Post

Well we would be out of work real soon

Besides that it looks more like an artwork than a decent install.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HallsEngineer View Post
    Because your customers pays about ten times more than his.

Polaris Guest

Yes my neighbour friend..it is true..
    Is it correct that the price for installation of split tipe AC in Croatia is about 150 euros?
    For the same job in Serbia you can`t get more than 65!
    Shame for us!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Yes my neighbour friend..it is true..
    Is it correct that the price for installation of split tipe AC in Croatia is about 150 euros?
    Yes!......
    And there are many, many "cowboys" who do it like on that pictures for almost same amount of money (120-130€), no bill, no tax payed.
    Take money and run philosophy. And they have their customers (many) .
    Last edited by nike123; 21-05-2009 at 04:47 PM.

excellent pics.

hi i used to run a hall of shame section on my lg web site but now im no longer with them i better give you the new link.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/proper...eat=directlink

or search for propernasty on google web albums

if you have any more please send them to me by email propernasty@gmail.com and i will stick em up for all to see.

good luck

hendrag
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 18-06-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Tidy up link

How about this ,a company in south wales i was working for had a new service eng his first job was re gas a car ac he then called back saying job could not be done as car was packed on hill!!!!!!!!his next job was a high temp cold room ,after 3 days still there eng sent down to see what he up to.He had changed comp,evp val and changed the gas.He was working on wrong unit!!!! he got the sack on the spot

hi new kid here. just having a read through/laugh at this thread and noticed that these pics hadnt popped up. apparently a russian air con install. i love how there is a couple of splits up already too.
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (91.5 KB, 276 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (97.4 KB, 374 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (59.7 KB, 279 views)

oh and here is the link to the other 3 pics.

Quote Originally Posted by cooltools View Post
    How about this ,a company in south wales i was working for had a new service eng his first job was re gas a car ac he then called back saying job could not be done as car was packed on hill!!!!!!!!his next job was a high temp cold room ,after 3 days still there eng sent down to see what he up to.He had changed comp,evp val and changed the gas.He was working on wrong unit!!!! he got the sack on the spot

I think that's a bit unfair- thats a lot of work for one man to complete in only 3 days!

I have today been out to the worst installation I have seen in my 31 years in the fridge trade.

A Manchester company installed second hand equipment on a coldroom which they built out of odd panels, the cataloge of errors is as follows:

Outside pipework at high level not supported.
    Electrical joint not weatherproof.
    No lid to condensing unit housing.
    Unit not screwed down (on brackets at high level)
    Mains lead into unit not weatherproof and protected by an house brick.
    Electrical isolator on unit not used.
    Pressure switches not connected electrically or mechanically.
    Drier wrong way round.
    Brazing of poor standard and lost gas charge after 3 days.
    R134a compressor fitted, R404a expansion valve.
    Evaporator sized to room but not compressor.
    Main power switch above cold room wired so neon on even when switch is off.
    Water pipe insulation fitted to pipes.
    E2 probe fault, no probe even present.
    Floor plates loose and will trap water and fallen food stuffs as not sealed.
    Equaliser line on tev valve blanked off.
    Tev bulb incorrectly fitted.
    No cable grommets used for cable entries.
    No end panels to evaporator.
    Pipework bent by hand and kinked badly.
    Earth wires on t & e not sleeved.
    Time clock and mechanical stat left loose above coldroom in a mess of cables.
    Elliwell controller fitted to front of box as a display only but no evap probe fitted so displaying E2 probe fault.

I have pictures to prove!

that is shockenly bad. no way a fridge company could leave something that bad?

i take it thats 4 isolators for 5 units
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

looking really chuffed with the install..... just dont trip on the power cable draped across mid-air

*snort* I love this thread,

Eddie frigoserv Guest

I haven't laughed this hard since a friend told me he bought a window AC and installed it on its side because that was the only way it would fit... it ran for an hour. Great pictures!! Classic!

what about lp & hp swithches? no wiring present, or prehaps they're them new telepathic type? how do you know it's 2nd hand...??? lol

Comfort Inn Harrow

Not the worst by any means but a typical 'self instal'

didnt know you blokes got boat people
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

I take all these as industrial fxxk ups and had good laugh. This was what I experienced: Few years back I sold a LT condensing unit and a unit cooler to a contractor who normally install small A/C units. Few days later he called me and told me the system was not functioning. I went to site and did not know to laugh or cry. Yes.... What you're thinking is right. He assumed this would work just like 1hp A/C units, 2 CU pipe, power supply and it'll function. No TXV, filter drier, pressure switches etc were installed. Thank god nothing was damage.

went to a yacht the other week. has an isotherm brand name hold over plate. and a danfoss 12 volt compressor. yacht owner said she has had the yacht one year and the fridge has never worked well.

it took us a while to locate the compressor which was hot enough to fry an egg on. and came to realise the condenser had not been installed... yes you read correctly no condenser.... the mongrel who put in the system had just brazed the compressor discharge straight into the capillary. that supplied the evap hold over plate.

I would love to know how he got hold of the gas..

Heres a couple of my favs. There must a be tech in the area that believes that externally equalized TXV redily convert to internally equalized. The second pic was no doubt the cheapest quote accepted.

Something similar
    Bulb is cut off, outlet TEV is shut off brazed
    This was on the stand of a well known manufacturer on a big fare in Brussels to show their new products.
    Last edited by Peter_1; 25-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Was it An irish pub in Brisbane?

I used to be the Refrigeration manager/engineer for a fridge company that installed bulk milk tanks.
    C****T,some of the installations were amazing,and how the herdsman never got zapped....,

Quote Originally Posted by ardent View Post
    I used to be the Refrigeration manager/engineer for a fridge company that installed bulk milk tanks.
    C****T,some of the installations were amazing,and how the herdsman never got zapped....,
    A zap helps to keep them awake at 4am

I was called to a walk in freezer owned by a deer velvet farmer, he had two different companies attempt to fix his freezer which wouldn't get below -9 degrees C, both companies thought it was short of gas so both put more gas in, when I got there the relief valve on the receiver was weeping liquid out and the compressor was short cycling on an auto reset HP switch, both companies told him it was natural for the compressor to cycle like that, looking at the electrical panel the fault was immediately apparent, the defrost element contactor had seized closed and was constantly running the elements even while refrigerating. I believe the two other guys had come to their conclusions even before they got to site. I believe the moral is not to assume anything and prove whats right first, not whats wrong.

Experienced technical hands even switched suction & discharge lines & complained compressor is behaving crazy, suction line hot & discharge line cold

they concluded :
    1) that i have installed pistons wrongly whereby this happened

2) claimed they have 10 years hands on system like this & most likely compressor is running in anti-clockwise direction has resulted this.

Unwilling to listen reasoning & missing out simple reference to the operating manual to identify discharge & suction valve ports.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.KORANNE View Post
    Experienced technical hands even switched suction & discharge lines & complained compressor is behaving crazy, suction line hot & discharge line cold

they concluded :
    1) that i have installed pistons wrongly whereby this happened

2) claimed they have 10 years hands on system like this & most likely compressor is running in anti-clockwise direction has resulted this.

Unwilling to listen reasoning & missing out simple reference to the operating manual to identify discharge & suction valve ports.
    Nothing new here, I see that every day, especially with some older refrigeration service engineers known here as "reputable". Some are like "Geese in the fog".

This is happening when the split is not mounted good I see this ac when I drive through the city

I started at a place last monday were they used a old compressor as a vac pump used a line tap to charge r600 had no way to pressure test a system , they also operated out of a unmarked unit and paid everyone cash in hand , obviously i walked out , I did try explaining that it was dangerous to charge fridges that was but they could not care less , oh I was also given a 12v dc fan motor and was expected to use it to replace a 18 w 240 fan motor , all these fridges are domestics and would have ended up in someones house I am going to have to report them to the relevant authorities as what are doing will probably end up killing someone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast