Ammonia Valve Tags

I am looking at installing valve tags on 2 existing system at the same location. I thought it would be a good idea to use two different colors to help differentiate what valve belongs to each system.

Is there a IIAR bulletin or ASHRAE guide on what are the acceptable colors for valve tags?

Thanks

Dan Acosta

Re: Ammonia Valve Tags

Dan,

I'm not aware of any IIAR or ASHRAE standards that apply to coloring of the valve tags. I'll look deeper into that though. However, what works for me is to use a stainless steel round tag and engrave the valve number. Painted on numbers tend to fade or erode especially on roofs. In addition using a phenolic tag for valve position during normal state is handy especially when training. Red for normally closed, green for normally open, and yellow for flow adjusting such as a hand expansion/metering valve.

My personal preference is to color code the refrigerant piping (paint on steel and colored pvc jacketing on insulated lines). That is, if the budget allows.

Re: Ammonia Valve Tags

A yellow background with black letters what most of the suppliers sell as a standard ammonia tag.
    I have never seen two styles used as you describe. I would recommend using your pipe markers to distinguish the different systems.