Freeze Spray -- Venting R134a Illegal?

Hi,

So since it is illegal to vent R134a, why are there commercially avaliable freeze sprays made by CRC and Loctite that are basically R134a in a can,
    made to be sprayed. I'm wondering is there some sort of loophole around the law that they get around with that makes freeze sprays ok to sell
    and use?

Thanks.

I couldn't find the exact section of the clean air act that prohibits venting R134a, on this FAQ :

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html#q2

That says that Section 608 of the clean air act prohibits venting of R134a to the Atmosphere.
    So my Question is, why are freeze sprays like "freeze and release) commercially avaliable, which are R134A.

I thought that you needed a license to buy R134A as well, however as we see it's commercially avaliable in freeze sprays
    that anybody can buy.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Freeze Spray -- Venting R134a Illegal?

Different "trade" I believe, medical inhalers also used to use the same stuff, not sure about now.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

EPA 608 covers "refrigerants" specifically. Freeze and Release and other similar products (which I have not found to work very well anyway) are using R-134 for another use so they are not governed. Call it a loophole. It is only a matter of time before this use is prohibited. Likewise, brake cleaner was until recently R-113 and worked great as a flush for AC piping, but that has been reformulated (loophole closed) and I can't use it that way any more. In the US, anyone can buy 12 oz cans of R134 at auto supply stores.

Thanks,

I'm wondering why the "Freeze and release" and such products from loctite and CRC don't work well, I too have noticed they really dont make things cold at all really, even though they do have R134a listed on the Material Sheet, I thought R134a had the ability to give you frostbites...

But how come freeze and release really doesn't get things that cold to create visible frost even though it has R134a in it? Says it can bring surfaces down to -40 Celcius but from my experience that's a fallacy.

Thanks.

I agree 134 a or R134a or hfc 134 a is the global warming potential gas we are told to recognize but they (industry) charge aerosols with HFA134A so there must be less environmental impact

Correct me if I am wrong but its the Fluorocarbon (fc) that does th damage

With regard to medical use it is R134a in the ventolin inhalers, and from what I remember from the F-gas wording this discharge of small quantities of R134a is allowed.

that air duster stuff is the same from climate im sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBoy View Post
    that air duster stuff is the same from climate im sure!!!
    It certainly is i got charged 11quid for some the other day and the bloke in climate center told me the price had gone up because of the increase in price of 134a

thats a joke!!

More R134a in the propellers for toy guns shooting BB 6m pellets. Free selling in cans up to 1 Kg.
    Car AC fitters and repair shops can buy it for a fraction of the price of the refrigerant they get from their wholesalers.

Quote Originally Posted by Z2TT View Post
    Thanks,

I'm wondering why the "Freeze and release" and such products from loctite and CRC don't work well, I too have noticed they really dont make things cold at all really, even though they do have R134a listed on the Material Sheet, I thought R134a had the ability to give you frostbites...

But how come freeze and release really doesn't get things that cold to create visible frost even though it has R134a in it? Says it can bring surfaces down to -40 Celcius but from my experience that's a fallacy.

Thanks.
    I tried it once, your right it doesn't work at all. Waste of time.