Thread: chilergy

oscar Guest

chilergy

Hello Chaps

New to forum and has anyone had any experiences with chilergy units (variable speed drives) fitted to compressor units

Good or bad remarks welcomed

Thanks for your replies in advance

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: chilergy

If you had done a search on the forum you would have found that this has been discussed before and the results are poor.

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...light=chilergy

I don't think that it has anything to do with variable speed drives, they don't say so.

It is a device to chop the peak power waves on the mains to reduce the energy charges which look at peak demand, I think.

Have something similar used in a school. Fine for the lighting but blew out three boiler burners costing thousands.

Unit has now been reconnected and separate power supplies brought in for the burners.

Read the other thread and go from there.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

oscar Guest

Thanks Bri

New to forums in general!!!

The units have taken 8-10 evap motors out and also the equipment they are fitted to is varies from 6-12 years old. The post i have looked at would suggest that at this point still with the jury?

i.e no one knows much about it

An interesting read and the website seems very vague. No idea what the cost is but given the new wave of pure energy saving motors i can't seem to see the need for this. But then i'm not on the front line so i imagine you engineers have a greater perspective than me on the subject.

Slightly going off topic would you agree that the whole "engery saving" and "being green" movement has started to gather pace?
    www.elco-motors.co.uk

leckymotor man Guest

hi all,
    i am an electric motor engineer/ Electrician of 20y, and also new to forums!!
    i have fitted the single phase version of chilergy on to a refrig unit at a shop in Gloucester.
    Current wise the unit was pulling 9a after fitted unit 6a. So it looks good so far......
    i dont know how these things work but i assume they are trimming the re-active power of the motor.
    ie: when the motor is not fully loaded the rotating magnetic field in the windings needs not be as strong thus reducing power consumed.
    As for VSD`s, these (1ph) units units are v small and i would think that they are not.
    Not fitted any 3ph yet.

very interesting forum

cheers
    Rich