Ice wont freeze in ice maker

Hi,
    A short while ago I noticed that the ice cubes in my Daewoo FRSU20DAI side by side fridge freezer were beginning to melt and sticking together. I emptied out the box and dried it out, but since then it has not produced ice. I have also noticed the heater on the tube that dispences water into the tray is constantly hot which is defrosting the ice cube tray also. I've checked everything else and it seems to be fine apart from this.
    Has anyone any suggestions.

Re: Ice wont freeze in ice maker

Had another look again and found the following:-
    After appliance was powered down for 8 hrs and switch back on the following happens;
    1. Delayed start about 5mins.
    2. Compressor starts up.
    3. Freezer starts to cool down.
    4. After a further 5mins or so the freezer fan comes on and cabinet starts to cool down and water in ice cube tray begins freezing.
    5. After 30 mins or so the freezer fan cuts off but compressor carries on and doesn't stop.
    6. Ice tray begins to defrost along with anything placed on top shelf.
    7. After 12hrs or more compressor still running but fan still not operating.

I ready somewhere that it could be the defrost sensor as they were having the same problem and this seemed to cure it once it was replaced.

Cheers

Does this have a fan on the condenser also? and is it working at the same time as the compressor? Or is the condenser dirty?

I don't work on these but have seen similar symptoms with faulty condenser fans raising the evaporating temperature.
    Just guessing really

Jon

Yes there is a fan on the compressor and it is operating. I've also cleaned it out but doesn't make a difference. There seems to be a constant film of ice on the back panel but appliance is supposed to be frost free. It seems to work normally until it reaches freezing point then fan stops working and compressor stays on constantly.

When the fan stops working, I'd be testing to see if power was still available to the motor

Quote Originally Posted by saradog12 View Post
    Had another look again and found the following:-
    After appliance was powered down for 8 hrs and switch back on the following happens;
    1. Delayed start about 5mins.
    2. Compressor starts up.
    3. Freezer starts to cool down.
    4. After a further 5mins or so the freezer fan comes on and cabinet starts to cool down and water in ice cube tray begins freezing.
    5. After 30 mins or so the freezer fan cuts off but compressor carries on and doesn't stop.
    6. Ice tray begins to defrost along with anything placed on top shelf.
    7. After 12hrs or more compressor still running but fan still not operating.

I ready somewhere that it could be the defrost sensor as they were having the same problem and this seemed to cure it once it was replaced.

Cheers
    You either have a Defective fan motor or fan relay. Remove rear panel in inside and check voltage to fan. Let me know what you find.

sinoceanchina Guest

Dear sir,

It may be water curtain stuck open.

By the way, I am an ice machine sales girl, if you need some units in future, pls write to me at lisa.zhu@sinocean.com.cn.

Thank you.

Lisa zhu from China

I've already checked the fan for a voltage across terminals. When appliance is first switched on this was found to be 13V and fan operating and this was maintained for a while, 30mins or so, and then 0V when it cuts off.
    The problem seems to be when the sensor detects that it has reach the preset temp of -19c it cuts the fan off and this should trigger the defrost cycle. Due to the constant build up of frost on back panel of fridge it doesn't seem to be defrosting and hence the reason the condenser is on all the time.

Defrost control board. I have tried to reply but the site will not allow me to send the links. Mabe Later

Behind control panel inside the fresh food compartment the board turns fans on and off along with compressor and defrost heater. I have tried to send you hyperlinks but I must have made 15 post.Sorry until then.

I run a Forum in the USA and have found it very difficult to assist people in the UK. Not because of not having answers but by not being able to find the parts, service manuals and a supplier of parts. Once I make 15 post I will have a little better flexability here. The suppliers try to keep the answers silent to force a service call.

dear sd12,
    In my opinion your ice sensor is faulty !

rgds,

Hi Guys back again, have been away.
    I emptied the fridge freezer before going away and left it off. On my return I switched it on and everything worked fine. The compressor etc came on and both fans were on. After a couple of hours the ice began to freeze in the tray and everything looked good. I checked it again after several hours and found that the ice had melted and the back of the freezer was beginning to ice up and has been the same for a few days now. Does this help with the diagnosis?

bewlers Guest

I had a similar problem - turned out to be a faulty fan (running, but not at full speed so difficult to detect). Replaced it for £40 inc P&P and the effect was immediate - no problems since. You can download the service manual here:

www dot daewoo dot cl/sta-info/manuals/refrig/FRS-U20BCI_U21GAI.pdf (can't post linked URLs yet - just replace 'dot' with .)

There is a freezer fault finding flow chart near the end. Good luck!

it is seems to me that the harvest senser is sending wrong comand to harvest cycle .