andylk47 Guest

Air Sourced Heat Pumps that provide Hot & Cold Air Conditinmer and Hot Water

Hi,

I'm in Sydney Australia and looking for the most cost effective method of heating and cooling my house AND providing hot water. With a temperature range of approx 5C ~ 35C it would seem that an ASHP is the best option when taking into consideration unit cost, installlation and running costs. My knowledge is limited but it would seem that there is such a thing as an ASHP that can heat air, and hot water but I'm not sure about cooling air. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Re: Air Sourced Heat Pumps that provide Hot & Cold Air Conditinmer and Hot Water

Try the Daikin Altherma unit with a Rotex thermal store, that will give you space heating, space cooling and hot water with the heat pump and solar.

andylk47 Guest

Re: Air Sourced Heat Pumps that provide Hot & Cold Air Conditinmer and Hot Water

Thanks Brunstar, I'm googling Daikin Altherma to find out what they are and right size to work in a 150sqm home. Could I use my existing HSW tank for storage of the Hot Water (imagine I could just connect up the hot water from the ASHP into the cold water inlet of the existing tank?
    Any particular reason you suggested the Daikin over other brands on the market? Who are teh competition?

Quote Originally Posted by andylk47 View Post
    Thanks Brunstar, I'm googling Daikin Altherma to find out what they are and right size to work in a 150sqm home. Could I use my existing HSW tank for storage of the Hot Water (imagine I could just connect up the hot water from the ASHP into the cold water inlet of the existing tank?
    Any particular reason you suggested the Daikin over other brands on the market? Who are teh competition?
    Hey Well depending on your situation, sometimes you can use an existing cylinder but it must be incorporated correctly.

In relation to the reason as to why i suggested Daikin is that they are reliable!!
    In australia and NZ rheem sell them but all of the write ups on them are bad, this is why it is best to go with a quality product.

Here is the review page..

http://www.productreview.com.au/show...?item_id=53009

andylk47 Guest

Cool Re: Air Sourced Heat Pumps that provide Hot & Cold Air Conditinmer and Hot Water

Rhemm Heat Pump - what a bad news story. After initial research I was focussed on the Siddons product for efficiency and qulaity but wanted to take it one step further and see if I coudl also integrate aircon too. I called Diakin in Sydney yesterday and asked about the Altherma and he didn't know much about it and referred me to my local agent. They know less about it saying that they had heard about them but that Daikin hadn't provided much visibility on them so they could help. When I explained wehat they were they said they woudln't be able to help as plumbing woudl be required for the water. Suggest another mob who haven't called me back yet. I have no idea on teh cost of eth unit in Australia but if I used UK figures from this forum andteh next I'm guess about AUD8,000 though I'm not sure if this includes install as well. I'm guessing not as there woudl be ducting, header units or vents (and fans for the vents). I saw an advert onteh Daikin site for a house with teh Heat Pump but it was all about hot water - underfloor heating , pool heater not aircon. I'm getting the feeling it's getting too hard which is sad as it shows Australia is years behind the rest of the world for cost effective solutions...

Re: Air Sourced Heat Pumps that provide Hot & Cold Air Conditioner and Hot Water

Quote Originally Posted by brunstar View Post
    Hey Well depending on your situation, sometimes you can use an existing cylinder but it must be incorporated correctly.

In relation to the reason as to why i suggested Daikin is that they are reliable!!
    In Australia and NZ rheem sell them but all of the write ups on them are bad, this is why it is best to go with a quality product.

Here is the review page..

http://www.productreview.com.au/show...?item_id=53009
    You are being slightly disingenuous. I am not suggesting you are biased in any way but You should also declare an interest if you work for Daikin for example..

Re: Air Sourced Heat Pumps that provide Hot & Cold Air Conditioner and Hot Water

Quote Originally Posted by multisync View Post
    You are being slightly disingenuous. I am not suggesting you are biased in any way but You should also declare an interest if you work for Daikin for example..
    It is not who you work for it is how far you would like to research something and i have researched all technical documentation on heat pumps and they all have pro's and cons.
    why waste a post, the posts are about the equipment on them and not the people posting on them.

Australia is not behind that much they just do not use wet systems like they do in the uk and do not use half as much gas as the UK do so this is why they have not had to sell air to water heat pumps.
    Depending on your capacity why don't you do solar hot water and get the government rebate and top up with immersion heater in economy tariff?

Get a ducted system have one air con to serve the whole house doing heating and cooling.

i hope that this helps.

andylk47 Guest

Reasons I moved away from solar was that my flat pitched roof faces East West so I would need the system to be set up to face North. Also extra plumbing and additonal roof structural support would all add cost. Then I considered Instantaneous Gas till I stumbled upon ASHP. The efficiencies of ones like Siddons showed for Sydney I wouldn't need a booster and could save up to 75% of my power bill over my current conventional Electric HWS. Further investigation showed that systems like the Altherma can also do Warm/Cool Aircon so I thought why not get a system that can do everything. Problem is I can't seem to find out much about this locally or any alternative. The closest I can find on the net for Australia is an ASHP that will heat under floor, pool and domestic water, nothing about airconditioning. Hence the reason I've joined this forum. At present I'm being quoted AUD4,000 to get a Siddons ASHP for my house instaled with about $1000 worth of rebates. If I can find out the cost of an integrated system that also does the RC Aircon I can work out if its worth importing a unit in and getting someone here to help with the install. Any ideas?

contact Daikin Australia and they can appoint you a dealer that can help you out as not everybody would sell them.