Dear,

In our plant, we have 2 Carrier 30G/H series chillers on the old R22 refrigerant charge, that we took out of production this year. Mainly because of the R22 problematics and stocking of this charge.

Because we are looking for the possibility to add freecoolers to our existent ice water circuit (setpoint 11°C), i was wondering if it was possible to use the old Carrier Chillers for freecooling purposes ?

I would remove the compressors, heat exchanger, etc, and would connect the icewater to the condensor pipes. (with a circulation pump offcourse) In an ambient temperature that is low enough, i would turn on the ventilators of the condensor, so that the cold air flows through the condensor, and cools the icewater.

In order to prevent the system from freezing, i thought of adding a valve to bypass the system so that the water keeps flowing through the condensor, and passes a small electrical heating resistor. In that way, i would monitor the circulating water and keep it warm enough.

Is this a good idea ? I know that the rentability will not be as good as a new specific freecooler, but i hate it that the chillers are just standing there...

Thanks for the replies !