lemannsquattro Guest

Post Daikin Super Inverter Questions - New Controller, Zoning and Fan Control

Hi guys, I have a RZP125DV and a FHYCP125DVE with a BRC1C51/61 ducted unit that has shorted a compressor hard to earth after 6yrs. 1yr out of warranty. Complete failure of the motor 0.0MOhms on a 500V Megger to earth. Winding resistances all test OK, but compressor totally ****ged. Pretty poor for a unit that only runs 6 to 8 months a year normally continuously as they recommend. Had the unit replaced and had to swap all the cards or they wouldn't warrant the compressor, but there was nothing wrong with the input filter and rectifier cards, the inverter card was trying to soft start a 0.37kW 3Phase drive I tested it with and was outputting 6kHz pulses with 30VAC RMS, but the unit is back together with new cards and compressor and the house is warm again.

Can I fit a new zone controller either the BRC230Z4 or BRC24Z4 to my unit to replace the BRC1C51/61 controller? But install the zone dampers later? I mainly want to use the 7 day timer function with this controller.

Can I also some how adjust the indoor unit fan to sleep (ie turn the internal fan off when up to temp) as the house stays warm, but the unit stops blowing warm air when up to temp. The unit is sized correctly as on a -6degC morning will just maintain 22degC internal running flat out and defrosting every hour or two. But when running indoor at 22degC with 10 to 15degC Outdoor. The unit will back the heat out of the indoor heat exchanger and blow cool air around the house, it would be much nicer for it to switch off like my grandparents one they have (also a Daikin Super Inverter ducted) and save on running the 1kW fan/blower unit.

Hope you can help. Cheers, Rayner.

Re: Daikin Super Inverter Questions - New Controller, Zoning and Fan Control

Yes you can fit BRC230Z4 or BRC24Z4 . May not get much response about this because it is a Aussie Product.
    Have you looked at the BRC1E61. If you dont need zones then look at the BRC1E
    No longer Active

lemannsquattro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Pilot View Post
    Yes you can fit BRC230Z4 or BRC24Z4 . May not get much response about this because it is a Aussie Product.
    Have you looked at the BRC1E61. If you dont need zones then look at the BRC1E
    Thanks Crash Pilot,

Yes I have looked at the BRC1E61 which looks pretty good. I have heard that zoning can save 20% of your running costs. Is it worth doing, or should I get better manually dampers at the airflow through the house is pretty uneven currently. Have tried to adjust with the dampers at the vents but these leak and don't hold position. Thanks again.

Dont know about the 20% savings. You need to look at how the unit has been installed. One of the base points that effects any A/C is the airflow. To get the rated capacity and for the unit to operated you need the rated airflow. This unit will be around 1000l/s. The ductwork is designed based on the fan curve. Say if your unit is designed to have 8 grilles to acheive the rated airflow and you then zone it to have 4 grilles then you are halving the ductwork /creating static pressure and reducing airflow quantity. This will effect the performance and in some cases increase your power bill.
    It is inportant that you have a qualified installer look at your system if you want to add zones.

Also if the layout of your house means while zoned the return air is drawing from a dead zone (Zoned area not conditioned) this can cause temp control problems and also force the system into defrost every 25 minutes due to the deminished capacity rule in the defrost control logic.

Hard question to answer.

Benifit of zone controller is that you can switch zones via the schedule timer and switch sensors.

If you dont need the above then the BRC1E is about 1/3 the price / looks better and has more functions.

Adjusting air at the grills is not the best way. The correct way is to install inline dampers.The poor mans way that 90% of jobs are done is adjusting by the way the duct is run.
    More flow= Straigher duct/less static/more air volume
    Less Air = Sharper bend / more staic / less air
    Air will take path of least resistance.

Doing at grille will create a higher velocity and noise.
    No longer Active

lemannsquattro Guest

Thanks Crash Pilot. Will look in to the E61 and some manual inline dampers. Thanks for your comments.