jurrasic prescold

Hi A freind has an old 50's prescold he wants me to get going it's or was R12 Now I know that filling with R134a is debatable but if I fit a r134a pot will the cap be ok and will the pressure be tolerated
    Dev

Re: jurrasic prescold

Quote Originally Posted by devlin maguire View Post
    Hi A freind has an old 50's prescold he wants me to get going it's or was R12 Now I know that filling with R134a is debatable but if I fit a r134a pot will the cap be ok and will the pressure be tolerated
    Dev
    Dev why not get a recycled compressor and charge the system with a drop-in replacement for R12.
    You will avoid the problems of oil contamination.
    Give RESL a call, they sell recycled compressors.
    01455 842925 Fax 01455 842263

Quote Originally Posted by devlin maguire View Post
    Dev
    Installing a R134a compressor will be fine as long as the capacity is identical, you remove the existing oil per the manufacturers specifications and charge it properly using R12 to R134a guidelines.

Here's a link to Copelands guidelines.

See section 26 at:
    http://www.hvacrinfo.com/ae_index.htm
    Thousands of HVACR manufacturers links! Visit: www.hvacrinfo.com

If its a very old unit... what kind of expansion device? I would be careful if it use a capillary tube. Kind of hard to calculate the correct new length/dia if so.

The R12&R134 oils are NOT compatible and very difficult to wash out. Sugestions: replacement compressor for R600 gas (mineral oil) , the use subsitute gas or R600. The R134 route will need wash out, and extending the capillary by about 10% as a rule of thumb, about R600 lentgh changes - can't help (try the same). If you do not remove all mineral oil you will probably have it suffer the black death (acid and oil colour).