Thread: F-Gas Practical

CoolCallum Guest

Question F-Gas Practical

Hi there

Getting geared up to get the new f-gas C&G 2079
    Certificate soon. I'm pretty confident about the theory side of things, just wondering if someone can give me a rundown of what the practical will involve, and roughly how long it should take.

Thank you in advance!

Cool Callum

Re: F-Gas Practical

Hi,
    I did mine at south birmingham college, dont know if it differs much but my practical involved identifying what gas and how much gas was in the system, there was a log book with the system that give you the system info left by the previous candidate, however he did ask how you identify what gas is present using other means, then i had to reclaim the gas, cut out a piece of pipe and replace it using flare nuts. pressure test in accordance bsen378 and vac and re gas, check again for leaks, check SH and SC
    values, adjust the TEV until you are satisfied the system is running ok, be aware they may put a deliberate fault on the system for you to find.
    hope this helps and all the best
    kev

Is that all you have to do then?, I was told it was harder than the 6078. Didn't you have to do any pipework and brazing, then slice through the joint to see if its filled all the way down the swage?

My CITB/6078 runs out in October 2011, after which it will be obsolete so I will have to replace it with the 6079. I've heard so many rumours about the 6079, like... you can't work on fridge without it, most people fail it, you can't buy gas without it, if you've got the 6078 its obsolete and not valid, and you can't find leaks without it.

We were told that the city and guilds 6078, were recognised internationally. But try telling that to a prospective employer in North America, they've never heard of of them. You still have to do their equivalent exams to be able to work on fridge. And in Canada there with you for life and you don't have to splash out every 3 years or so to renew them like you do in the UK.

A few myths answered.

2079 is a European recognised qualification and covers the whole of the EU.
    If you do not have the 2079 or J11 after July 2011 you will break the law if you work on a fridge.
    Your company will need to be fully registered by July 2011 or they will break the law.

2079 requires candidates to prove knowledge and ability.

Practical

You will be expected to do a braze and prove it to be sound. You then destroy the joint to proove solder is fully penertrated.

You will be expected to explain the system and then fit gauges
    remove refrigerant
    remove part of the suction pipe and refit a new piece
    pressure test
    leak test and find a forced leak
    remove OFN
    vac to correct level
    charge in liquid form to receiver and suction
    remove gauges.

Failure rate is about 19% first attempt and 8% second attempt.

coolrunnings

Last edited by cool runings; 06-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Sorry I meant to say the 2078 not the 6078, without being modest, I've got that many certs I forget which numbers they are. I only look at them if I need to, which isn't often.

That last statement about myths isn't accurate. If you have the 2078 it is valid until it runs out, and then you have to take the 2079. The 2078 last for 3 years from the date of issue, I know folk that have only just done it in the past 6 months or so, them and me have had it clarified they don't have to resit for the 2079 until it runs out. In my case it will be October 2011 and I won't be breaking any laws. Eventually the 2078 01 will be come obsolete and will be fully replaced with the 2079. But the 2078 02 will continue to be available as long as there is a demand. http://www.cityandguilds.com/documen...April_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post

That last statement about myths isn't accurate. If you have the 2078 it is valid until it runs out, and then you have to take the 2079. The 2078 last for 3 years from the date of issue,

Do not be fooled.

If you do not have the 2079 or J11 by July 2011 and work on a fridge you will break the LAW....

The 2078 if you have it is valid till July 2011.
    If you take the 2078 now, you are being fooled and conned into paying for somthing that has no worth what so ever.

If you want to do the 2078, do it but it is worthless.

coolrunnings

Quote Originally Posted by cool runings View Post
    Do not be fooled.

If you do not have the 2079 or J11 by July 2011 and work on a fridge you will break the LAW....

The 2078 if you have it is valid till July 2011.
    If you take the 2078 now, you are being fooled and conned into paying for somthing that has no worth what so ever.

If you want to do the 2078, do it but it is worthless.

coolrunnings

The 2078-02 that I hold now is valid till October 2011, after which I will have to re take it otherwise I won't be able to work on ammonia systems, and I will be breaking the LAW.... So as you can see the 2078 does have value after all. As there is no replacement for the 2078-02 as yet.

The 2078-01 that I have will run out as you say in July 2011, afterwhich I will have to take the 2079 if I still want to work with fluoronated gases.

The 2078-02 that I hold now is valid till October 2011, after which I will have to re take it otherwise I won't be able to work on ammonia systems, and I will be breaking the LAW.... So as you can see the 2078 does have value after all. As there is no replacement for the 2078-02 as yet..
    The ammonia qual will not run out, not if it is the City & Guilds qualification.
    There is no time limit on the 2078 - 02 ammonia but the CITB one does run out. If your qualification runs out in October 2011 are you sure it is the C&G 2078??

The 2078-01 that I have will run out as you say in July 2011, afterwhich I will have to take the 2079 if I still want to work with fluoronated gases.

You are right.

2078 - 01 is good until July 2011.

All the best

Ozone