JoeKool42 Guest

Wink Outdoor chilling of ice

I know little about refrigeration but I have an ambitious concept, I would like to work ice (artistic work) in the outdoors, but the environment is quite warm, as in 20 degrees C. I am wondering if it is technically feasible to try build an outdoor chiller using a normal monoblock freezer unit. This would obviously be very inefficient but I would like to firstly work ice outside and preserve it for a while.

I have thought this could be done by creating a blanket of cold air above the work area.

I would like to know if any person has thoughts on the practicality of this?

thanks

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Outdoor chilling of ice

How much money do you have? is the first question.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

JoeKool42 Guest

Thank you for replying, as an individual with no company involved, I don't have a boat of cash for it, but I can build something small scale and see how it goes.

So to answer, I can scale down until I can pay for it

how big are youre sculptures ?
    what cind of ice are you using?
    how many place you have to spare?
    on what budget are you planning to do this, ceep in mind that "free" is not possible, and a big bucket could meane an nearly empty cup for the systemprovider.

Ice

ps; workt on a project a few years ago, but the money runs out.

HI Joe
    you could try a couple of big plastic bags inflated with a fan to create an insulated environment. Then use an evap coil above your work piece. You could even chill the air blown into the two big plastic bags. Depending on how big you want you could look at something like a cheap plastic glass house shaded.

why not using a icewaterseeling? its cheap and can be made of plastic pipes. make a big evaporator, say 2mtr by 2mtr, and hang it above you and youre work, 2mtr high and use icewater of 2°C, the walls can be made of plastic to isolate the location.
    its cheap and works verry wel. you need a small chiller plant, some plastic tubing and a lot of good will.

Ice

2-cents worth.....

If your working of ice does not involve high temperatures or flames; and you want to remain portable: Consider an ice fishing tent. They aren't real cheap but they are highly effective and roll down to the size of a large sleeping bag. Cooling the interior below freezing for extended periods would be tough but for short periods, to near freezing: Crush some ice; put it in a double pan in the top with a fan....As you carve, put your fines back in the pan.