Electronic Leak detectors

Hey lads,

looking at getting a new electronic leak detector, My ****ty old cps is driving me nuts.
    I know ya cant beat bubbles but there are times when you have to use an electronic.
    Just wanted some opinions on the best out there.....

Re: Electronic Leak detectors

There you go!
    I quite like my CPS sniffer, whereas some of my colleagues like their Javac versions.
    Down to personal preference I suppose.
    I spent years hating the damn things but have slowly realised they have their place.
    I still back it up with snoop to confirm what I may have found.
    Cheers Grizzly

new yellow jacket seems pretty good.

Hi licencetochill
    I have used several models of CPS over the years and swear by them. I spoke with John (VP CPS) at ARBS exhibition and he informed me there was a new one coming onto the market in the next few months, that was a few months ago. www.cpsproducts.com John also said they are fine tuning a new diagnostics instrument to measure all we need with data logging - sounded really cool.

Just asking: would those sniffers be accurate out doors on a windy day?
    I was in Belgium last week, and it took us 2 mins to find a nice leak with ultrasounds where technicians reckonned they'd never have found it with an electronic one. And would have lasted hours using soapy water.

regards,

Nando.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri3Oil System View Post
    I was in Belgium last week, and it took us 2 mins to find a nice leak with ultrasounds where technicians reckonned they'd never have found it with an electronic one. And would have lasted hours using soapy water.

regards,

Nando.
    Surely Nando
    You cannot be serious.
    That's like comparing a candle to a search light.
    Ultrasonic leak detection is brilliant.
    But even the large companies don't have them as standard issue.
    They are brought out when deemed necessary.
    We are on about day to day electronic Leak detectors.
    And yes they are useless outside if windy!
    Grizzly

Grizzly, I'm always serious
    In my opinion, ultrasounds, a proper one, are beyond electronic, you can detect any type of gas, even you can find leakages when vaccuum, valves malfunctions or blocks... But that's just my opinion.
    We will organize an ultrasounds training in November in Madrid, 1 or 2 days for leaks detection and 2 or 3 for bearings.
    If any of you are interested, I'll be happy to inform you eventually.

Regards,

Nando.

B”H

Nando,

My understanding was that ultrasonic detector could be useful only in absolutely quit area. Is it a true statement? Which model would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
    B”H

Nando,

My understanding was that ultrasonic detector could be useful only in absolutely quit area. Is it a true statement? Which model would you recommend?
    hi Michaelm,

Ultrasounds are affected by other comptetitors ultrasounds in the ambient. The environment can be very noisy, but it doesn't matter as long as there are not other ultrasounds. Anyway, it's relatively simple to "eliminate" those ultrasounds.

We've tested several, and we use Ultraprobe, from an American manufacturer. Their smallest model is engough for leaks detection.

Regards,

Nando.

weve got a javac dtek and its flipping brilliant. ive found leaks on flared fittings with only a trace of refrigerant that does not show up with bubbles, even though its pumped up to 400psi.

not particularly awesome outside, even if it isnt windy.. but thats the nature of electronic leak detection.

i wish id seen an ultrasonic at arbs... did any exhibitors have any on show?

cheers for the input guys

Apart from the obvious benefits of ultrasonic, it seems the majority of people iv talked to rate the Javac dtek(Inficon in the US). Iv been looking around and can get one on Ebay at a pretty reasonable price..About half compared to buying one here in NZ thru Javac (nz$1400).

Quote Originally Posted by Fri3Oil System View Post

regards,

Nando.
    Just looked once in your profile, you're posts smells to hidden advertisements for your products and/or your company. You're far from a neutral poster.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

come on peter
    at least hes not pushing his flushing doovermewatsit this time
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

If your in the EU make sure the sensitivity can detect 5mg per year or less to comply with the F Gas regs, before you part with your money. As already mentioned the Javac dtek is a good one with
    Last edited by Quality; 23-07-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Hi Peter,

you may smell many things, but the fact is that you refused my kind and polite invitation to meet each other in Belgium some months ago. By not even answering.
    As I have said many times, I came in here to learn, and also share the little knowledge I have. And, from my perspective, you're all not that good engineers when you don't even want to listen to new technologies that are making your work much better and professional. You may think youre a great engineer just beacuse you've written thousand of posts here, but you can't just remove the acids from a burnt system, and you only accuse me of advertisement... well, it would be advertisement if there were many other cleaning systems, and I would be talking about my better price or conditions... we have a very special patented device which is being used by many important companies worldwide, but maybe your arrogance did not allow you to learn a little bit more of my product than looking at my profile and laugh about my posts.

If you are so smart that you do not need my product(cleaning system), that maybe because you have more work here in the forum than on site.

Regards,

Nando.

Mr Nando.
    You are the arrogant one! It would be very cool if another fridgie was giving advice about a great product. But you are blowing your own trumpet - being biased and on the verge of advertising (which is not allowed), you even go as far as to rubbish other proven (test of time) products in our field. No disrespect intended here and were all into hearing about new technologies, so lighten up a little and don't pick on our site moderators.
    Last edited by Tesla; 23-07-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Target typo

My very first post was banned because it seemed advertisement. Understood, and corrected my writting manners. I have felt offended by someone who does not even answer a polite invitation.
    I do not express my opinion on fields I ignore, but Peter_1 and others do laugh on my posts, referring that I am not an engineer, and talking about our system that they have never tested or watched.

If you felt offended, I am sorry. I might have been a little hard (rude), and so I apologize to those who could have felt ofended as well, but I am just a little tired of being "humilliated" every time I try to give my humble opinion here.

I just think it is not fair, as my intention was to inform you that you can solve some technical problems.

As I have said, we invest quite a lot in international exhibitions and meetings, and other activities. We do not look for free advertisement in this kind of forums. If you'd visited last 3 Chillventas/Ikk, Mostra Convegno, and other, you might know a little about us.

"My" opinion, is obvioulsy suoported to our engineers, so it's not just a "communication manager" opinion.

Again, I reiterate my apologies to the forum users, but keep my will to defend from attacks, whoever they come from.

Regards,

Nando

Quote Originally Posted by licencetochill View Post
    cheers for the input guys

Apart from the obvious benefits of ultrasonic, it seems the majority of people iv talked to rate the Javac dtek(Inficon in the US). Iv been looking around and can get one on Ebay at a pretty reasonable price..About half compared to buying one here in NZ thru Javac (nz$1400).
    I would recommend the Javac dtek also, from experience it is the best electronic leak detector that I have ever used.